Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had a lot of fun watching your guys' project bikes unfold, so I thought I'd post mine up. It's going to be a fairly slow build as I'm going to be taking all winter to finish it. It started as a 1984 Honda Sabre VF700S that I picked up about a year and a half ago for $1300 in great running condition. This is my first and only cycle and the thing is great.

Here's how it looked when I bought it.

I did a little bit to it over last winter, but not much. I have a big list of plans for it this winter. By the way, the flash on the camera makes everything look in much worse condition than they actually are.

Here's how it sits right now.

You can kind of see the first rough mock up for my new gauge mount in the pictures, I'm using the same idea that BuellCafe used and mounted twin round gauges on the side of the tank. I'm planning on using my stock gauges for this.

Here's a view from the top of how the rough mock up looks right now.

One of the things that I did over last winter was to repaint the wheels. I'm planning on keeping them the same for this winter. It is the stock style that the wheels were painted in, but I painted the machines edges gold to go with the color theme of the bike.

Next comes the engine. The transmission died from my stock 700cc engine that was in it, 5th and 6th gears were worn down a lot and the shift fork for 1st and 2nd was worn and warped. So, instead of buying a new transmission for it, a buddy of mine happened to have a spare engine with a excellent condition transmission in it that I bought off him for less than I could buy a transmissoin for. It is the engine out of a 83, which is when they still had the 750cc engines in them, so I'm going to be putting the larger engine in there.

Here's the engine waiting a good degreasing with S100 and possibly a paint job if needed.

I already have the heads off of them which are waiting a port and polish job.

If you didn't notice my post in the Photoshop forum, here's the quick chop I made of what I am planning on doing to it this winter.

That's all I have for now. I'm planning on getting some small parts painted tomorrow.

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
straight pipes, right?

real NASCAR sound
What I'm planning on doing is just putting like a 8-10" 1.75" diameter pipe right off the collector and put in a couple of those slid in baffles wrapped in stainless muffler filler. I ran it with nothing off the collector before, sounded great, pretty much like a NASCAR car at idle, but was supprisingly quiet when moving. You can actually hear the engine more than the exhaust when riding, probably not to people you ride by, but to the rider.

Now I just need to get myself down to Bargain Barn Cycle to try to pick up a pair of those baffles.

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
V-4 for 4 life
1,707 Posts
your not the only one by the way mines just not a fighter more like beater partial Rat

oh and for another idea bbq somtins CBX looked killer with the duc tail look into it as we seem to have close to the same gas tank shape and it looked good in that combo( i owuld if i could .. Tail swap)

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know I'm not the only one, I've seen yours before when you posted the gas tank for sale. I just named it that because I haven't seen another one being built on this site. And I'm one of the very few with one around where I live.

·
V-4 for 4 life
1,707 Posts
yea ive never quite seen another one here either and finding stuff like gas tanks for the 85s are impossible it seems i think if i did anything i would prolly just swap out the tail for a duc tail like the 748 like bbq racing has because it works with the fatty tank perfectly although he has a cbx

oh yea i saw a guy that was riding a v65 magna down highway 9

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about a tail swap, but I really like the shape of the tail if you take the taillight out. It's pretty angular and lines up with the tank nicely. So I think I'm just going to chop up the stock tail and shorten it to make it into a solo seat but keeping the same lines.

If you ever need stuff for the Sabre, you can try v4hondabbs.com It's a great forum devoted to the classic V4 Hondas. I've bought many things off there for mine and the people there are great.

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So not much of an update, but I started degreasing the engine and painted some parts.

Here's a few shots of the engine degreased, the S100 engine degreaser is awesome!

Got the heads degreased and sanded the fins down again to brighten them up.

Here's the parts I got painted, I did the fork lowers, fork brace, exhaust for the rear cylinders and the exhaust heat shield.

Also got the calipers apart getting ready for paint. I'm going to be painted them gold.

That's pretty much it for right now. Haven't had a ton of time to work on it.

·
Flying Squirrel
769 Posts
Cool.

Reactions: oldrider

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
updates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Comin right up.

Haven't done a ton lately, I'm more in the parts gathering stage right now. But I did get the calipers painted. They match the gold that are on my wheels.

Here are a few of the parts I got from Chris for free. He gave me two pairs of FZR600 clipons (1 pair for bars and 1 pair for headlight brackets maybe) and two 1 3/4" exhaust pipe pieces that are going to become my mufflers.

And lastly for right now, I also recieved my parts to do my oil mod. 3 feet of -4AN hose and lots of anodized hose ends and adapters. Man are these parts sexy.

·
VTR fighter
1,391 Posts
Nice :)

I hope that is very high temp paint on those rear exhaust pipes, those rear cylinders get hot. I used VHT paint on mine and it still melts it, might get exhaust wrap.

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice :)

I hope that is very high temp paint on those rear exhaust pipes, those rear cylinders get hot. I used VHT paint on mine and it still melts it, might get exhaust wrap.
I used Duplicolor Engine Enamel with ceramic. I have used it on lots of engine components and exhaust parts before and never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.