Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get this stupid fucking stretch blocks off my r1. I have a new master link and a chain breaker. My big question the reason I haven't done it yet is do I need a chain riveter? It's a I-ring chain and the master has a clip.

So I break the old the master link use the Dermal to cut the other links I need out. Now putting in the new master can I just use a wrech or something to squeeze it together then put the clip on?

For some reason I can't think of the right way to do it and it's bothering me so fucking much. Any help would be fucking amazing

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Yeah you should be able to get it back together with a pair of pliers. Take the extensions off and put it all back together before you cut your chain so you can measure everything better. Make sure the open piece of the clip faces the back of the bike when it's on the top run of the chain

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: shotgun

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
No need for a riveter with a clip type master link. I like using a big pair of vice grips to press the side plate on. They seem to give me better leverage as I can adjust them, clamp, readjust, clamp, etc.

Later, Doug

Reactions: shotgun

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I dont trust clip master links. They use to stock them at my shop before i started working there, i never reordered them when we ran out.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have another chain that's the same pitch off one of my zx6 and I was going to see if it fit and it would save me the time of breaking all the links I need to. I hope that works I was just worried that I'd fuck it up. It's just one of those simple things that for sone reason I'm scared I'll fuck up but fuck it I'm doing it tomorrow after work. Wish me luck

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont trust clip master links. They use to stock them at my shop before i started working there, i never reordered them when we ran out.
What's wrong with the clips? So they break easier? Or are you just a fan of doing it the hard way

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
What's wrong with the clips? So they break easier? Or are you just a fan of doing it the hard way
No just a fan of doing it the RIGHT way. Anything over 428 pitch should use rivet. The motion pro chain rivet tool is cheap and absolutely worth it

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I have another chain that's the same pitch off one of my zx6 and I was going to see if it fit and it would save me the time of breaking all the links I need to. I hope that works I was just worried that I'd fuck it up. It's just one of those simple things that for sone reason I'm scared I'll fuck up but fuck it I'm doing it tomorrow after work. Wish me luck
You should only have to cut the rivets in one link to shorten the chain. Just measure how long you want it and cut. Like the old saying goes, Measure twice and cut once.

Reactions: Streetfighterkz

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should
only have to cut the rivets in one link to shorten the chain. Just measure how long you want it and cut. Like the old saying goes, Measure twice and cut once.
I see what you're saying I know I have 43 tooth in the back find out what I have in the front most likely a 15 or 16. How do I do the math for that? How would I know how many to chop off?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No just a fan of doing it the RIGHT way. Anything over 428 pitch should use rivet. The motion pro chain rivet tool is cheap and absolutely worth it
I will look into the motion pro rivet tool if rather have it not snap on me. Now my new master link came with the clip style can I get the rivet tool and rivet it then or do I need to get a new master link that is rivet not clip?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does I have to be rivet link? Is there a difference ?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
yea theres a difference. the clip links have a slit that holds the clip in place where the rivet have a hole in the end that u spread with the rivet tool to hold it in place. i sell them for $10.95. and got my rivet tool on sale for like 22$ i think if i remember right

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Link to that please. I can't get a rivet master for $7 the clip master was only $5

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here's an even better one guys, I bought it and it works great; I've done several chains with it.

It's the cheapest I could find at $35

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380652097694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Listen to Jellyfingers DO NOT USE A CLIP LINK ON A STREET BIKE! So many damn stories of people getting seriously injured or bikes getting messed up. It's just not worth it, peace of mind is worth $35 and a little bit more work; do it right and never worry about it again.

Dremel/grind the pins on one side of the plate, use the breaking attachment of this tool and press the pins through. Remove your link/section to the length you need. Clean the inside of the links you're connecting with cue tips (ear cleaners), apply your grease to the ends of the master link's pins. Then using the press plate, press your plates together after you've installed the O rings. Do not overpress, try to watch when the plates contact the rings, or if it's the same measurements of your chain use some vernier calipers to measure your link width and compare to the links of the chain. Take your time and don't try to press it in one go, remove every 1/4-1/2 turn and check yourself.

Riveting is easy, just try to get a good 25% of the pin flare, buy extra master links in case you mess up. Pressing is the tricky part imo, I still fuck it up and I've done a lot of chains.

·
Moto Madness Customs
3,444 Posts
The Motion Pro tool is garbage. I've broken 2 of them with minimal pressure on them. Motion pro gets them from a manufacturer in China for about $7 a kit haha. I know because alot of my headlights come from the same manufacturer. The body is a cast which flexes. The Ebay link above looks similar to the RK Chain tool which is a much better and stronger design.

As for Clip style, they are ok for up to about 600cc. most of them time they fail is because people dont fully install them properly. Anything over 600cc should have a rivet master. little bit more of a pain in the ass to install but your safety is worth it.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
leave the bike stretched. chrome everything you can get your dick skinners on and sell it to someone who wears FuBU Jerseys and listens to Hip Hop, A LOT.

You will get a Hefty Return on your money

1 - 20 of 21 Posts