Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The motorist is a source of revenue," says Richard Diamond. And it's become his life's obsession to change that.

By day, Diamond is the managing editor at The Washington Times. But by night, he is a relentless advocate for drivers. It started when he was 16 and got a speeding ticket from a California cop hiding in a speed trap. What Diamond considered an unfair tax and nasty constraint on his newfound mobile freedom has grated on him for 26 years. So Diamond launched into years of research on police ticketing strategies, some of it while employed on Capitol Hill, and all disclosed daily on his self-funded website TheNewspaper.com since 2004.

"Ticketing efforts have not gone down one bit," he says. Instead, there is a bewildering new variety of methods such as automated ticket machines with cameras and license-plate readers, doling out tickets for blocking bus lanes during gridlock or idling too long. "Any violation you can dream up, they're working on a device to ticket you. You can get laws passed for anything."

But speeding still makes up about 54 percent of tickets, Diamond says. Factoring the data from 40 states that report speeding revenue, "I estimate that it's $2 billion annually" in the U.S.

Here's some Diamond wisdom to help:

1. "The very first thing is to have situational awareness. If traffic slows, there's a reason," Diamond says.

2. Be ready for anything. There are speed traps from moving and stationary radar, lidar, known-location speed cameras, as well as hidden cameras, VASCAR stopwatch calculators, and just plain visual observation. In Vermont, for example, a police officer can simply make a guess of a vehicle's speed and it will stand in court, though that has been outlawed in most places.

3. "Keep a low profile—don't call attention to yourself. A minivan in the slow lane is less likely to get a ticket than a red Ferrari."

4. Keep quiet. Diamond says to present your license and registration and insurance card, and that's it. "You don't have to answer [anything] else—you have to say you're asserting your right to stay silent, or 'Please speak to my lawyer.' Do it in a polite way, nice and respectful. Antagonists get the most tickets. There are no warnings for a**holes."

5. Fight every ticket. In court, attacks on the legality of a speed-limit sign have been known to work. Attacks on the chain of evidence have worked too. In the Melendez-Diaz v. Massachusetts case of 2009, the Supreme Court ruled that the sixth amendment right to face one's accuser applies to lab tests. In California, courts have interpreted this to mean that photo tickets are not valid unless the technician who analyzed the photo testifies in court.

6. Now we're getting into serious ticket-fighting territory. "Check for the technical calibration of radar," Diamond says. "Usually radar evidence is admissible, presuming calibration. But in some states, any laser ticket is thrown out automatically because there is no calibration possible."

To do this, check the manufacturer specifications for the device via a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act ) request to the police department that issued the ticket. Ask for a description of how the police department abided by the calibration specs, which usually involves checking a radar gun's frequency with a tuning fork provided by the radar gun manufacturer and sending the unit to the manufacturer to be recalibrated. "It's worth investing the time to get your ticket overturned. I've done it myself in Virginia. First thing to do is pull up the vehicle code."

7. Check the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), which you can find here, Diamond says. If the speed-limit signs aren't up to code, you can beat the ticket on a technicality. "Even the font of the sign is specified," he says. And "many places hide [speed] cameras behind signs and bushes. There's even one behind the welcome to d.c. sign."

8. "The judge is not there to find you not guilty. The judge is part of the revenue-collection machine. Give him a reason to find you not guilty," Diamond says.

The best way to do this is to record the conversation you have with the ticketing officer. If there is a contradiction between the recording and the officer's written report, Diamond says, "his credibility is shot." Just be sure to check your state laws before you do this. For example, Maryland does not allow you to record with a cellphone, Diamond says. There have been arrests in Massachusetts and Illinois as well for recording conversations with police, although the trend is for courts to dismiss these instances.

Get all the data you can. "Ask the officer where he was when he first stopped you, and how long he paced you." Then, Diamond says, photograph the speed-limit sign where you were stopped, the location where you first saw the officer, and the location where the officer says he first saw you. "Pacing is one of the top methods used for tickets, but in Pennsylvania the officer needs to have followed you for 0.3 mile to use pacing," he says. "Often they don't pace that far. They get sloppy a lot because they can."

9. Find a friend in the local police department. "This is the advanced course—knowing the patterns of where police are and when," Diamond says. "For example, the day after New Year's, that morning they're all sleeping. Look for shift patterns."

10. Finally, pressure your legislators. "We need to stop federal incentives for speeding tickets. States are paid for speed enforcement—the government measures this by speeding-ticket quotas," Diamond says. Voter pressure has banned speed and red-light automatic-ticket cameras by petition in 30 cities recently. "And they are liberal cities, conservative cities, rich like Newport Beach, poor cities, big like Cincinnati, small cities—it doesn't matter."

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
I Get caught at least once a Year. last one cost me 400 bux

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
12.) Evade...we drive SPORT BIKES people...I'm pretty sure our bikes 72" wheelbase bikes WILL out-manuever a Crown Vic...or, we can ditch the bike, & run like DrSmellyFingers did...just run faster cause K got caught...LOL.

JK.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
12.) Evade...we drive SPORT BIKES people...I'm pretty sure our bikes 72" wheelbase bikes WILL out-manuever a Crown Vic...or, we can ditch the bike, & run like DrSmellyFingers did...just run faster cause K got caught...LOL.

JK.
:fu: you know what?! screw u man, SCREW YOU!!

lol dont ditch the bike and run on foot.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
whend this happen?
Oh yea, bro...haven't you heard? K is our resident star...shit would've been great to see on Cops...K running across a lawn, R6 ditched in the bushes, slurping his foaming beer, screaming "Fuk the Po-Po, ride or die pigs!!!" while they tackle him, still kicking and yelling, but not spilling a drop of the precious nectar in his 12OZ can...LMFAO!!! At least that's how I envision it in my head...lol

·
BLACK BELT
7,029 Posts
Number 4 is a big mistake.

If you keep your mouth shut - the cop is going to write your ticket and be on his way.

I've talked my way out of so many tickets, I'm losing count. I think the number is 17.

Only received 2 or 3 tickets in the past few years - which I took care of by going to traffic school.

My ace in the hole is an ID that says I do anesthesia. I whip out the ID the second I get pulled over - then start apologizing. And - I always admit that I did wrong and the cop is right! I think that goes against the expert advice, too.

Try to figure out your own ace in the hole. Then work it! :D

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
MY ace in the hole used to be my concealed handgun permit. As soon as the cop came up to me and I'd hand Him my papers I would say "Officer I just wanted to let you know for your safety and mine that I have my concealed handgun permit and am/am not currently carrying a handgun on my person. Would you like me to step out of the vehicle so that you may remove it from me?" Every time They would be VERY appreciative, thanking ME several times and letting me go because I was forthright with them and let them know I respected the law and my firearm. Permit cost me $100 and has saved me over a thousand dollars easy.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
I've got mine as well, and even though KS does not have a notify requirement, it saved my ass on a stop sign that I ran. officer came up, i said something similar to johnny, he took my papers, and came back and gave me a warning.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Michigan you have to notify if you are carrying. I don't know for sure but I would think when they run you that it would show if you have one or not.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
It does in VA. I have been stopped a couple times and didn't have a pistol on me so I didn't think to mention it. But the officer said he saw where I had a permit and asked to see my firearm.

One time I told a cop I had a pistol holstered to the side of my seat. I was trying to be nice. So I opened the door and let him grab it. The ass hole grabbed it and flopped it on the roof of my car. It created a small ding in the roof but scratched the car and the pistol both pretty bad. Man, I was pissed. I got out the see the damage (it was loud as fuck when he banged it down) and shoved the gun back in my holster. Asked the cop what his problem was and told him he was a dick. I told I was leaving and if he followed me and tried to pull me over again he'd get a bill to repaint my Impala. I hopped in, fired up the Imp and left. I can't believe he didn't go after me :D That was fun.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
Number 4 is a big mistake.

If you keep your mouth shut - the cop is going to write your ticket and be on his way.

I've talked my way out of so many tickets, I'm losing count. I think the number is 17.

Only received 2 or 3 tickets in the past few years - which I took care of by going to traffic school.

My ace in the hole is an ID that says I do anesthesia. I whip out the ID the second I get pulled over - then start apologizing. And - I always admit that I did wrong and the cop is right! I think that goes against the expert advice, too.

Try to figure out your own ace in the hole. Then work it! :D
#4 goes both ways... I've talked my way out of a lot of tickets, but I'm also ridiculously nice to the guy... not kissing his ass, but respecting the fact that he could make my day really, really shitty. So many people become instant fucktards when the cop walks up to their vehicle... One way to guarantee you get it a ticket, is to cop an attitude... I'd say if you're super pissed, then keeping your mouth shut is the best thing to do. I'm never pissed as I'm always guilty. Never been pulled over when I wasn't doing something wrong.

MY ace in the hole used to be my concealed handgun permit. As soon as the cop came up to me and I'd hand Him my papers I would say "Officer I just wanted to let you know for your safety and mine that I have my concealed handgun permit and am/am not currently carrying a handgun on my person. Would you like me to step out of the vehicle so that you may remove it from me?" Every time They would be VERY appreciative, thanking ME several times and letting me go because I was forthright with them and let them know I respected the law and my firearm. Permit cost me $100 and has saved me over a thousand dollars easy.
That's good stuff right there... if I start carrying, that'll be my protocol.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got out of a 81 in a 55 the other day on the way to college, i used the excuse i dont have a speedo lol. Just be friendly and respectful, pull over immediately don't drag him around. Most cops are real interested in my bike and ask me about it mostly because they haven't seen one like it before, a cool bike gets respect from the general population.

Act like you didn't know you were violating anything, I always start with "hello, is there a problem officer?"
Don't speed around cars either, I live in a small town so folks know me and my bike. Word gets around about you and your driving habits. People will respect you a lot more if instead of zooming around traffic high rev you mind your and everyone else's safety. Be a mature rider in other words.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts