Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I heard some very loud valve noise on my 97 bandit 600…

took off the cover to find a missing tappet adjuster. The valve stem was bumping into the rocker arm, but the tappet and nut are nowhere to be found.

I've already drained the oil once

I rode it yesterday for 50 miles when I started hearing the louder valve noise, so my guess is that it missed the cam chain, but hasn't yet unleashed havoc on the crank or trans.

Any ideas on how to go about finding it?

·
Premium Member
50,679 Posts
Hey Guys,

I heard some very loud valve noise on my 97 bandit 600…

took off the cover to find a missing tappet adjuster. The valve stem was bumping into the rocker arm, but the tappet and nut are nowhere to be found.

I've already drained the oil once

I rode it yesterday for 50 miles when I started hearing the louder valve noise, so my guess is that it missed the cam chain, but hasn't yet unleashed havoc on the crank or trans.

Any ideas on how to go about finding it?
more info on that comment mate ,you did putta nu adjuster and nut in before that 50 mile trip?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Roll through the timing chain and make sure it's not caught up under the guides. Check o make sure it didn't chew up the chain and sprockets too. I would start fishing with a small magnet too

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
50,679 Posts
Thanks, so far I can confirm its nowhere near the timing chain.

If it made its way down to the sump is it possible that it could work its way into the trans?
that woud be a tuff trip fer that item to make,hopefuly it dropped to tha bottom of the motor and is resting there .

·
watches you sleep.
9,118 Posts
Good call Stubby. I would suggest pulling every engine cover youve got like the stator cover and maybe prod around with a magnetic pick up tool or something. I dont know how it could have made its way into the stator area. How small is this nut and washer exactly?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.