Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Re: The Build

About time for an update. Its a word rather than photo update!

i've designed and ordered a set of yokes from StreetfighterBling UK, so am awaiting their arrival. I have also designed a couple of brackets for mounting the radiator and stuff, which is currently with a local engineering company. It all becomes a little difficult when the frame has no brackets on the inside, or anywhere for that matter! Everything needs to be mounted on the subframe or off the engine. The worst part is the waiting. Still there is plenty to be getting on with.. I'll post photos when the parts rock up. Moving the bike around is difficult with no front end though.

I scored a seat unit and rear light dirt cheap off the bay last night for another project, so can spend some time on that in the interim..

Maybe its time for some photos...

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts

About time for an update. Its a word rather than photo update!
Maybe its time for some photos...
It's ALWAYS time for some photos. Great build.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

Subframe being sized up:

Mount for front seat:

Rest of mounts etc - not so sure now of the rear section. I put it in to mount the rear light but had a bit of a change of direction since:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

The shock needs changing, or the linkages, to get the swingarm sitting at the correct height, its a bit steep at the moment. The seat unit has been cut down at the front in order to expose the subframe and underside more.

Any suggestions for exhaust angles, positioning? I was going for a low level pipe, but now i am tempted to go higher like the old school GSXRs etc? I have also been tempted to go under seat and make own can, intergrated between the subframe rails....

What ya'll reckon....?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,821 Posts

I like the underbody exhausts personally...seem to be the most minimalistic looking imo. Although an undertail may work as well. I've always liked dual sidemounts (shorty) but I think they would hide your swingarm and rim so that would be ill advised.

Keep it up. Coming along beautifully! Looks like you've got some welding skill as well judging off that tank mount you put in the frame!

As far as the tail, glad to hear you cut down some of that body work, it looks a bit much in the picture and I think you want to avoid anything that is going to take away from the look of the frame. Less distraction is best, because that is beautiful tubage!

Reactions: Christ

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Looking good Webby, and as Adam mentioned, that tank support weld is a thing of beauty :thumbsup:

Also good to see a fellow Brit who uses Wilkinsons for his paint supply (subframe support)

(although they have stopped stocking aerosol now, as I had to get some more on EBay recently)

Keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing a modern version of a Spondon/Harris

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yeah that paint is from Screwfix (UK) i think, or my local motor factors. Good stuff too

Will try and post some more photos later tonight if i get time. Just had to replace my bathroom ceiling which fell in when i moved the light! Always something to do!

·
Procrastinator
1,096 Posts
Going to be an interesting build! Good to see a trick framer that houses a smaller engine.
I'd say that a low-mounted exhaust, like the standard R6, would be best, as I can't see an easy way of routing a pipe through for an undertail can. And standard headers & a stubby can (Akra?) would be good for power.
You staying with clip-on bars?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
No, i'm getting yokes made to run risers with flat bars to reduce the load on my wrists! Also to improve the lines of the bikes. I think risers and flat bars will compliment / work better with the frame. Ultimately i would like to get a larger engine in the frame...i tried a later GSXR lump, but no chance without serious frame alterations.

I would like to see if an R1 engine would fit, as i think its similar to the R6 lump in shape. I need some dimensions and postions of engine mounts etc so i can work it all out - anyone got one they can take some measurements off...?

·
Procrastinator
1,096 Posts
If you're thinking of a larger engine simply because you want more power (and I think you'll struggle fitting an R1 lump), then you could always go turbo...
Holeshot Racing and a Swedish company (can't remember their name off the top of my head) have both built turbo R6s, and I think (if I remember correctly) that Holeshot's bike was recorded at over 200mph...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
If you're thinking of a larger engine simply because you want more power (and I think you'll struggle fitting an R1 lump), then you could always go turbo...
Holeshot Racing and a Swedish company (can't remember their name off the top of my head) have both built turbo R6s, and I think (if I remember correctly) that Holeshot's bike was recorded at over 200mph...
Now this is why i love this site, the info source - good shout fella. Will have to get in contact with Holeshot and do some digging. If you can find the Swedish company name that may come in handy too. I'll try googling it too

41 - 60 of 121 Posts