Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanting to attempt a Muzzy Raptor tribute bike. I am not doing all the crazy engine stuff. simply put
  • New front fairing with large Muzzy Raptor air intake
  • Flatslides
  • All new paint schemes
  • AND ..... the elusive SSSA
The reason why I say elusive is I have heard the 93 -94 VFR swingarm "bolts right up with spacers" BUT then I hear
  • The shock offset is all wrong
  • The shock is too stiff and you will have to get it "revalved"
  • Geometry is all wrong
  • It rides like CRAP !!

I am pretty mechanical; I can weld if needed and if it is aluminum or magnesium, I can't do that but have access to a shop that is fully capable.
I am NOT going find the custom RAM swingarm that came as a $3K option nor have one custom build ($5k plus anyone !!)

However I am MORE than willing to do the research and the engineering needed to make it work. With VFR swingarms, wheels etc. gong for $750ish on many auction sites, that seems on the reasonable side, and I am willing to take on the project.
THAT BEING SAID ...
Has anyone on this site actually DONE the swap??? I hear about people "having a ZX7 that had a SSSA that rode like crap" ... or "my friend says it won't work"
I am just looking for someone who ACTUALLY attempted it and at least tried to work through
  • Shock offset
  • was custom work needed on the shock ?
  • Geometry angle being "wrong"
  • Is the length of the stock swignarm significantly different from the VFR ? Could that be part of the problem

Thanks
Todd

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
27,064 Posts
I know we've had a couple of ZX6 swapped vfr setups but I can't think of a 7.

@MOTOdad was one guy I think and of course Gavin stuck one in his Z1000 with a ZX10 shock to fix the spring issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know we've had a couple of ZX6 swapped vfr setups but I can't think of a 7.

@MOTOdad was one guy I think and of course Gavin stuck one in his Z1000 with a ZX10 shock to fix the spring issue
Nice !!!

I know there is a "fix" ... I think it's going to be a matter of trial and error but that is also why I am trying to be cost effective. I don't want to go down a single solution. I think it's going to be a combination of many. THE MORE INFORMATION THE BETTER !!!

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanted to add to my post... I know a lot of people have commented about the VFR swingarm fitting a ZX7...I am grateful for the information. I was thinking ... there are a decent amount of bikes with SSSA. Ducati's, VFR, Triumph Tripple, Kawi H2
I was wondering if anyone has ever posted anything about swingarm dimensions? the VFR can't be the only one to fit a ZX7. I know the "open ended" style of the Duc won't fit .. but I was just looking at a 98 T95 swingarm and it looks A LOT like a VFR.. without the offset. So, something like this might work.
The main thing I really need to determine is:
1. dimensions/length of the swingarm where it attaches to the frame
2. Offset of the shock
3. Alignment of the front sprocket to the rear and the offset.

If I know those, it at least gives me a great starting point

Thanks as always for your thoughts and suggestions

Todd

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
Hey Todd.

Welcome in! Glad you found your way over here.

The Vfr750 tends to have one of the narrowest pivot widths of the SSSA. The sticky up top shows the Duc not too far behind. The Triumph is really wide though. Also, remember the Ducati 748/916/996/998 have a suspension rocker up top not a knuckle at the bottom like the Zx7.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
Forgot to add:

You can always weld in a tube between the two pivot sections of the Duc or Vfr800 to create a single “pivot tube”.

Later, Doug

Reactions: CK 187

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are AWESOME on this site... most sites just tell me how it won't work.... you guys are like "... figure it out and make it work!!"
I had not thought about the pivot tube. I was trying to minimize the amount to customization as much as possible. But thinking about opens a lot of possibilities
I was actually told that the problem with the VFR is that is based on a V-twin that is significantly narrower than the inline 4 of my ZX7 and that is what makes the offset a problem.
Ultimately, I think I am going to need to purchase a VFR (seems to be the one most people are using) and get it mocked up on the bike. I am trying to do as much of the engineering without having the actual part. But having the part, in-hand makes things a lot easier..... but that could be a $300 gamble

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it

BTW... I don't see the "sticky"

Todd

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
I was actually told that the problem with the VFR is that is based on a V-twin that is significantly narrower than the inline 4 of my ZX7 and that is what makes the offset a problem.
Offset may need tweaked but probably not by much. The sprocket centerline of my VFR carrier I was using and the Triumph carrier I am using are almost identical.

If you need measurements of the Vfr arm, let me know. I machined the pivot to be a bit narrower but all other dims are unchanged.

Oh, don’t forget pivot bolt diameters may be different, too.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Started on the swingarm ... and crud .. thought my custom axle socket tool i made for an old Suzuki was going to work for the Kawi ... UGH
So everything is off and I just have to get the swingarm axle removed... In the meantime... Streefighterkz - I am assuming I should find the whole SSSA plus brakes, shocks etc from a VFR?
I am assuming you didn't mix/match
i.e. - Swingarm from VFR/Shock from stock bike?

Thanks
Todd

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
Streefighterkz - I am assuming I should find the whole SSSA plus brakes, shocks etc from a VFR?
I am assuming you didn't mix/match
i.e. - Swingarm from VFR/Shock from stock bike?
Correct. I lucked out and found an almost complete donor bike for $300. The front end and all the plastics were smashed but ehh. I was able to copy the VFR geometry almost exactly. Maybe +/- 1/8” or so. But I did not mix and match. Vfr shock, knuckle, linkage.

Later, Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts