Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get back into building. This is a commissioned build, but I have a tiny bit of creative freedom at least.

Guy wants a "close as possible" replica of this:

And we're starting with this, an 05 S2R 800:

He's not paying enough for the custom frame, and probably won't do the shock repositioning either. Everything else is to be "as close as possible." There's gonna be some ground given up for rideability, as the pictured target is missing some stuff (like, belt covers). His main desires are a beefy looking frame, so I'll have to get creative with that, and the custom tank.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tank is gonna be interesting. I thought at first it's a custom alum deal, but after looking at it further I can't quite decide. The front and sides have obviously been customized, but the raised cap and the gap at the back over the frame's V give me pause - they're almost remniscent of a 929. Unfortunately this is the ONLY pic I can find anywhere on the web of this fucking bike, so it's anybody's guess.

The tank will be the main bit of fuckery here. Tail is easy peasy, subframe is too. Exhaust will be rather straightforward.

Need to find forks with black uppers at a 50/54mm diameter, or maybe swap triples and stem if I can find a pair with offset that matches closely enough. Or something.

·
BLACK BELT
6,973 Posts
Need to find forks with black uppers at a 50/54mm diameter, or maybe swap triples and stem if I can find a pair with offset that matches closely enough. Or something.
Glad to see you posting.

Didn't know you could be bought. Glad to hear it!

If it's just a color change, I had a pair of upper/external tubes anodized black for a reasonable price. Came out great. Just a thought.

·
hooligan quads
1,756 Posts
Gsxr1000 tubes are black I think, if not WPs are. Can't remember the tubes sizes.

That's looks like one of the concept design online, never built so not always a true rep of a bike but some are very interesting.

Good to see your building looking forward to it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aye, but, safety and all. To be clear I'm not putting whole ass belt covers on it, moreso just pulley covers like the Speedymoto Leggero. I just don't want the leading face of the horizontal belt exposed to road debris.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see you posting.

Didn't know you could be bought. Glad to hear it!

If it's just a color change, I had a pair of upper/external tubes anodized black for a reasonable price. Came out great. Just a thought.
Glad to be posting, and glad to see you still around! How are you doing Petey?

I can be bought very happily in fact... I like money lol.

I suppose anodize would be an option too, I just hate tearing forks apart. But yeah, it'd likely be the most worry-free option.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gsxr1000 tubes are black I think, if not WPs are. Can't remember the tubes sizes.

That's looks like one of the concept design online, never built so not always a true rep of a bike but some are very interesting.

Good to see your building looking forward to it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure just the inners are black on GSXRs, with gold outers. And aftermarket forks aren't in the budget for this guy.

Hmmm... hadn't considered this might be only a concept image.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure just the inners are black on GSXRs, with gold outers. And aftermarket forks aren't in the budget for this guy.

Hmmm... hadn't considered this might be only a concept image.
Some of the '06/'07 gsxr750 forks have black uppers but I don't think they're 50/54. Could you work with a 50/53?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,575 Posts
you could make fork tube covers and black those out like on my 929...those are 50mm forks.

·
BLACK BELT
6,973 Posts
Glad to be posting, and glad to see you still around! How are you doing Petey?
Really happy to be above ground. Very confused as to what I should be doing with my time.

Glad you're posting and building again. I'm definitely getting juiced up to kick out some cool bike parts.

Looking forward to see what you do with the fuel tank.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some of the '06/'07 gsxr750 forks have black uppers but I don't think they're 50/54. Could you work with a 50/53?
Hmmm potentially an option. I'd rather avoid dicking around with fitting discs, spacing calipers, etc. if I don't have to. This guy is more into the aesthetic than the performance, not to say I'm letting the latter slide but if the look can be achieved an easier way then that's the way to do it. I also told him I'd have it ready in 2ish months, so... clock is ticking.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you could make fork tube covers and black those out like on my 929...those are 50mm forks.
Fuckin brilliant, this may be the answer. Cheers! What'd you use for the covers?

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really happy to be above ground. Very confused as to what I should be doing with my time.

Glad you're posting and building again. I'm definitely getting juiced up to kick out some cool bike parts.

Looking forward to see what you do with the fuel tank.
Confused?! Build bikes my man! Really though, I'm just glad you're around to wonder at it.
Got any big plans in the works? I've yet to have time to catch up on the rest of the forum.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figured I'd been dicking about enough wondering where to start and I'd better just go get on with it. Decided I oughta start with ripping off whatever's not gonna be needed, get it to "blank canvas" status.

Started with the airbox. I didn't realize it before but these Monsters are really conducive to something like a custom tank...

Had some CA CycleWorks pod filters on the shelf so stuck them on.

I'm fucking amazed at how much room that cleared up and how things are now situated. Usually there's still not a ton of room but these airboxes are absolutely massive with not much underneath em. Not as easy to tell in the pic but I now have basically from the vertical filter all the way forward to the stem under the ignition cylinder, and from the bottom of the frame to probably a couple-few inches above where the top of the ignition is.

I'll have to make a bracket to hold the horizontal cylinder ignition coil because Ducati loves to use the airbox to hold them, but that's easy. 3D printed the one on my Hyper, probably do the same on this.

So from here, I can either move the battery and electrics up to where the airbox was and have a roughly flat plane along the top of the frame to build the tank on,

OR

I can keep the electrics where they are and use that front space to make a fuel cell. Could probably fit 2.5-3 gallons up there depending on how form-fit I wanted to make it. Then the custom tank would just be a custom shroud, which might be significantly easier to whip up.

Hmmmmmm.....

·
10,582 Posts
Fuckin brilliant, this may be the answer. Cheers! What'd you use for the covers?
i just use ally tube, takes very little machining, bottom one is trapped between fork bottom and yoke, top one between yokes, fit an o ring to allow adjustment of the head races

1 - 20 of 29 Posts