Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this thing cheeeeap and I want to have it turned around and ready to sell at Mid Ohio here in 3 weeks(maybe a day or so less?). So keep me motivated and on my toes guys. I can do this. I just gotta get after it.

1979 Ironhead Sportster.

As I got it:

That pic doesn't do it justice. It looks pretty decent there. But it was showing it's age up close. I wanna strip down and paint the frame,engine and tins. :nuts: Let's do this...

I didn't get started until about 10 am today. Wouldn't crank with the new battery. The bendix was just freewheeling in there. So I snagged the starter assembly off my other IH and popped it on this bike.

Pulled the carb, cleaned it, fixed the throttle cable, drained the old gas, put in fresh gas, clicked the choke on and hit the button... fired instantly and settled in to a nice,smooth idle. Oil wasn't gushing anywhere and the engine was making no unusual noises(except I forgot to adjust the primary chain from where I was working on the starter-oops). Once warm I gave it couple of hard tugs and it revved clean and crisp. All the lights are working and it's charging. Right on! :thumbsup:

Burnt myself three times pulling it apart since I went to work as soon as I turned the switch off. As it sits now.

My quitting time today. And proof that I can actually DW in a reasonable amount of time...unlike my CB build. :nuts:

I can do this. Just gotta stay on task. Should be pretty easy. Right? DW!!!!!

*edit* I realize this is not a ''fighter'',so feel free to move it to a more appropriate area if needed. Just let me know where to find it if you do. :D

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
ha ha its all good here Shiny ;)

ya couda jus sold it to me as is mate :doh:

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't quite make it to fuller roller status. The rear wheel needs some more cleaning so I figured it was pointless just to pop it on to make my ''deadline'' only to take it back off again. But the front and rear susp are on and ready to rock. Took longer than expected to get the rear shocks looking dapper.

Next: Clean/paint the engine and flop it back in the frame. These engines aren't as heavy as I expected. It came out easily by myself. I hope it goes back in just as easy. I gotta a lot of hardware to clean up,too. Believe it or not,everything on this bike was sorta greasy. ;)

Poopoo cell phone pics cos I was too lazy to go after a real camera.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to knock off work early,so I came straight home and jumped on this.

Engine is painted and back in the frame. Gotta touch up the rocker covers in a few spots. It's a tight fit. Probably should removed the generator. But! No knicks in the fresh powder coat :thumbsup: Still need to doll up the bare aluminum side covers.

And it's a full roller now sitting on it's own kickstand. :)

I hung the bars and all the electrical back on the bike. Need to bleed the front brakes and I think my headlight is blown.

The gauges were a joke on this bike. C'mon Harley...would it have been so bad to actually use a glass face on these clocks?

If it was a keeper I'd probably replace them. But they actually polished up well enough to pass as useable. Looks like a little over 32k on the odo. Not too bad.

I know it's early but I'm calling it a night. Getting the motor back in wasn't too bad,but my head is pounding now. Got a bunch of small parts cleaned up and ready to go back on. Tomorrow I hope to have it wired,brakes bled,chain cleaned/on/adjusted,inlet manifold and carb back on,engine side covers dressed up/sealed and on,starter sealed and on,forks cleaned and have the exhaust back on. basically,everything except the tins.

Painting is coming soon. Keep your fingers crossed. I just might pull this off.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
-Rear brake done and bled
-Inlet manifold and carb on (took too long,there's a trick to those o-rings...I know now)
-Chain revived,on and adjusted
-Right side engine covers are good to go
-80% of electrical done (the rest will have to wait til the oil tank goes back on)
-Starter assy back on
-All new oil hoses ran (sounds simple, but it ain't)
-Remaining engine mounts (heads) are on.

Almsot did all I wanted. Gonna hang the pipes,bleed the front brakes and get the chain guard on before I start in on painting the tins. I need to spend an hour and just simply clean up,too. Tomorrow night is a goner. I have plans. Hope to hit it hard Saturday and maaaaaybe have 1 or 2 pieces in primer.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still plugging along.

Saturday I got:
-Front brakes/forks done
-Pipes and hangers done
-Chain guard on

Tonight I started stripping the pins for paint. Both fenders, tag bracket, points cover and the side cover are stripped and ready for final cleaning/primer.

Just gotta strip the fuel tank and the last little bits of the oil tank. I swear it looks homemade. It's not a fancy,factory looking piece at all. Good ol' Harley,I reckon.

Mechanically complete...ish. Just need the oil tank back in there to finish the plumbing and hang some electrical bits on there.

And why it needs new paint. I told ya that first pic lied. :D

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I made a very bad choice on the paint color :( Well, the can lied. It was supposed to be burnt orange metallic. Looks more like peanut butter. Fack! I don't have time to start over and I don't want to sink more money in to a new paint color. Let's hope that when the clear goes on it brings the color to life. It looks like old dry leather right now. It's bad.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts