Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is The easiest usd fork swap for a 600 bandit???

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Most bikes will have a larger axle than your B6, so it isn't very easy to use your stock wheel. I would grab something from the GSXR family, since they seem to have the most cross-compatibility of parts. Really though the easiest swap is something that has a stem the same length as you Bandit, and just get a bearing conversion set from All Balls Racing.

G

·
The easiest choice is to buy the complete front end, gsxr L model onwards are popular, most only need a stem swap or one machining & the lockstops sorting out, if you cant afford a complete front end all in one go sticking with suzuki makes things more simple as brakes, discs, wheels etc can be swapped or mixed & matched easilly untill you get up to the stuff with the 25mm axle

bandit 6 wheels are no good in the usd's of this era as discs are smaller & wont match up, brakes from the 6 wont fit any of the common usd's & the wheel is designed for a 110 tyre & as you are sticking a 180 in the rear you really need a 120 in the front

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen a complete gsr 600 07 front end,...But cant fins the headstock stem size to see if it will be a straight fit,...

G

·
I've seen a complete gsr 600 07 front end,...But cant fins the headstock stem size to see if it will be a straight fit,...
Its wont as stem is shorter & thicker!

It wiil go with a stem swap but it will need one making, your other problem is that the front end is a lot shorter & you may have to do something about that

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stem swap is a lot of faffing about,...Is there any way a set of "Early" SV1000 forks "which are not USD" can be fitted to the 600 n / 1996?

·
Registered
91 Posts
have a quick look on the suzuki bandit forum, i think its a uk site, open the general modifications and maintenance thread, you will find a sticky on there labelled gsxr fork info. it gives all sorts of info on dimensions etc. it may be on here already. i would put a link up, but i'm a bit thick.

·
Registered
466 Posts
What is The easiest usd fork swap for a 600 bandit???
check out my thread, I just went through this

-see my sig

If you go about it the way I did....

basically, you'll need 2004-2005 GSXR forks and triple trees.

then buy a GSF1200(bandit) lower triple of the same year as yours.

when you get the bandit lower triple, you press out the steering stem. ( find a machine shop, it'll be $25-60 for their time.... or do it yourself if you can get a press... or ask a forum member, like I did and they hook you up somehow. )

once the stem is pressed out of the bandits lower triple, you then press it into the GSXR lower triple. Once thats all said and done you install the GSXR lower/top triple to bandit, and slide in GSXR forks.

Since you has a front end of a gsxr, its best to keep it that way, by having calipers & brakes, and wheels from a gsxr or the same year as well.

then you'll want to update the bandit 600 swingarm/wheel to a 1200 swignarm and wheel, so it doesnt look wimpy in the back after you installed a beefy front end.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
check out my thread, I just went through this

-see my sig

If you go about it the way I did....

basically, you'll need 2004-2005 GSXR forks and triple trees.

then buy a GSF1200(bandit) lower triple of the same year as yours.

when you get the bandit lower triple, you press out the steering stem. ( find a machine shop, it'll be $25-60 for their time.... or do it yourself if you can get a press... or ask a forum member, like I did and they hook you up somehow. )

once the stem is pressed out of the bandits lower triple, you then press it into the GSXR lower triple. Once thats all said and done you install the GSXR lower/top triple to bandit, and slide in GSXR forks.

Since you has a front end of a gsxr, its best to keep it that way, by having calipers & brakes, and wheels from a gsxr or the same year as well.

then you'll want to update the bandit 600 swingarm/wheel to a 1200 swignarm and wheel, so it doesnt look wimpy in the back after you installed a beefy front end.

Awesome so lemme get this right,.. all i need is a press to get the stem out of the gsxr clamps and find a 1200 bandit stem and have it pushed into the gixer bottom clamp and it will all fit on the 600 bandit with no spacers needing to be made ? :D so a complete gsxr front end and a 1200 bandit stem,...nothing else needed? :D

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Yeah other than the steering stop or ignition lock thats all you should need but you might also need different bearings or have to use GSXR lower bearing or something like that. The stem swap is the hardest part of your front end swap and if you dont have a press do NOT try to do it yourself. I suggest doing like the above poster suggested and buying another B12 lower triple exactly like yours so if you fuck it up youve still got your stock front end. That also allows you to ride your bike while youre getting the stem swap sorted.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Awesome so lemme get this right,.. all i need is a press to get the stem out of the gsxr clamps and find a 1200 bandit stem and have it pushed into the gixer bottom clamp and it will all fit on the 600 bandit with no spacers needing to be made ? :D so a complete gsxr front end and a 1200 bandit stem,...nothing else needed? :D

On the left is a 2003 bandit 1200 lower triple.
You need to press that stem out, then press it back into the GSXR triple. (right)

I used the bearings from the Bandit 1200, and it all fit nicely onto my 2002 bandit 600 frame.

thats the hardest part. Then you slide the new GSXR forks it and tighten the top triple, etc etc etc

when its all done, you'll notice when you turn the bars left/right... they will smack into your gas tank....you should probably figure a way to weld some sort of lock stop (those things next to each side of the lower steering stem on both lower triples in the pic above) on the lower GSXR triple so that you dont ruin your tank.... you'll know what I mean when you install it.. easy, anybody who can weld worth a damn should be able to help you.

After you finish... you'll realize you also need new calipers,brake lines,brake master cylinder, wheel,tire,fender, etc etc etc from the same year gsxr. PLEASE save yourself the headache and do this swap when you have $500 to just drop on a complete front end... dont try to shortcut it (like me ) by buying it parts at a time, you end up spending the same amount and its more work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shouldnt be a problem for a mk1 600 should it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts