Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wandering Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm the new ninja! Not in bike no.
My very new(used) and very first(true) toy is a 1998 GSXR 750 SRAD.
It was given too me by my mom's, now ex, husband.

It was in an accident and has had some half-assed shotty repair work done, tail sub-frame was split welded and now sliiiightly crooked too the left. The headlight housing bracket is broken and is hanging by a shite plate mount that has broken 1 of it's support bolt holes. The bird-cage was broken, screwed backed together then broken loose again. The tail lights are LED and the rectifier isn't the right one? And having charging issues? The lower end might've also been cracked at one of the bolt housings and jb welded and has a small seep. The bike has 65km and runs fine, I watched it ridden 35km to my house.
So with the work above to be done, and my innate crazy imagination, coupled with me being a now retired Canadian Army mechanic, I'm less concerned about it's current condition(it was free) and more excited to put some work into it over the winter. And I LOVE love LOOOOVE the street fighter look.

On a side-note, I got my beginners two days after the bike was given too me, and I have my safety course this weekend(My dad teaches it, he used too race, let's hope I ride like him)
I haven't really touched it aside from moving it into the garage. Am little nervous about having so much power for my first bike. I'm not a crazy nutjob looking to instantly race around, I want to get comfortable with it, then take it too the track should I feel so inclined.

BUT I was pointed here by Rychen over on gixxer.com, they're a little "Sheepy" if you know what I mean. I'm giggly excited to put some wrench time into this.

SO.

A. Any advice on tail sections that either fit reaaal nicely or require little fabrication.

B. Is it worth changing the triple tree if I'm looking to put full-bar on it? I'm 6'1.

C. Any big nutted fellas know of a good seat to use to crush my shit a little less? Anyone ever hammer in the tank on an SRAD 750?

D. Thanks for any help, info, dealing with my shit :) I'll post all pics of my build progress come winter time. Right now I'm going to fix the charging issue and get it on the road for the rest of the summer.

Cheers,

Max

Attachments

·
Wandering Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I was told to get a mosfet rr the replace my rectifier but the only one I've found is for 03+ Anyone know if this will still work with my 98?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome. Looks like a pretty nice start. Theres lots of gsxr guys on here. Its a fun bunch of guys on here . Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
152 Posts
canada has an army?... haha just busting your balls man. from a fellow grunt and gsx-r owner welcome. as far as the seat and tail, we generally prefer to fab our own stuff here. here's a link to a very informative cafe build, should help you get started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bHv8hUwE5k&list=PL8SLiVEQM9KNBccNx4p2W9W5ggKPFy30w little insulation and seat foam, a bit of fiberglass and you'll be all set. as far as the triple, if your looking to spend a little dinero here's a link i found on here when i was looking at options for my front end http://www.topyokes.com/. but of course the advice i got was to just save the money, find some risers and drill holes into the one i had. ended up finding some in the scrapyard of my local bike shop. still getting around to doing it tho, or i'd let you know how it went

·
Wandering Soul
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahaha, army of ninjas ;) Right on, I have zero welding or fiberglass experience but definitely willing to learn, I'll check the video and front end link out. Much appreciated. I'll let you know what I decide and how it goes with pics!

Cheers!

·
Registered
152 Posts
that was about my experience level when i first got here. I dove into the fiberglass headfirst after only watching a couple video's from surf and skate board manufacturers. Turned out uneven, about 5 lbs too heavy, and god awful ugly to boot, but i slapped that bitch on anyway, screwed in some tail lights, and took off, pride still very much intact.

As far as welding goes i still don't know shit, but someone asks me to stick two pieces of metal together for them I'm gonna throw the mother on 90w, grab an 1120 rod, slap them together and not think twice about it. theres a lot more to doing it properly but as long as you remember that ur not actually touching the rod to the metal (hold it just far enough away to let the electricity arc across the gap) and that you have to get both pieces cherry red (being careful not to let it get to hot and melt a hole) in order for the rod to bond them together.

In other words man, to quote my dad at the risk of my reputation, nothing to it but to do it. It isn't going to bite (well the welding machine might try, so wear gloves until you have a firm grasp of what your doing) you, so go watch a couple of vids an then get to it. btw that hackaweek build doesn't start covering the tail and seat until around episode 7 if my memory serves me correctly. Of course i could be wrong tho, i do tend to smoke copious amounts of bud when sitting on the couch surfing youtube :rastaman2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts