Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

As I promised in the beginner's section, the start of 2012 marks the start of a 4-month build on my '95 Honda VFR. I bought the bike 2 years ago, all was well until I lowsided on some gravel last June (the day before I MC'd my sister's wedding). It was still rideable after that, just some scratches for me and the bike.

Then, one misty day in October, I skipped breakfast. I blame this for what happened next. I caught a break in traffic and thought it would be a good idea to zig up an onramp at the same speeds I would under dry, warm conditions. Obviously that didn't end well. I had a lot of time to reflect on my stupidity as I slid from about 50 mph to a stop (fortunately not meeting any curbs or solid objects along the way).

But enough with the past, where do we go from here? To be honest, I only have a few vague ideas at this point. Here are a few ideas, plans, and constraints.

-"new" rear shock from a CBR 929 to replace the high-mileage stock unit
- 8-spoke wheel from 3rd gen VFR (if the wrecked bike shows up online again, missed it the first time around).
- cafe-style bubble screen (I want to keep all the stock gauges)
-classic round headlight (the cafe bubble has a cutout for a rectangular... I'm not a fan)
-Japanese lettering for "Honda" or "VFR"
-potential paint job: black with gold trim (a tribute to my dad's Norton Commando)
-white lettering for tire sidewalls
-belly pan to hide the less-than-pretty routing of the V-4 headers.
-whether or not to keep the passenger seat and pegs... I'm up for discussion. Convince me one way or another.
-low cost. This is key, I'm a student with negative income.

Overall, the bike has to stay reasonably practical and comfortable, I'm doing a 5000km trip with a few buddies starting in May. Which brings me to the name of the project, "April Whine". April is when I hope to have it completed to the point of being able to take it on the trip, and the whine comes from those sweet, sweet gear-driven cams. April Wine is also a Canadian rock band from waaaay back in the day, but I don't know how well-known they are around here.

Anyways, I'll be posting pictures as often as possible, and if you guys have feedback or ideas, I'm all ears.

Cheers for now!

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention, I started the teardown and cleanup of the bike yesterday, here are a few pics. First order of the day now is to clean up the wiring and tabs on the frame, and to prep for the 929 shock.

And here's one with the cafe bubble roughed up:

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i dig the bubble on there. you may have to glass it to make the headlight you want fit. and with a nice stainless or ti header that exhaust looks killer.

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not feeling the "bubble'' AT ALL . But looking forward to seeing were this goes.
I'm hoping to keep the bike curvy like it originally was, and probably gonna 'glass a cafe-style tail to match so the bubble doesn't seem as out of place.

Luke I am your father lol
Haha there's a VFR in the bike-specific section with a Darth Vader mask... and I'm not one to copy. ;)

i dig the bubble on there. you may have to glass it to make the headlight you want fit. and with a nice stainless or ti header that exhaust looks killer.
Thanks! The plan was to glass an insert for the round light, you nailed it. A full stainless exhaust would be sweet, but unless I get my hands on some cheap/free tubing, it's pretty far down the list. :(

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Custom subframe and tail to create some negative space around the SSSA, possibly a custom wheel, accentuate the crazy exhaust by using stainless or powder coat, or wrap, headlight of your choice (or making).
V4s are sweet and viffers make cool fighters.

·
Gone Ridding!
686 Posts
Nice start. I am watching this one.

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mini-update tonight. My 929 shock came in! Time to start making the spacer to get it to the correct length, then that goes in with a bit of battery box and coil rodeo-ing.

Relocated the ignition coils from outside the frame to under the airbox, this seemed too easy...

And it was, until I tried putting the lid back on. Snorkel, meet coils. Damn. But this is why I carry a jackknife...
Before:

And after:

Also played with the gauge and headlight stay, turns out the gauge mounting tabs were all but broken off. So I'm toying with the idea of tossing the gauges (and the cafe bubble) and picking up a headlight from a newer Gixxer. Also looking at a tail from a Kawi zx6r. Basically going from my "rounded" theme to a lot sharper of a look.

Thoughts?

Reactions: kayaflex

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After some deliberation, decided I want to stick with the cafe theme of the bike, but I'm still gonna have to ditch the stock gauges or cut them down. That's for later, though. Pictures first.

Stock position of the fairing stay:

Made some mounting tabs to make it more horizontal and bring it upwards a bit (to clear the bars)

Here's the cafe bubble set on the fairing stay, gotta figure out a way of permanently attaching it.

Bars at full lock, do they clear the fairing? Yes. That's more than I could say with the stock fairing, something got twisted before I even bought the bike.

Rider's -eye view of the dash area and wiring harness abortion.

The view when tucking down for those 120+ mph stretches. :D

And the trimmed lower fairings, gonna figure out a direction for the belly pan. This picture will probably be the basis of future photoshop ideas.

Probably gonna play with photoshop for tail ideas, as well as paint schemes. As always, comments and feedback are appreciated (and sometimes ignored :D)

Reactions: Brougham

·
Lone Wolf
81 Posts
Looks great so far other then the cafe bubble..Like others have said not feelin it at all. What condition are the upper parts of the original fairings in? Could you trim them down a bit to give the bike a look similar to its predecessor the VF750F Interceptor?

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
It's good to see someone DFW!

I'm not a big fan of the cafe bubbles in general, but can usually appreciate the look of a well built cafe.

I got looking at your positioning of the bubble this morning and something just seemed a bit "off". I think the bubble would look a lot sharper if you could get it tucked into the bars a bit more. It'd probably require chopping up the fair stays, but if you could drop the bubble a bit and get them tucked in closer to the bars it'd probably look far better. Maybe get the top of the bubble, just before the windscreen, to follow the top line of the gas tank.

If you want, I can try to do a rough photoshop of it later.

Another thing I was thinking of that could look good for the cafe style your going for is changing the shape of the tank a bit. It'd require a bit of fab work, but I think taking the indentations out of the top of the tank, where the Honda symbols are, could really clean up the lines of the bike.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Right on man. I just sold a Vfr fighter built last year. Let me know if you like any of my mods. I can provide info

Here's how she looked when I sold it

·
Not Broke, Just Cheap!
493 Posts
Right on man. I just sold a Vfr fighter built last year. Let me know if you like any of my mods. I can provide info
Hope you don't mind if I ask a couple questions.

Now, I'm sure if I actually tried looking, you'd have a build thread with the answers, but, what front forks did you put on? and, where's the oil cooler?

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's good to see someone DFW!

I got looking at your positioning of the bubble this morning and something just seemed a bit "off". I think the bubble would look a lot sharper if you could get it tucked into the bars a bit more. It'd probably require chopping up the fair stays, but if you could drop the bubble a bit and get them tucked in closer to the bars it'd probably look far better. Maybe get the top of the bubble, just before the windscreen, to follow the top line of the gas tank.

As it is right now, there's maybe an inch before the brake/clutch levers hit the fairing at full lock. Vertically, the reservoirs juuuust skim right under. So not much room to move in its current configuration. I'm gonna move the clip ons to just below the upper triple, and if the riding position isn't unbearable (5,000km trip in May...) then I can for sure drop the bubble down and bring it in. Thanks for the ideas. :)

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks like just a "U" connecting the oil cooler ports in the block... did it run noticeably hotter at all?

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had a bit of time, here's a quick photoshop of the direction I'm (hopefully) headed. I suppose it's more vintage GP bike/cafe than fighter, but I'm not gonna bother moving the thread since it is a build project after all.

Vroom vroom. I'm excited to make this happen.

Edit: and a picture with the lowered bubble.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts