Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New bike coming home this coming weekend. Still working out the payment with my buddy, but its mine one way or another.

1985 Suzuki GV1200 Madura.
1196cc of V4 madness.

It needs a few things. To start with, it needs a key and new handlebars. Standard run of maintenance, not sure when it was last on the road. May need to replace some things (signals are all broke off from a fall that looks like it was at low/no speed. There's no damage to the body, just bent handlebars and broken lights).

Once the maintenance is all done, and I get some miles on it, I'm gonna start building a bagger from it. Gonna piss off the Harley crowd with it, but don't care.

Planning to use the dual headlight Road Glide front fairing plus front crash bar and lower leg fairings, plus Street Glide rear fender and hard bags.

GV1200 exhaust will be replaced with GV1400 collector plus a set of Rinehart pipes (goes from quad outlet to dual outlet, looks better). I've heard similar exhausts, they have a nice sound.

Will do some other minor tweaks to it, like modern controls, change the gauges and dash bits around to fit the Road Glide fairing, stuff like that. Might try to swap out the wire wheels for alloys.

If you're wondering why Harley bodywork, it's because I like how a lot of the bikes look, but cannot stand the crowd or the old tech. This aught to make bike nights fun......

Let the Suzuki-Davidson begin!

Attachments

·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think at one time everyone did. Honda had the VF500, 700, 750, 1100 Magna, Sabre, and Interceptor. Suzuki had the 700 and 1200 Madura, and 1400 Cavalcade, and Yamaha had the 1200 VMax and 1200 and 1300 Venture. VMax still exists as a 1700, I think Venture is still out there. There were some 2 stroke V4's out there too.

I love V4's though

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
A Madura-glide... I love it. Just show up at a bike night and see how many Harley guys can figure out what new model this is? :D

·
Misfit
321 Posts
I had one of these offered to me for free. Still there. Problem was/is it has been parked outside, next to the ocean, for about ten years, at least. Can barely tell what it is.
Person got pissed when I told them, “no, thanks”. Sometimes free is no bargain.

Looks like you got a good bike to start.

·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem was/is it has been parked outside, next to the ocean, for about ten years, at least.
I can just picture what a treasure that must have been lol.

Bike should be coming home this weekend, then I can get started on cleaning it up and checking everything out. Gonna be fun rearranging the shop to accomodate. All the toolboxes moved out to my new 2nd shift job, and all my porch junk from the house moved in lol. Still need to finish organizing, putting things away, prolly stack the Rat on a shelve too. More interested in getting this one running and roadworthy. It'll take less than piecemealing the Rat right now. Fluids, tires and cleanup, vs fabbing mounts, custom wiring, tons of parts and hardware I don't have yet.

May have to rebuild the clutch master or slave. Was the only thing that felt wrong during the once over. Had no pressure.

·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bike is home! And holy fuck I need to clean the unit out. Toolbox isnt here anymore because it's up at the shop now for my night job, I've barely been to the unit since. I need to do some serious cleaning so I can do some fucking work in there again.

I gotta find some handlebars for this thing. The bike got knocked over hard. Right side is bent up, rear signals are broke. Doesn't look like it happened on the road, I don't see any rashing.

Attachments

·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick score tonight. Set of handlebars from a Honda, plus some aftermarket lights that actually have decent wiring (12g instead of that tiny 18g crap), 20 bucks total.

Bars arent remotely the style i want, but they're also not bent to shit!

Gonna be working on the bike this weekend, see if I cant get it to fire up!

Edit: these lights are actually pretty damn decent, even if the bulbs are shit. Did a quick battery tap test, the bright filament is only marginally brighter than the dim filament. But solid housings, and adequate wiring. Might throw some LED bulbs in these and use them on the build. If I don't use them here I'll use them on SteamRat

Attachments

·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a little bit of a go at the bike tonight. Started to assess what it needs and what shape its all in. Turns out that other than the broken signals and bent up handlebars, she's primo.

Previous owner had a 12v outlet under the side cover, there's a buckle on each side where they had a bag on the back seat, I'd say this bike did some traveling. I'm looking forward to putting miles on it.

Anyway, got the ignition cylinder out. Gonna see if the local locksmith can cut a key for me so I don't have to replace all the locks on the bike.

Tried jump it. Either the tank is actually empty (no key, cant tell, fuel light wasn't on) or the petcock isn't working right. Bike spun over but no popping or attempts to start. Carbs look easier to remove than Honda V45 carbs at least.

Attachments

·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kickstand switch is crusty, had to use pliars to wiggle it in and out to make the light go out. So that needs replacing.

Front and rear brakes got rock solid pressure (will flush and bleed anyway), but clutch is floppy. Didn't have a ton of fluid in it. Will either rebuild or replace.

Interesting note though, the brake and clutch masters had the bore size cast in on them. 5/8 on the brake, 14mm on the clutch. Don't think I've seen that before, or at least I've never paid attention.

Attachments

·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well shit....good news and bad. So I bought a set of bars, and honestly they're not much different in shape from the originals. So I go and strip it all down, start to put the bars in.....to realize the originals are 1", not 7/8" lol.

Bad new because now I gotta find another set of bars.

Good news because I wanted to go with 1" bars anyway so that I could run Harley switch pods. Now there's no need to try to make 1" bars work, they already do!

Attachments

·
Wanna be racer
1,998 Posts
Tough, the brake and clutch masters had the bore size cast in on them. 5/8 on the brake, 14mm on the clutch. Don't think I've seen that before, or at least I've never paid attention.
They're not usually as prominent as the markings as yours are but they are there. Try and spot this one.

·
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're not usually as prominent as the markings as yours are but they are there. Try and spot this one.
I see it, and see what you mean. I wanna swap over to that style master for both. I need to find them in 1inch

·
Wanna be racer
1,998 Posts
I see it, and see what you mean. I wanna swap over to that style master for both. I need to find them in 1inch
Get get some standard 7/8th ones then Space between this gap.

Then clamp it up and get a 1" drill bit, drill out the hole to 1" using a pillar drill

1 - 20 of 30 Posts