Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Phoenix - 98 ZX6R

This be my first "bike" project! Woot..My inspiration that started the project for the alteration is Rohrs build --> http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43911 Had this bike for over 10 years and prior it was a wreck and a starter bike, so it sat for 3 years in a barn and now being Revived!

The start, pulling it out of the barn.

Pulling off the front body ;)

Tried out the prelook for a bit and getting the ram air mod to work properly.

Memorial weekend and few bits done;
Wrapped the exhaust up, but the stuff was so thick and piping pinched together really bad but I got it to work

Not a fan of tubes sticking out lol started tochave at it with a grinder.

Final

Getting rid of current switch location

Smoothed out and moving brake reservoir also

That's that for now, hopefully I can get more time to work on it tomorrow!

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got little more grinding done today on the frame steering stem, grinding is getting old fast lol

Things to do yet:
Replace Cluster, old one is fried and may go with a aftermarket
Make cluster braket
Install new racers and bearings in steering stem
Replace Driver peg Bracket
Move front Brake reservoir, horn, ignition switch
Install braided lines
Instal oil seals on front forks, adjust, and more grinding
Modify seat and sub frame
Make custom tail? *this will be interesting
Finish exhaust
Possibly a extended swingarm kit :)
Mask and paint
Install new tires

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Relocated the ignition switch today, now gotta find a spot to move the coils to make room for battery and electrical

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Very flash looking bracket!
Stick coils are the way to go they give of a cleaner better spark and save loads of room only problem is finding them cheap enough that's the only reason why I haven't done it yet!

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very flash looking bracket!
Stick coils are the way to go they give of a cleaner better spark and save loads of room only problem is finding them cheap enough that's the only reason why I haven't done it yet!
Haha thanks, had all day to mess with it being parts are not in yet.

Never heard of stick coils, what do they run for? Got a link? I found a spot for my old ones but its not very ideal.

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woot front end seals, bearings, and mirrors are in! Ntm peg bracket, which turns out 03s are not the same as a 98-02 Fuck!

Damn, gotta make a braket for the mirrors

Semi final look of bracket

Prelook setup

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now for the seals and bearings

Yea.. I know its a ghetto way to lift it up lol

Forks are off :)

Bad Racer, know wonder shes choppy

New bearing ready to go :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The stick coils are on most modern bikes basicaly the spark plug cap is the coil so dosent take up any room!
I think my mate said that the zx9r rans them but nnot sure what year they started cbrs run them too but again not sure 2hat years just type stic coils in to ebay.
As for cost most I have seen have been about a hundred but you could probably grt them cheaper if you look I the right places

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
FYI for the coils..... if your motor didn't come with them (started on this model in 99) then youll need to swap the cam cover for the zzr/zx6r coil over plug cover so they fit right. youll also want the matching coils, or a set of gsxr coils (I forget the specific year at the moment).

if you haven't already, get on kawasakiforums.com and look up the "oldschool zx6r/zzr600" subforum. search there for the thread about coil conversions. theres a write up and some pics and specifics of what coils will work right for your motor.

if I have time in the future, ill get the part number of the coils I used and pm it to you if you want to do the conversion.

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think I'll do that later, need to finish this project to work on my camper next... If only the parts came faster!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like you're fetting somewhere. This bike is sweet! My question is, what does it take to get it to run right without the air intake tubes???? I have the same bike and I'd love to ditch mine! But with too muh air it will only go 40mph. What's the trick?

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like you're fetting somewhere. This bike is sweet! My question is, what does it take to get it to run right without the air intake tubes???? I have the same bike and I'd love to ditch mine! But with too muh air it will only go 40mph. What's the trick?
Drill a whole in your air box and put that air pressure hose that goes to your carbs in there, problem solved ;) mine wouldn't go over 50 before I tried this trick.

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shocks are done and lowered them while I was at it 1.5"

Took me a while to find the right size pvc to do the trick :)

·
Torqued!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone tried those aftermarket gauges off of ebay? Think my biggest problem will be the seat off all things im not a tailor..could use some pointers on shaping it.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
if youre going to reuse the old foam, just use a flap disk and go slow with it till you get the shape you want. or you can build your own foam pad using stuff from a craft store. for the leather cover, any upholstery shop can skin it for you and it shouldnt cost you too much to have done.

·
MOTIVATED AGAIN!!!
2,206 Posts
since youre removing the pair system already, youll have a nice spot on the side of your carb plate to run your tube to. you can repurpose some of the rubber tubing that you will be tossing aside and reroute to that hole. it doesnt have to be air tight, but it should be snug for best results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts