Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Abministrator
Joined
·
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my CRF 100, I previously hacked up the airbox to get more flow, and took out the exhaust baffle. Right after doing that it kicked over in 1 try (a first for the bike) ran way better, and had a nice improvement in power and throttle response. I was pretty excited about this...

Today: my bike would NOT start forever

Weird huh? Not really...

Before when my bike was running great, it was about 72 degrees (F), today it was a good 20 degrees cooler...

Cooler air is more condensed, and therefore carries a LOT more oxygen in a small area, so my bike was running too lean to even start it!

I tried kicking it while giving it a little gas, and it fired right up.

I adjusted the air/fuel mixture screw to give it as much gas as possible, and it still took a while to start, but was doing much better.

It became apparent, that I will need to rejet to ride this winter... it just can't get enough gas in there when the temp drops!
 

·
the mad doctor
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
you should be able to get away with just going a size or two bigger on the main, shimming the needle (i use radio shack washers, bag of 100 for 3 bucks, .5mm thick) and readjusting the mixture screw.

total cost, maybe 6-7 bucks. never buy a jet kit, lol, the needles are available separatly for alot less money(that's what you're paying for anyway) and jets are cheap.

that's just me though, i'm all about doing things as inexpensively as possible. :D
 

·
Abministrator
Joined
·
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skr00zloose said:
you should be able to get away with just going a size or two bigger on the main, shimming the needle (i use radio shack washers, bag of 100 for 3 bucks, .5mm thick) and readjusting the mixture screw.

total cost, maybe 6-7 bucks. never buy a jet kit, lol, the needles are available separatly for alot less money(that's what you're paying for anyway) and jets are cheap.

that's just me though, i'm all about doing things as inexpensively as possible. :D
Thanks for the tip!
 

·
Member
Joined
·
89 Posts
or plug your airbox up so you arnt sucking in freezing cold air directly it will help a little but just change the jets and youll be rippin braaaap!!!
 

·
Abministrator
Joined
·
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
miniprivateer said:
or plug your airbox up so you arnt sucking in freezing cold air directly it will help a little but just change the jets and youll be rippin braaaap!!!
eh, too counter productive... just gonna change the jets and get that cooking a little more! :party-smiley:

I don't want to spend much on this thing, no matter how much I spend it won't be fast, but the main thing I wanted to work on was throttle control and responsiveness. A little more power is also welcome, but I'm limiting it to cheap mods.

So far:
hack the exhaust - $0
hack the airbox - $0
strip some plastics and paint the rest - $10

so, I'm doing pretty good so far... I
still need to:
rejet - < $10
might get the revbox to remove the rev limiter - $50
Beyond that you have to start replacing everything so it doesn't kill itself, and I'm not looking to go that far with it.

Question...

Adam was saying I might have to get new rims to get street tires, is that true? I hadn't heard that before...
 

·
the mad doctor
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
negative, you CAN get street tires for the stock rims, but if you really wanna have fun on it, get some 17" rims and relace the stock hubs to them. you can get cheap spoke kits at www.radmfg.com
then you can put real street rubber on it, something with a lil more width than the stock rims will allow. i'm actually doing the same thing on my klx300. dig around on www.supermotojunkie.com, and you can find people selling 17" rims pretty cheap. i got a 3.5" wide front and a 4.25" wide rear for under $100.
 

·
Abministrator
Joined
·
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skr00zloose said:
negative, you CAN get street tires for the stock rims, but if you really wanna have fun on it, get some 17" rims and relace the stock hubs to them. you can get cheap spoke kits at www.radmfg.com
then you can put real street rubber on it, something with a lil more width than the stock rims will allow. i'm actually doing the same thing on my klx300. dig around on www.supermotojunkie.com, and you can find people selling 17" rims pretty cheap. i got a 3.5" wide front and a 4.25" wide rear for under $100.
sweet, thanks for the info! :rock:
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top