Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Coming on nicely, you're doing a lot of polishing for a rat bike LOL like the way the exhaust sits.
What sort of headlight you going for ? KTM type thing mite look cool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Coming on nicely, you're doing a lot of polishing for a rat bike LOL like the way the exhaust sits.
What sort of headlight you going for ? KTM type thing mite look cool.

You're not wrong there mate 😂 I'm just waiting for a rat bike purist to comment and tell me not to call it that haha.
Truth be told, as much as I had the best intentions of keeping it simple and keeping it ratty, the OCD in me is taking over. I was always aiming for the industrial look, so I think it's probably going to end up somewhere between a streetfighter and a battered and bruised survivor tank.........does that even fit into a catagory? 🤷‍♂️

I'm looking for an industrial looking headlamp, at the minute I've got my eye on this kind of thing. Might save having to weld something up .......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Apologies for the break in updates guys. We've had snow here in the U.K, and you may have noticed all the work I'm doing is outside, so I've been pretty limited to what I could get on with. I also managed to catch Covid 19 at xmas, whilst I was in hospital with a burst appendix, and although I'm over the original symptoms the long term effects are really kicking my arse (they're calling it "long covid" now apparently).

I did manage to brave the cold long enough to pull the carbs off the bike, so the last couple of weeks have been spent cleaning and rebuilding them. They were shockingly bad when stripped them, so many an hour was spent polishing them with a buffer wheel on a drill, carb cleaner and autosol. New jets, valves and o rings, re greased springs for the throttle cable, replaced all the screws with fancy stainless jobbies, and cleaned up and re greased the choke assemblies.

Before........

After......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also had a bit of a headache when one of the quick release fuel lines decided to break and pissed fuel everywhere :mad:. As a result I've decided to simplify things between the tank and the carbs, get rid of the leaky fuel tap, and knock up something simpler and easier to remove with the tank, allowing you to keep the fuel shut off.

I'm going to run the 2 fuel lines from the bottom of the tank straight into a t piece and into 1 line, through a simple on/off shut off valve attached to the side of the bike, and straight into the fuel pump.

I'm also going to position the fuel filter so it can be seen easily without removing the tank, as the fuel pumps on these bikes are common to failure, so a visual indication of whether fuel is flowing is always useful.

Picked up a brass shut off valve, and replaced the o rings with fuel resistant Viton rings. Got a couple 1/4 bsp to 6mm banjos and soldered up some 90 degree bends on em so they angle up towards the fuel pipes.

Pretty pleased with the industrial look. Hopefully I'll get out to fit it to the bike soon.

Exhaust wrap should be arriving tomorrow, and the weather has now turned, so fingers crossed I'll get out to work on it asap!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts