101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
After an extensive period away from this bike; marriage, 3 changes of employment and 2 kids and a new garage, i finally dusted off the bike and reviewed where i had got...

Last time i rode it was about 3 years ago. I took it to work, which was 80 miles each way and to be honest that was the final nail for me. The handling was at best sh*t. Many years of mountain biking and DIY put my wrists in bits so the clip-ons, which whilst i preferred the look, had to go. Numerous other little niggles need sorting too, including a new rear end and subframe.

Best course of action - get hold of Lee at Steelheart Engineering who made the frame.

I explained the issues and sent him some photos and within a couple of minutes he told me the links were all set up wrong... Whoops! Stripped the bike down to frame and suspension ready for delivery and rectification.

Now, Steelheart are located in the south east of England way over to the west of London and i am in the west country. 175 miles each way to take frame, swingarm and front end so Lee could put it in the jig and sort my suspension links. This meant a trip up to drop off and then another to collect once all complete, 700 miles all told... Mmmm. Best thing in this situation, call on your mates. One mate lives just down the road and travels to London with work - sorted. Another mate lives 10 mins from Steelheart and goes to London for work. It was like destiny.

So a swap of beers for transport and the various parts are now with Steelheart.

Lee has mounted it all in the jig and identified what needs doing: New repositioned shock links brackets on lower frame. Cut out and fabricate new mount for top shock mount, incorporating the GSXR shock fork to allow ride height adjustment. He has confirmed, i was way out on angles. He is going to make good some other little niggles too, like the side stand bracket, lock stops and i'm sure there will be other things he spots.

Once i get the bike back, my list includes: flat bars, redo the wiring loom and strip out any unnecessary extra wires, sort headlight and clocks, new subframe and seat unit. I think i will swap the forks from the black GSXR 750 forks as existing to gold GSXR 600 forks (both K6) as i feel the gold suits the frame better. Whatever happens the main driver is getting a bike that handles properly and that i can enjoy, in relative comfort. The rest can follow on.

Don't expect rocket pace and hundreds of updates; as you can tell, things take a while round here.

I did have some up to date photos of the bike in its current guise that i was going to upload, but my phone fell out of my pocket a couple of days ago and got run over and absolutely mullered, so no recent shots exist. I'll update when i have my rolling chassis back or if Lee sends me any update photos...

Watch this space...patiently! 😁

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Modified shock top mount to accept GSXR fork type attachment. It was originally set up to accept a R6 shock and it was incredibly difficult to get the bolt thru and then spanners on it. This way i now have ride height adjustment, easy access etc. Lower mount also modified to improve linkage rates. The swingarm will be cleaned off properly and scotchbrited. Looking at the pictures, i am going to have to remove those numbers and stamps too. They may be hidden once built up, but they are annoying me! May look to get it aquablasted to get into all small crevices at the back and remove all old paint. The swingarm has been modified to remove all hugger holes, the side profile holes etc. Ill get a better picture of the whole lot once i get it home. Shock also to be replaced once i find a suitable alternative. Various other smaller jobs have been done to improve the maintenance and overall.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I haven't decided on the subframe or headlight yet, as i wanted to rebuild the bike first and then stand back and review.

I had an MT09 replica light on it, which may go back on, but i want to reduce the bulk around the front end. But i can also do that by losing the std clocks and going smaller. Less is more etc

Subframe was running a 2012 R6 tail, but it looks quite long and i think i would rather something shorter, akin to Yantosh's build, or maybe utilising an older style short tail like a XS unit. The other alternative was to have a naked sub frame out back

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Waiting for my mate to collect all the parts and frame from Steelheart and then i'll arrange meeting up with my mate to get it home and then work can start

101 - 112 of 112 Posts