Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have to cut the bottom oft tank to get it to fit correctly with my new rear shock setup. Which means I need to get metal to weld in to box it out. What gage/type of steel are tanks made of? It's a 05 zx6r . I was thinking about chopping up another tank I have and using that but I thought it would be stupid to waste a perfectly good tank.

Any help would be great thanks

G

·
The stock tank is around 1mm thick & can be a little thinner where its been formed which is something to watch out for when welding it back up

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm buying an extra tank tomorrow so if I fuck it up ill have a back up. And if you say 1mm then that's what I'm going to buy tomorrow. I'm taking my bike in to get the shock mounts welded by the last place I wanted to do it but I'm going back to work Monday so things that need to get done during work hours are getting done this week.

Back to the tank through I wont need much metal because whatever I cut out I'm going to reuse but I don't want to make my cuts till the shock mounts are welded so I don't cut to short on one side or the other. I just need to make sure it stays off the fuel pump. Is there some type of range of how far I want to stay away from the fuel pump or could the new part be really close? Also I've heard people say they used tank sealent. What is it and where can get some to put over my welds so I feel 100000000% when I put it on the road?

G

·
yep 1mm will do it mate & you can form it easy if you need to get a little clearance for the pump etc, i guess the pump will vibrate a bit in use so keeping it a few mm off the tank & rubber mounting it would be a good idea as i suppose it could get damaged otherwise

As for tank sealing the best thing to do is TIG it & then seal it inside with POR15 or Kreem tank sealant both will stand the ethanol in fuel, dont be tempted to use petseal its cheaper but crap & flakes off after a few months

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tig weld the steel? I bought an extra tank to practice with. I have been messing around with some 22ish gage steel on welding it with my mig but I think my stick welder might be a better choice then use that sealant. We shall see what happens with the practice tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts