Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looks great so far other then the cafe bubble..Like others have said not feelin it at all. What condition are the upper parts of the original fairings in? Could you trim them down a bit to give the bike a look similar to its predecessor the VF750F Interceptor?
Upper fairings are pretty ratty, the mounting points are generally smashed away unfortunately. Now that I've got my photoshop idea up, the bubble won't seem so out of place.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I ask a couple questions.

Now, I'm sure if I actually tried looking, you'd have a build thread with the answers, but, what front forks did you put on? and, where's the oil cooler?
Front end is 2005 GSXR1000. I used the Vfr stem, had my machinist add weld to the stem to increase it's diameter by 1mm, then throw it on the lathe and mill it to be a tight fit.

The oil cooler was deleted. Fully faired the bike ran hot due to lack of fresh air over the motor. Naked, the bike doesn't require it unless you live in the desert. I used 2 oil cooler fittings I had for spare, cut the ends of the fittings where they attach the motor and turned them into each other and welded them up. The u-turn allows oil to run though the stock passage way, just without passing the core of the non-existent oil cooler.

You can also ditch the fuel pump as the 750 is still carburated. The pump is just to get the last 1/5 of the tank into the float bowls because they are higher up on the bike then the bottom of the tank and gravity won't force it up. Without the pump and the cooler you can easily clean up the lines of the bike.

There is a build thread just look through my topics.

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
You can ditch the snorkel entirely if you want, just cover the hole with some screen. You're going to need that space for the rest of the harness.

Also, it's possible to wire in CBR600F4i or 98 900RR gauges. I have a spare set of 900 gauges if you're interested.

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update time... two steps forward and one step back.

I've had a lot of time to think (and not wrench) over the past week due to the -45 C weather (that's -49 F to you 'Mericans!) and the inability of my garage's furnace to keep up to shit like that.

I've changed my mind for the last time with that cafe bubble. I moved the clipons to below the upper triple to clear the bubble. Sat back, decided I would rather have a comfy riding position than go all-out for the cafe look, so off with the bubble and the clipons are back to stock height, shown below.

I also installed the 929 shock after making a spacer to keep it the same length as the VFR's stocker (actually a few mm longer to raise the tail, for handling and such). It feels so much better just sitting on it, can't wait to see how it translates to road manners.

I also trimmed the snorkel again to make room in front of the airbox for wiring and such. Bleh. Can't wait for that rodeo.

The next big push is to get the oil cooler removed and bypassed, I already started into it...

Since I don't have access to a welder in my garage, I'll have to make the bypass at school. I pressed a piece of cardboard against the oily ports on the block, this will give me the outlines so I can make a jig to weld the flanges at the correct angles and distance apart.

That's where she stands as of now. Gonna look into a bucket headlight next, I suppose. Overall, I'm shooting for a clean and simple look, maybe doing a gunmetal for the paint. I still wanna keep the reverse cone exhaust idea, though.

Comments? Suggestions? Post em up, whether or not I take heed is another matter... :D

Cheers for now.

·
Professional Idiot
101 Posts
what do u mean by bypassing the oiol cooler mate? ure not surely running without an oil cooler? :p i had a vfr a while back i was fightering and the oil coller was a pain!

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
what do u mean by bypassing the oiol cooler mate? ure not surely running without an oil cooler? :p i had a vfr a while back i was fightering and the oil coller was a pain!
Hey, I know how much of a pain that cooler is, which is why I am running without one. Regarding your concerns, the only time the bike ever really warms up is sitting in traffic on +30C days, and I'm rarely in those situations. (ie lack of traffic or I'm on the highway). And I'm definitely not a high-rpm addict, around town or otherwise. So I followed Shane Liberty's lead and just looped it through a U-bend instead of running up the hoses and through the cooler.

Speaking of which... more progress tonight. One step forward, no steps back. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, I didn't have my less-crappy camera with me for the construction pics.

I started by cutting off the hard line where it seemed appropriate...

... Then did so for both of them.

From here, I had the length that I needed, but the flanges needed to be rotated. Chop chop.

Here's the jig from a piece of scrap steel, this hole pattern seemed to work out pretty good.

Bolted up.

Mocked up.

Tacked up.

Welded up!

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, the longest part was prepping the jig and making sure the holes all lined up. I haven't fitted it to the bike yet (it's easier to sit here and type...) We'll see how it fits tomorrow, but hopefully I can cross this little project off the list. :D

Cheers.

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It never rains but it pours... I went a full 3 weeks without touching the bike, and then in a few hours today I managed to crush out a bunch of little details. Go figure.

Picked up a headlight from a Yamaha V-Star on kijiji, and made up a bracket to mount to the lower triple tree. (Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the bracket). I haven't got it aimed yet, but the bracket's gonna have to come off again for welding in some gussets and painting.

Thoughts on placement of the light? It can't go much further back, because that really fouls up the action of the throttle cables. I think it's placed a bit high at the moment.

I also relocated the ignition barrel to the side of the bike, that'll help clean up the appearance of the front.

And finally, not really pic-worthy, I cut 5 inches out of the stock (beat to hell) muffler. I can't wait til it's warm enough to fire her up again, I miss the V-4 roar.

That's all for meow, cheers!

·
Gone Ridding!
686 Posts
:thumbsup: Headlight looks good. Maybe bend the bracket a little to drop it a bit???

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not too much for an update at the moment, sadly... I had time to clean off more of the seemingly endless road grime and roll her outside for a picture (black and white for the moment). :D

Although she looks almost rideable, major things like gauges, exhaust painting, finishing wiring, turn and tail lights, and re-covering the seat are still in the cards before she turns a wheel.

I don't wanna clutter up the top triple with gauges, but I suppose that's the price to pay for peace of mind.

Minor cosmetic things like paint for the wheels, tail, and tank are definitely low-priority right now (time and cash constraints)...

Anyways. I'm done making excuses for now. The next update will be real progress, I promise!

·
Is now a
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok. Real progress this time.

Exhaust is now painted. You inline-four guys have it easy when it comes to header removal, I had to take off the right rearset for this...

And I've done a neat little bit of plastic surgery with the factory gauges. When one has more time than money, this is what happens.

From this...

to this...

to this...

to this...

to this...

to, finally, this:

Hopefully this doesn't look as ridiculously oversized as the stock cluster when it's on the bike. Still gotta figure out a mounting system for it too.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
That U piece looks good but if it were me I'd have cut the stubs real short, flared the ends slightly and slipped a bit of hose over and clipped it on. Am I a bad person?

The headlight is a good style but as you say pretty far forward. Cbr900 right switch pods arr similar but have the cables exiting above the brake lever, would that ease the routing on your bike?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
You can get some real small fuel pumps these days, might fit one up inside the frame rail? It'd be a shame to lose 20% of your range when you're planning a 5k km trip.

eBay search for solid state motorcycle fuel pump or similar terms.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yeah man I just bought the facet solid state for mine off ebay for about 35 quid, dont forget to ask for the unions though because they dont come with it?! looks good so far dude...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts