Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have finally started ordering parts for the next incarnation of my Gsxr, so figured id throw up some background on the bike. I have never before owned a vehicle for more than 6 months, yet i have had my Gixx a year now, and she aint goin anywhere!

Excuse the copy and paste, will try and keep it making sense for you guys.

So when i picked this bike up she was majorly scruffy, had been thrown down the road in the snow and then left outside in the elements for a good few months... but despite the 40k miles on the 600cc engine, she was a goodun. I gave her new fork seals, new wheel bearings all round, SC bearing, head bearings, calipers rebuilt, forks rebuilt, wiring fixed, and plenty more besides!

I Used her on the road for a few months, then painted the wheels white because all blue GSXRs should have white wheels!!!

in August i did my first trackday at mallory park ( RIP!) and then in September i did Bedford Autodrome ( kinda, brake failure put me out for half the day) and back to bedford again on 14th Oct ( damp and soggy but managed to have some serious fun on road tyres).

Track riding just blows road riding out the water for me, and so i decided to make a few changes to get the bike up to spec...

So the spec as it started:

Ohlins fork internals
Ohlins steering damper with Harris mount
ZX10R Radial master with mini reservoir
ZX10R levers
white Braided brake lines all round
White silicone engine hoses
Braking Wavy discs all round
R1 Monobloc calipers
K&N air filter
Power Commander 3USB
K4/5 GSXR 1000 headers
Harris Dual exhaust
Yoshimura bar ends
Yoshimura Number boards front and rear
Orange intake grills
heatproofed airbox ( dont ask me why....)
HRC race reservoir
R&G tail tidy
sol seat cowl
BT016 Pro rubber
and probably a few more bits i cant think of right now!

Then it had:

Front forks refreshed
R1 Calipers stripped, cleaned, fitted with new seals and put back together with Bendix MCR pads, and APRacing 5.1 fluid.

Then a guy on another forum i use was breaking his track bike.... so i bought the low mileage (9k miles) GSXR 750 engine, complete with airbox, BMC filter, Yoshimura Hi-Rev race ecu, Sigma slipper clutch and the PC3 map off the bike just to get me started.
So, 600 came out....

and 750 went in...

:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Box full of R&G goodies turned up, so got them all fitted ( cue boring pics!)

Then fitted a Quickshifter, new exhaust and took the bike for mapping....

140bhp ( im allowed to round up a 0.12 bhp surely!) at the wheel, that'll do nicely :)

Had a minor problem with coilpack 1's wiring, which was causing the richness at small throttle openings at lower rpm, thats all sorted now :)

Track fairings on and painted and showing new can:

Thats pretty much where she stands at the mo!
Obviously there was a lot of stuff inbetween that i havent copied in, but that gives you all an idea of where im at with the bike.

She needs new headstock bearings fitted now as the -1 +2 Gearing makes her a bit lively ( god knows how im gonna keep front down with dirty bars on!!)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, where im at just now. Have a set of 28mm Fat bars sat here, and am about to order my new top yoke, OE seat unit, Undertray, MT03 headlight and brackets,Grips, Bar end Mirrors,Koso speedo, and few other bits.

Once everything is mocked up i can get the tank/tail/mudguard/wheels prepped and off for paint, figure out how long my new lines and cables need to be and have them made up, then start saving for plenty of other bits i want!

I know an OE seat unit and MT03 headlight isnt exactly ground breaking, but i like them, they work, and they will look damn good!

cheers!

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is a badass post. First, this bike looks excellent even faired.

Second, those track pics are amazing. I would have had a hard time breaking it down for fightering but you gotta do what you gotta do :) (why did you decide fighter anyhow if you're going to track it?)

I'll be checking back in on this one.

PH

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Reed, Basically man it all comes down to money!
I had planned to buy another £4000 bike for the road for this summer and keep her as a track only bike, but I've made a career change and am putting myself through extra qualifications etc which has eaten the bike budget. Also moving house at end of the year so gotta be sensible with cash for that, need to build/buy a bike garage at the new place!

Add to that the bike stands me at way more than its worth, and it just seemed stupid to have such a good bike sat in the garage waiting for the next outing to a track day. Its barely been ridden since October, and the way things are at the moment, ill be lucky to get her on track more than 4/5 times this year, so i just thought fuck it, Fighter time!!

I can still keep the track fairings and brackets etc to put her on track if i wanna swap em over, or i can just run it on track naked. Only downside is once i get over 130mph it will be a bit blowy - but ill manage!

Going to make a start stripping her down today, and see how much time i get i may replace the coolant overflow and start tidying up wiring. I already removed the Key ignition, so everything is currently done through the kill switch, but i may remove that completely and relocate ignition and starter circuits.

My top yoke is being ordered tomorrow, having it made 32mm to visually match the lower yoke, with 50mm risers to allow the fat bars to clear the fork tops without having to sacrifice my suspension setup. He's working on drawing up some riser designs for me, so once i get to see those tomorrow, ill get them ordered! Cables and hoses are going to need to be 5 inches longer i reckon, but am going to hold off ordering those until the yoke/bars are on!

Will keep this updated as and when anything happens, hopefully shouldnt be too long before she is complete and im back on the road!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh I hear you on the professional tax. My wife and I are perusing jobs in East Asia this year and we are liable to sell virtually everything to begin anew. Priorities right? Haha

I now see your train of thought in regards to the multipurpose machine. At first I thought it was counter intuitive (albeit great looking) the way you were modifying the bike but I misunderstood. It's brilliant.

These gsxr top clamps are a bitch to modify for risers and certainly not the best after modification so the custom yoke is probably the way to go. As far are brake lines 5 inches extra is about right. With my 50mm OUTLAW risers and my k6 front end, I had my front stainless line made 4.5 inches longer than stock which should be done this Wednesday. I'll let you know how they turn out but should be plenty of slack for complete travel of the forks both off and under full compressions.

PH

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers man, yeah priorities suck huh!

i reckon 5" should do it, have a feeling i may be able to reroute the clutch cable, and the throttle cables look like there's a chance i can get away with, but not sure on that. Brake lines are a given obviously.

So she started today looking as per the last pic above ^^, within half an hour she looked like this:

Excuse the mess!

Found that the headstock bearings were bone dry, no wonder i was having issues. I reckon id have gotten away with just heavily greasing them, but as i already had new ones here i decided to change them anyway. Good news is the Bearing Races were absolutely perfect, so i didnt have to change those!

whilst i had the yokes out, i got the lower yoke cleaned up, flatted back,primed and painted:

Not perfect, but by time i have given it a wet sand and polish, and everything else is fitted ( headlight etc ) it should look absolutely fine.

Need to drift the new bearing on during week once paint has had time to fully harden.

Made a start on prepping the front muddy for paint:

And put some paint stripper on the tank, which was a big mistake, barely touched it and just made the rattle can paint go gooey whilst not touching the factory paint underneath. Guess its some 80grit and good old fashioned manual labour to get her back to metal then, that'll be fun!

Also worked out some wiring routing, and marked up whats to be removed from where, but didnt get any pics of that as its fairly boring!

As soon as i can find a spare hour during the week ill get the bearing on, give the yoke a quick flat polish,and get the front end back on. Have sourced an OEM seat unit with Cowl and pillion seat for good money, so will be picking that up next week, as well as ordering my headlight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bearing on and yoke back on. Didnt bother flatting it, looks good enough to me :)

Unfortunately things are going to slow down while i wait for cash on friday to order a load more parts, and then play the waiting game!

Also having dramas with company that were going to make my yoke, think ill be looking for somewhere else tbh. more time :(

can crack on with paint prep though, and get the bits over to my painter ready for some House of Kolour goodness :)

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Right fork (left fork in pic) seems a little tweaked, don't know if it's just the pic though.. :confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well no pics, but i did order some bits:

MT03 Headlight and brackets
Top Yoke and risers
new grips
seat unit, cowl and pillion seat being collected tomorrow
Undertray with built in lights
Titanium disc bolts all round
Titanium caliper bolts
Titanium fork pinch bolts
Titanium chain adjuster bolts

So, once all that arrives i can get the bike built back up, prepped and off for paint, yoke powdercoated, brake lines and cables figured out and ordered, and clock mount figured out.

Still hoping to have this done in 3-4 weeks tops, but thats gonna depend on how long my yoke takes, how long the undertray takes, and how long the brake lines and cables take.

wts!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Collected my tail plastics yesterday which are absolutely Mint, which should make paint easier :)

Bought some Bar end mirrors and shorty levers today. Also got the tank down to bare metal. I think i got a bit aggressive with my choice of paint removal, who knew an 80grit flap disc would do so much damage to a steel tank eh! So now needs to be gone over with a DA sander to smooth it out a bit, then hi build primer should cover the rest.

Going to leave the rest of the paint prep to my mate i think.... lol

Lots little bits to be getting on with though, amazing how fast the cost is going up! Once this is all done its going to come out around £1500+, just for a minor revamp :/ Fuck it, its worth every penny!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So... parts are starting to arrive, and panels and wheels are off to the painters tomorrow.

Have decided on Alpine white bodywork with deep cherry red candy wheels, should look awesome!

Also ordered a carbon fibre skinning kit so that i can make the tank infill panels look a bit prettier, and possibly do some carbon work on the clocks, thinking of setting them into a carbon fibre pod, just so they look a bit less out of place. See how the infills go first!

Still no word on my yokes or undertray as yet, so between those and paint, i reckon this is gonna be a long month!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got this from the CNC shop today:

Was going to get the bolts put on the front instead, but the more i think about it, am going to have him tap 2 threads in the front underside to hold a clock bracket, so keeping the bolts at the back makes sense.

Think im going to paint the yoke myself rather than have it coated, just so the finish matches the lower yoke perfectly.

Here is my paint inspiration:

Not sure im gonna quite get that colour on the wheels, paint i picked up may well come out quite different, but its a 2 part factory honda paint, so hopefully going heavy on the top coat will get me close enough....

This is the colour ( I think!)

Was a time based decision really, i could get that paint mixed up there and then, or wait another week to have a more "candy" based paint made elsewhere. If i dont like it, ill just have em repainted.

Im stuck in 2 minds as to whether or not to paint the MT03 Headlight shroud white to match the Tank and tail, or leave it black to match frame etc..... any input?

will DW today, so should have a semi interesting update soon!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Time has been hard to find this last week tbh, not acheived much!

Starting to think finding the time to get the finicky bits done like spraying the rad black etc may be more difficult than i thought, so going to concentrate on getting the bike back together and useable for the summer, then have another strip down and rebuild in winter.

just few bits to update really, started on the carbon infills:

Base coat:

carbon laid and resin on:

These are a long way from perfect, but they arent too bad for my first crack at using carbon. Will get a pair professionally done i think, the bike deserves it! am sure i could learn and eventually be able to turn out a perfect part, but this shit aint cheap, and i dont have the disposable cash right now!

fitted up some Ti bolts on yokes and fork pinch's and mocked up where the headlight is likely to sit:

and new speedo arrived:

Its the KOSO Db01r +, which means its about 10mm bigger all round, larger screen, programmable rev counter, programmable odo, engine management light etc etc. Nice little unit, and only £10 more than the previous version :)

Yoke is in the post, so hopefully start getting some shit done!

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
If you are willing to put in time wet sanding those carbon parts they will turn out beautiful. If you have a good layer of resin on there wet sand with something like 600 or 1000 to knock the finish down smooth. After that lay down another coat of resin. If it still isn't all that smooth wet sand again with 2000 and lay down resin.

The wet sanding is the key with a nice smooth deep finish. It will probably take a lot of time but when you get it all down to a uniform dull finish after sanding that last coat of resin will really pop. You can also spray with an UV resistant clear if you are running low on resin.

First time I skinned something with carbon the 2000 hardly touched it that is why I'd suggest 600 or 1000 on that first wet sand...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for the advice dude, but i dont know if you can make it out in the pics what happened is the cloth got tweaked when i put it on, and its distorted in a diff area on each piece.

Also the top side of each infill didnt wrap around properly as theres a big foam piece on the back to rest against the tank , so that area is just trimmed and hoping i can build the resin up enough it wont really be noticeable.

They'll do temporarily, but with all the flatting and polishing in the world, i dont think they're gonna be a part ill be happy with. Still going to finish it as if it were perfect though! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so... My yoke is finished, is in the mail now, hopefully get it tomorrow!

here she is next to the crappy standard one:

So, today i decided to do some small bits after work, first i took this:

drilled cap for tubes, made a bracket and bolted up loosely:

not without sticking a 10mm drill bit into my hand first.....

then i made a few other small improvements to the bikes wiring, and started on getting the Mt03 light loom done. However finding it hard to make definitive length choices for any of the wiring with no tank/bars etc to sort routing for stuff, so most of that will prob wait til i get bike back together.

MT03 light was fouling the OE damper bracket like so:

So hacksaw came out and now:

much better :)

hoping i can get some more bits done on monday!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts