Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new led headlight for my bike. However, the kit did not include bolts. I contacted the seller and he said although pictured with bolts the kit does not include bolts. So I head in to Napa to pick up some bondo and took the light with me. These guys are stumped. He said the closest thing that fits is 8mm and it's snug. He says there's a bit of paint in the threads so that might be it. I take I home and it doesn't feel right. Measured the threads on the bolt he gave me and it's 20 count. Measured the holes threads and it looks like a match. So I figure maybe it's not metric so I do a little conversion and turns out 8mm is .06mm off from 5/16. So what do you think. Is it the bolt size or threads that are wrong. It threads just fine for a few turns then it gets snug. So snug I wasn't comfortable going any more for fear of stringing the aluminum body threads.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Crossed threads are better than no threads... :D

The only way I can see the threads not being metric is if the light was made in the USA.

Do you know anyone with a metric tap set? If there's some paint (or powder coat, that shit can be tricky in threads) run the tap for the bolt that "fits" through and clean it up a bit...

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
8mm bolts don't have a 20 count...

not tryin to b a dick.. but not measuring stuff right will lead to not buying the right stuff...

do you have a vernier? what size is the hole?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sorry to all yall but I've seen a lot of damage done because of a thread pitch gauge.

The op is already in over their head if they can't find a bolt to fit a certain hole.

Btw brass bolts cross thread the best!

Jon

·
Old, bold rider
179 Posts
An 8 x 1.25 bolt does have close to 20 threads per inch, actually 20.3 TPI.

It sounds like it takes a 5/16" NC (18 TPI) bolt.

Rob

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ok, rethinking this.

If the OP really can't tell if his hole is metric or sae he needs to clean the paint out before it metastasizes into something worse!

It's the little touches....

Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts