Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised a good friend of mine I'd help him fit some hubs on a trike he is building. I need to build a tool first, and I've been putting it off for far too long. So maybe this will help to motivate me to get off my butt.

So I'll be making an attachment that will allow me to cut tapers on the lathe. Sorry. I know this will be boring for about 99% of everyone, and it's not explicitly motorcycle related, so feel free to delete and/or ignore as necessary. :)

I've already "started" on this, but here's my starting photo anyway. Two day old receipt, but whatever...

( required discussion thread, etc. coming soon...)

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Taper attachment-tool

These two plates were built pre-buildoff, but for explaining purposes here they are. They clamp on to the bed of the lathe and are the attachment points for what, I hope, will become the taper attachment.

3/8" steel plate. The tips were "milled" with grooves in them so they will lock on to the bed way firmly. Actually fly cut these on the lathe. Not pretty, but pretty effective!

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

For my guide rod I'm using a fork tube. I've seen guys use 3/4" round stock for this with good results, so a 35mm fork tube should be more than rigid enough.

It's already polished for smooth travel,corrosion resistant, and free. :)

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I plan to make an adapter for each end of the fork tube/ guide rod that let's me pivot the left hand side and adjust for the right hand side to the amount of taper needed.

Left hand side is done. Everything was a press fit, so it's nice and solid. A few tacks for good measure.

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The thing with making my own junk is I never know what to call things. So I'm calling this the follower. It'll ride the guide tube and eventually attach ( via tie rod ) to the cross slide.

Made the brass insert a .002" press fit. Then I knurled it lightly. It's really in there good. :) Internal groove is for oil retention/distribution fed from the 1/4" oil cup. Overkill? Maybe. Oil cup was kinda needed,but kinda just for fun,too. I dig it. Looks...machiney? Heli-coil in the heim joint bolt hole because aluminum.

Almost done with the follower. I want to make chip seals for this, so I'm heading to Lowe's ( to look at foundation stuff ;) ) and hope they sell felt.

Anyway, a little closer. Hope all this is making sense. Totally open to suggestions as well.

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finished up the follower just now. Felt seals with retainer plates. I gave it a squirt of oil and a test run. Seems to move very easily with no grabbiness or stiction. I originally considered making the follower to accept a set of fork seals, but I'm sure that would have been to much friction. The rest of the machine has felt chip sweepers that have been there since 1941. Works for me. :)

Attachments

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not much to look at, but I did finish the guide rod.

Need to scribe/cut the groove in the end plat for adjustment. Then on to the tierod. Not sure how I want to attach to the cross slide. Drilling and tapping would be the most stable, but I'm having problems binging myself to drilling this piece. Just seems wrong.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made some headway today.

Made this block to attach the tierod to the cross slide.

Finally had to give up on feeling guilty and just popped the mounting holes in. :(

Started making the tierod. Ground some wrench flats where they were needed. Need to cut and cope these two together and the tierod will be sorted. Been kind of a slow process since I had to take the cross slide and compound off/apart to get my measurements, then had to put it back on the machine to make the parts.

Hope this makes things clear. Here is how the crossslide disconnects from the apron to allow the taper tool to have control over the movement on that axis.

Fork tube-scrap.............................0
Aluminum,brass,steel-scrap..............0
Heim joints and misc. hardware......$23
Felt............................................$4
-----------------------------------------
Current total...............................$27

1 - 10 of 10 Posts