Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Whilst working on removing the stock welded subframe, We had decided to follow in the footsteps of a member on this forum who fitted a newish r6 subframe and tail onto their bandit, by welding some slightly "S shaped" or bent steel plates to bolt the subframe on,...however we are stumped as to how to go about mounting the bolting points "on the back of the tank", as to keep the tank stable, does anyone know the user name of the guy who modded his bandit with the R6 tail it was a dark blue bandit possibly "Gixerman"???

Or if anyone has a photo of how the tank can mount to a new style subframe like a 2010 R1 subframe I'd be grateful :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah must of been pics of an old conversion he did?... i pm'd him but he hasnt been online since feb 20th?....Hope all's ok :confused:

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
post some pics of where the trouble starts, i might be able to help out.

I'm unfamiliar with how the bandit tank mounts
it mounts on the subframe. its the black bracket in this picture. two bolts down through tank into bracket.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep but thats gonna be gone as the whole subframe is gonna be cut off and large tabs welded to fit a newish r1 subframe, but the r1's have like a barrel mount for the tank,. but the bandit has like a plate,... just wondering if i need to mod the tank mount tabs too?

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I fitted a k7 gsxr tail/subframe on my bandit.Had to cut the original mount lugs off the tank for clearance.I welded tabs onto the frame and used the side lugs of the tank to bolt it on .

·
☢
5,596 Posts
yep but thats gonna be gone as the whole subframe is gonna be cut off and large tabs welded to fit a newish r1 subframe, but the r1's have like a barrel mount for the tank,. but the bandit has like a plate,... just wondering if i need to mod the tank mount tabs too?
yes, you will. or make an adapter plate that will mount to the bandit tank and r1 subby.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suban do you have any pics of how you did that??? :)

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Here is a pic.Not the best but hopefully give you an idea of what I was meaning.

Seems to work ok.I also put rubber on the tabs to help with vibration.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a pic.Not the best but hopefully give you an idea of what I was meaning.

Seems to work ok.I also put rubber on the tabs to help with vibration.
Kool what subframe is that?...also like the relocation of the coils!, and hate to be a pain have u got a tank fitted pic as to see the finished look? cheers :robssmilie:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey dude, I can't really make out the subframe mounts on your build, have you added 2 bars as a brace then added the mounts to them?...as the R1 2005 tail section is narrower than the stock subframe , im thinking 2 steel plates welded on the inside of the frame to mount the subframe....???

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Yeah just welded 2 bars to frame then mounts welded to the bars.Your method would work too.Seen it done a few times.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I got the metal plate through 6mm thick steel plate, lol just gotta measure the inside of the top mounting point and then the bottom then either try and bend the steel into a slight "S" shape or make 4 tabs and them drill them and spot weld them inplace before taking it to a good ol pro to complete it with a guaranteed strong weld :p I got some pics which il add soon too

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right here we go

subframe cutting off

Time to clean these up

nice clean surface

All gone

time to offer it up

NOW the mock bracket cut out of 6mm thick steel, strong strong stuff :)

took them to a metal fabricator for them to be professionally bent to fit the R1 subframe, at the top mounting points are more narrow than the lower points,.....tbink they did a bloody good job, will be taking them back for them to drill the M10 bolt holes to match the subframe.

might look like quite big plates but its to add some structure mainly. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now the drilling,...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All done

another angle

the prototype tail fairing fitted

and a brace with 2 tabs coming off it to mount the tank,

now to find a way of making a battery box to sit on the top of the rear shock :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Time for an Update

Tidied the wiring and relocated a few parts to fit the new tail

Swing arm painted new chain and sprockets fitted

All rigged up,"gonna get the rivited link double checked to be safe :)

So far so happy, just need to work on the front end and fit the headlight and exhaust etc

Another tail shot

no can fitted,

Happier with the new smoked rear tail light

mini "pig spotter camera fitted too,...discreet"

Tidier levers and grips

After ordering a new exhaust set up, My bro noticed it didn't look like how it was advertised,...so he sent it back to have the link pipe kicked up,....looks much much better

More to come soon,... The original airbox was refitted too,...Saved faffing about too much as it ran perfectly fine before it was changed over :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts