Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there has always been a lot of confusion over what octane of gas to run, so I thought I would help clear it up a little bit.

First Off: Most owners manuals don't tell you what octane to run, they simply say: unleaded gas. If this is true, read on. If, however, your manual does state a specific octane to run at, follow their advice. They may specify a high octane because your bike has a high compression, and really needs it.

Second: If your bike has any sort of forced induction (turbo, supercharger, or nitrous) then this does not apply to you, if you are running forced induction, you should be familiar with fuel mapping and tuning already.

Third: If your bike is heavily modified, with high-compression pistons etc, you will need to run a higher octane as well.

Ok, so, if your manual doesn't say what to run, you don't have a turbo, supercharger, nitrous, or really high compression, then:

There is a big misconception that you need to run the highest octane you can. This is false.

Octane: the amount of resistance to detonation
Higher Octane Gas: More resistance to detonation
Lower Octane Gas: Ignites easier and produces more horsepower, assuming no detonation is present.

Detonation: basically when the air/fuel mixture ignites at the wrong time and cause a tremendous increase in pressure in the cylinders. If it continues for a long period of time, it can ultimately destroy the engine.

However, most sport bikes are designed to run 87 octane gas, and will not experience any detonation, but will actually LOSE power by running a higher octane, plus it will make it run hotter as well.

Check the tank:

If it says: 90 ((RON+MON)/2) - Use 90 octane or better

If it "knocks" or "pings" at all, increase the octane until it stops.

Knocking and pinging: During detonation, when the explosion occurs it creates a shockwave that reverberates inside combustion chamber and raises the pressure immensely, creating a metallinc "pinging" sound. If you experience this, stop the bike immediately, turn it off, put a higher octane gas in there.

·
1 Posts
Thanks! I have heard a lot of different things from different people, but no one seems to explain why, so thank you! I will stop wasting money on 93 octane!

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem, it's definately a confusing subject, and it doesn't help that all the gas companies are telling people that "better gas is better for your vehicle and makes more power and blah blah blah!" OF course they want you to think that, the higher grade gas costs more! But, I am always glad to help people save some money, especially when it can actually get them EXTRA horsepower! :D

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i think mine calls for 91 or higher..90 pump octane..

i will put race fuel in ever once in a while and mix it with 93..not for performance or anything like that i just like the smell and it turns the talpipe white:)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i used to run 93 all the time too...waste of money 87 all day for me...

my manual says 87

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i used to run 93 all the time too...waste of money 87 all day for me...

my manual says 87
a lot of people make the same mistake! All the gas companies want you to believe that 93 is better, so they push that idea in their commercials. And then there's that one place with the Ultra 94 which is even more money! If you go nutz with your bike and turbo it, supercharge it, give it nitrous, or build the ever living hell out of the motor, then yea, you will probably need to step up the octane a little, but more most bikes out there, 87 is perfect!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
ab420 said:
a lot of people make the same mistake! All the gas companies want you to believe that 93 is better, so they push that idea in their commercials. And then there's that one place with the Ultra 94 which is even more money! If you go nutz with your bike and turbo it, supercharge it, give it nitrous, or build the ever living hell out of the motor, then yea, you will probably need to step up the octane a little, but more most bikes out there, 87 is perfect!

im still wasting money on 93! :nuts:

how can this be true???

i cant believe it. haha.

when i run race fuel mixed...my bike goes like a bat outta hell.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
because you dont knwo any better...and i doubt it..lol probably in your head. I once thought my truck was faster after i changed the oil..lol

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

how can this be true???

i cant believe it. haha.

Its all in your head, because you've been told your whole life to believe it. Your bike will actually produce LESS power with 93 in it, and it will also make it run hotter, which in turn will suck away more power, and put more wear on your engine, all the while costing you more money at the pump!

·
117 Posts
BigRed875 said:
because you dont knwo any better...and i doubt it..lol probably in your head. I once thought my truck was faster after i changed the oil..lol
hahaha i know the feelin... everytime I do some stupid adjustment/matainence ect I am always hyper senstive trying to feel a difference.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
arite thats it. next time i fill it up. im gettin 87.

but if my bike sux or dies, i blame you fully mr. miller!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
ab420 said:
Did you check your manual as I said to?
my what now??

no i dont have one of those.:nuts:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
929_adam said:

how can this be true???

i cant believe it. haha.

that is just because you twist the throttle a little more:tongue:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
so you guys all agree with this statement?

and i should run 87 in my bike?:nuts:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
you should run what your manual says to run...lol

you should also get the shop manual for your bike....they are extremely handy...

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
yah i got the Hanes manual. and its helped me a lot so far!

Reactions: jvanguard

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ok now throw that one away and get the factory one..lol

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
BigRed875 said:
ok now throw that one away and get the factory one..lol
hahha. i dont need to. i downloaded it from here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts