Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I have zero personal experience with tank liners, but I've heard more bad about them than I have good.

I had a pinhole in a tank once. Patched it with JB Weld. About 4 years and a little over 10,000 miles and it never gave any trouble. The stuff will sand smooth just like body filler.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,426 Posts
I have zero personal experience with tank liners, but I've heard more bad about them than I have good.
What bad things? I am going to need to line the inside of my carbon fiber gas tank.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Correct, Kreem sucks. Don't waste your time with it.

Go to tractor supply and get a bottle of this orange acid wash shit. It's for cleaning dairy equipment. If your tank is rusty/nasty, pour it in full strength (careful, strong acid, wear gloves/glasses) and let it sit, shaking every so often. Drain and rinse with water, allow to dry. The acid will come out really dirty and leave the tank shiny sparkling clean in most cases. I've heard CLR (the bathroom cleaner stuff) works well also.

At the dealership we used Red-Kote a couple times on really bad tanks with good results. One of my buddies used a POR15 tank liner without issue as well, I'd say either of those is a good choice. Trying to patch leaks from the outside almost never works, tank liners are the only solution.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i used the por15 kit and it came out great. i had enough to paint the whole bottom of my tank with. not a drop has leaked and no flaking. also with jb weld, the ethanol in fuel eats that stuff up.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
What bad things? I am going to need to line the inside of my carbon fiber gas tank.
Never heard any good about Kreem. Redkote on my chopper was flaking. Redkote on my buddies BSA flaked. Both of those tanks were coated by PO's so its possible it wasn't the liners fault, but poor prep.

Saw a tank done with por15 online somewhere. Seemed the prep work was good, but the product dissolved.

I'm just a little leery of them. My $0.02.

Im pretty sure I could weld a patch in quicker than I could coat a tank. If you hired someone to patch your tank it probably wouldn't cost much more, if any, than the liners cost. Aren't they about $60-70?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I suspect a lot of these tank liners that have been around for a long time haven't been reformulated to be ethanol compatible, and the e10 fuel decreases their lifespan. Typically I'd install an inline fuel filter after lining a tank if the bike didn't have one already, EFI bikes also.

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
+1 on Kreem being shit, and Redkote/POR15 being better products.

Something new to add, is that a good radiator shop will be able to seal your tank for you. Cost more than DIY, but, they should be pros...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts