Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Re: Taper attachment-tool

You know, these hubs will eventually need keyways. I recall something about broaching with a lathe. I need to look in to that.
Already sidetracked. Classic build-off. :D

·
2bonnes
39 Posts

You know, these hubs will eventually need keyways. I recall something about broaching with a lathe. I need to look in to that.
I have done that once. If you can put the hub in the chuck. You can lock the chuck and use a ground lathe tool to slowly cut a keyway with the apron locked also and feed with the cross feed. Slow but cheaper than buying broach tooling.

·
2bonnes
39 Posts

Very simple now that you've explained it. Thanks man! That's rep worthy :thumbsup:
Your welcome. Wasn't sure I could explain it without a picture.

Attachments

·
2bonnes
39 Posts

Looks like you are doing some inventive designing. Seen taper attachments for lathes by the manufacturer, but not shop made. Good idea.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
I've also thought about making one for my lathe but like Trucker I've only ever needed to make a tapered part I think twice so I just bribed the cnc lathe guy at work to make the parts for me.

Are you going to be scribing lines on your plates so you know what position gives what angle?

·
2bonnes
39 Posts
I would like to see a drawing. I don't have a taper attachment on my lathe. Have seen them but don't understand how it works.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have any drawings. Im just winging it. Basically the follower will connect to the cross slide via a tie rod. The current worm screw that controls the cross slide will be disabled. Cutter tool depth will be controlled by the compound.

Hope this makes sense. If not, stay tuned. ;)

·
I been fightin' gravity
7,473 Posts
If you are patient you can use the cross slide set at the desired angle. Start at the big end and work your way down. When you run out of travel move the saddle and re start the process and blend the two. Very time consuming and extremely easy to kill the part. Taper attachments make it 1000 times easier.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very true. The two pieces I'll be making will have internal tapers , both about 4-5" long. My machine doesn't have enough travel to make it in one pass and, like you said, I'd likely just make a mess when I tried to blend the cuts. Since these will be hubs for wheels I want them to turn as true as possible.

Plus it's just kinda fun. :)

·
2bonnes
39 Posts
That's the neat thing with machine tools, you can use a tool to make a tool. It's enjoyable and saves money to get specialized tooling.

So when the cross slide is disabled the taper tie rod moves the cross slide? Not sure mine can be released. But haven't used it recently. Went out and looked at it and the cross slide only moves with the hand screw. It's a 10" Logan.

But I have difficulty visualizing, lol

1 - 20 of 45 Posts