Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my introduction thread showed, I got myself a new old projectbike, a TRX850.
I have a build thread at another forum but I hope that doesn´t matter.
I´ll just post it twice. :)

A little bit of history behind my choice of projectbike.
Some years ago I watched a movie where there was a bike I got inspired of.
At that time I thought it was a smashing bike. It was cool and it had the sound
with the big S. Kept rewinding the DVD, the few scenes there were and looked at
them over and over again.

Laras bike was stowed away in my head and I forgotten all about it, I thought.
Last winter there was a replay of the movie on the telly, I watched it and the
bike wasn´t that cool anymore but the sound was still there. Something else as
well that stuck again. I said to myself then, I gotta have one but modify it a
bit more modern bcause my taste has changed a bit over the years.
A Croftster ala Yami is to be born.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, now I´ll show what´s been done so far.

Bike at home in the beginning of May.

Started out with a service. Had in mind doing only small changes during summer
to be able to drive it as much as possible.

After service it became more and more difficult to start until it wouldn´t anymore.
Had to doublecheck if I had done something wrong in the service, but nope.
I opened it up to check the valve clearances......what clearances?
Inlet side had none. New shims and it was a runner again.

My plan was to start out with the front. It will definitively make the biggest change
how the bike looks. At first I didn´t know if I wanted to go for the retrolook/upgraded
front or the modern/upgraded front. Choosed the retro, rather similar to Laras bike and
the cheapest and easiest way. On a budget as a lot of us.

Bluespots which is bolt on for upgrading the brakes. Braided lines as well.

Ducati steering bracket to be mounted on the top yoke.

Digital dash to get rid of the big analog one.

Switch to R1 sidestand which is a little bit longer, also bolt on.

Got my hands on a spare engine in unknown condition.

Brakes was first to go.

Here we go with the rest.

This is how it turned out. Taken the front fairing off and gone naked with new 22mm
handlebar and a handlebar bracket from a Ducati I got cheap. Made me a bracket so I
could fasten an Acewell digital dash and an old style headlamp and some turn signals.
Installed longer wires for clutch and carbs and also used bluespots and braided lines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a while, I changed my mind.
I´m going for a front setup with this stuff instead.

To make this happen, I need a modified TRX steering stem or a new custom made one
and a spacer to fill up the space of the wider top yoke axl hole. I´m saving the original
and ordered a custom made in aluminum.

Found a broken front fender for the new forks at the scrappy for almost no money.
Thought I would give it a try repairing.

I got it together again and here it is basecoated.

Ok, now you are up to date in the build. It´s a lot left to be done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Working on the MT03 headlight bracket for the moment. Here some scrap involved in it.

The new China cruiser handlebar risers arrived some days ago.
Made for 7/8 inch handlebars.

But :wtf:, one of the top part is bigger than 7/8 inch, damn it. :mad:

Some coat is rattlecanned on the fender.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
^
He means the section on the right in this picture has a bigger diam than the part on the left. That's crap, makes shimming tough too, what'd they say at the place you got it from, are they going to send another?

But :wtf:, one of the top part is bigger than 7/8 inch, damn it. :mad:

Weirdly i hadn't even heard of the TRX850 until about a month ago when i spotted one and read into it. I was thinking about it as an alternative to a VTR1F for a project i had in mind. No one seems keen on their styling or their engines but i think there's potential there for sure. Glad to see one pop up on here. Yours is looking great already!

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Yeah if its just oversized you can turn a sleeve to take up the gap and cut it in half as a shim. If its egg shaped on the top half then its going to need to be bored bigger (both halves) and sleeved. Probably more trouble than its worth. Id just bore them out to fit a fatbar so long as the bolts have enough clearance. That is, if the seller wont replace.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for posting. :)

They really wasn´t expensive, it´s China made. I took a chance with them not knowing
how it will turn out yet. They are supposed to be mounted on cruisers. :D

That piece is oversized, made for an inch handlebars which the chinese also sells.
They mixed them up according to a seller and they will send another but shipping takes time.
I would love the risers in black but how to fix that, could chrome be painted and will it stay on?
Might use the grinder to get the chrome of.

I think the TRX850 with it´s trellis frame was made to snatch Ducati buyers.
But that didn´t turn out very well. However, a lot of former TRX owners misses their old bikes.
I like it a lot and turning it to a SF alike will make it a perfect daily bike.
For sure it has potential doing xordinary things with it´s steel frame.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
That's good news, i've had some stuff turn up "less than expected" from China, a mirror springs to mind - and they have always been fine with sending a replacement (let me keep the faulty one too) But you're right 10-14 days can seem like ages.

I would love the risers in black but how to fix that, could chrome be painted and will it stay on?
Might use the grinder to get the chrome of.
I've not got a lot of experience in painting but i would imagine you'd definitely want to get rid of the chrome first. With it being cheap it should be a thin layer at least.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would get yourself some other risers, from a reputable source. There have been issues with Chinese stuff breaking. On something as safety critical as Handlebars, risers etc I would not risk using inferior products from China. The amount of stress that is passed through the risers during heavy braking etc is more than I would like to put through cheap chinese cast risers. It's your choice, there's other similar products available that are better made.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would get yourself some other risers, from a reputable source. There have been issues with Chinese stuff breaking. On something as safety critical as Handlebars, risers etc I would not risk using inferior products from China. The amount of stress that is passed through the risers during heavy braking etc is more than I would like to put through cheap chinese cast risers. It's your choice, there's other similar products available that are better made.
Yeah I know, chinese stuff ain´t very reliable.
Wrong parts, bolts don´t fit so why not breaking risks. They work with quantity not quality.
But so far I have to go with them. Have searched like a dog everywhere to find
similar for 7/8 handlebars.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Take 7/8''x1" (metric?) copper pipe or an aluminium equivalent sleeves, cut in half lengthwise and roughed up, as shims... You want something soft... Some places sell aluminum shims that are groved lengthwise also, specifically for risers shimming...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts