Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
squids.. sqids everywhere
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*DISCUSSION & BUILD THREAD*

Feel free to comment an post in this thread. Not going to do a discussion thread for this build.

I guess like all other threads I have started, this will be a way for me to keep track of my build.

So, first things first....
ImageUploadedByMO Free1456871069.814294.jpg

This is my new toy. She fits in nice with the other bikes in the shed.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1456871144.936501.jpg

Since I bought it brand new, I am waiting a bit to start one wheelin. Some one said to break it in how I gonna ride it and a buddy says take it easy for the first 500 miles. So... With 50 miles on the clock, I did the quick and free airbox mod. Noticed a bit more grunt out of her afterwards. Top speed went from 61 tucked to 65 super tucked.

I have a sub cage, engine cage, and axle pegs/sliders ordered through kevtek. They will look identical to this except there will be a foot plate welded across the 12 bar. Where his is white, mine will be black. Where his is red, mine will be yellow and I will have the same white puck sliders.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1456871781.250954.jpg

I have also ordered new handle bars, grips, an blister pads. All protaper.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1456871927.290222.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1456871936.097641.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1456871995.680047.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Considering going with this vinyl kit.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1456872101.212905.jpg
Prolly wrap my forks gloss black and get my rear sets powder coated gloss black soon as well.

Thinking I may chop my exhaust to a stubby tomorrow... Hmm....

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ex nay on the sticker kit. Ended up ordering a fender eliminator/ under tail kit from mnnthbx. It'll look like this...
ImageUploadedByMO Free1457036035.141756.jpg

My wife gave me permission to go ahead and order the dual LED light bar headlight set up, so when my bank account is good again, I will order those. She's so worried about me not being seen at night and I think these will fix that issue.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1457036190.911446.jpg

Also looking into getting some flush mounts for the front. All in do time.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Love these bikes! Here's mine

Careful with LED headlights, you need to mod the wiring to supply DC power. Considered waiting for the oem LED headlight from the 2017 model? Bound to be a better fit and factory quality plus DOT approved etc.

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the 2017 concepts, but I'm rather impatient and can't wait another year or more. Lol. Nice grom, btw. I'm loving that exhaust. The headlight seems Like a 30 minute task switching from the stocker to this, and all mods are easily reversed back to factory, so that's prolly the road I'll take. Headlight, exhaust and brake setup is really the last of the expensive mods to order. Then it's all $20-$30 stuff.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I saw 2 of these for sale yesterday and almost stopped to get the info on them. Except i would be sleeping in the shed with it if i got one lol. Wife would kill me.

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Handle bars...
ImageUploadedByMO Free1457635459.724708.jpg

And undertail....
ImageUploadedByMO Free1457635490.312312.jpg

Both mods really cleaned up the front and rear. With lower bars, it feels more like a bicycle and not as much like a scooter. My stunt roots started on a bmx as a kid, so I love the new "feeling" of the grom and feel progressing with doing wheelies and what not will be tons easier.

Just waiting on my subcage, engine cage and axle pegs to come in. :)

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Dig that paint scheme, if anything fast track that blacked out foot controls and exhaust tip...

Ass end got cleaned up nicely with the shorty can and new undertail!

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Added some tst flush mount turn signals.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1458255557.931016.jpg
Now I need to hunt down a 12 volt 2 pin flasher relay for the lights to blink correctly. Right now, the just come on. Gotta manually flash em.

Also. Update on the stunt kit. Talked to kevtek earlier an it should be in next week. Also ordered some sub frame brace rods from Zeus armor. They supposedly fix the weak spot. I'm sure it'll be tested eventually.

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So... Finally got my stunt kit in from kevtek and found the flasher relay I needed for all LED signals. Got the grom inspected and took off the mirrors right after. She's looking good for a mini. Next upgrade is gonna be the brakes. Including stainless braided lines. Dual rear brake caliper. Not sure if I will go oversize rotors or not yet. Setting up rear handbrake and new pads all around. Enough of the talking... Here's a pic I snapped earlier.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1459883524.874398.jpg

The kevtek stunt kit included axle sliders (front and rear), subcage/12 bar, and engine crash cage.

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WHEELIE PRACTICE!!!!! Gotta start somewhere. Lol

ImageUploadedByMO Free1460231555.732671.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1460231579.056935.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1460231613.782702.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1460231638.193761.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1460231677.535681.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1460231695.270982.jpg

This was day 2 of learning the way of one wheeling.

Day 1 was a hopeless attempt to learn. Basically from a stand still, I would rev to about 6.5k and literally dump the clutch. It would pick it up, but not very controlled at all.

Day 2 was better. I got in the habit of sorta twisting the throttle a couple good times and letting go of the clutch as I revved. It would still take a couple "revs" before I would feel the sweet spot for the clutch. Still too focused on my revs and tach to concentrate on it picking up and getting used to using my rear brake.

Day 3 was today for me. So far, I have picked it up higher, rode it longer, and am no longer focusing on the tach. Playing it by ear. I am familiar with how the bike sounds when revved up to where I need to be to pick it up. I am also letting go of the clutch now on the first "rev". Clutching up has become a fluent motion. I still need to work on holding balance point. I feel I have hit it twice so far. I say that because twice I had a "oh shit!" Moment and felt I was gonna loop it, so I used my brake to bring it back down. I have also moved my body position more to the rear. Also seems to help a lot. My 2 oh shit moments were both seated like this.

All in all, practice makes perfect. 3 weeks ago, I couldn't purposely wheelie at all. I will continue to practice and post progress. Atm, the only parts I'm really looking at buying are sprocket/chain kit (-1,+2) and rear hand brake setup.

Thanks for looking an feel free to comment.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts