Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's mine now.

I've officially dropped my bike.

I've only had it for 10 days and I've already dropped it.

FUCK!!!!

So, I'm pulling into the parking spot at work. It's this ally between buildings where the bikes are always parked. And I'm looking ahead watching the big concrete divider and the wall... and I didn't even notice the piece of scrap metal on the ground. I drive over top of it and break with my front wheel right on it.

... and the whole front end starts to slide away from me.

I'm not even moving now, but the front of the bike is still sliding away. I get my leg out to brace and it's no good. The piece of scrap is under the front tire and the front brake is on keeping it from sliding out.

... and the SV goes down.

I'm pissed, and embarrassed, and worried that I've just fucked my new bike.

I take a deep breath, turn off the bike, and lift it back up.

YAY! At least I know now that I can lift the bike!:LolLolLolLol:

After it's back upright and on it's side stand, I look at the damage.

- broken shift lever
- mirror rash
- frame slider rash
- small rash on the back end
- and a red face.

I know, pics or it didn't happen.

broken shifter post

frame slider rash, more texture then anything

rash on the back end

So... this is it. I've broken my new bike. This is also my first 'accident', so I'm feeling like a total SQUID.

However... I redeem myself by fixing it!

I pull off the broken shifter and get a boo-boo in the process

boo-boo

and then I take the shifter and drill out where the post was. Then I go through a 'shit drawer' at work and find a bolt and a locking nut. After a couple of minutes and some small modification to my rubber shifter boot, I am back to a working bike!

gheto fix

I'd like to thank CustomFighters.com for having a lot of smart posters, because I swear I saw this trick on here.

I feel comfortable telling you guys about my squidly moment, and I think you'll forgive me because I then demonstrated the 'fighter mindset' and got my shit working again.

Function over form... until I order a different shifter.

ok, now make with the wise cracks.

Sympul

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
For dropping your bike you get a loud Nelson Muntz HA HA. For using a bolt to replace a busted shifter, you get rep. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Glad all you got was a small Boo-Boo! Sounds like all the rest of it was handled like you're an old hand at all this. As for dropping it in the first place......well, I can't comment. I have a "road-rashy" past myself. Anyway, rep sympul, for the quick fix!

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm loving this place!

any other forum would hound you and razz you about being more aware of where you're going and all that shit I'm already beating myself up about.

f-them.

but <3 you!

I'd bake you all cookies, but I can't bake, and you all live too far away and besides it's dangerous to eat cookies when you're rocking on two wheels.

So let's just pretend you got the cookies and they were awesome!!

(oh, and I just got my second set of Knuckles!! Thanks guys!!)

Sympul

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
yeh ive wrecked my bike once and tipped it over twice got lucky once and not so lucky twice
im currently rocking a crf 450R Crate reinforcement bolt for a shifter i have like seven hundred for spares they are the perfect replacement sturdy and if u wanna get super genious u can shrink wrap it with heat shrink for extree grip

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Sucks man. Only time I dropped my bike was in the parking lot at work. Shut her down and coasted into the parking lot. Leaned her over onto the kickstand, which was still up. Oops.

Broken shifter would best be replaced with a Booooosa model which will fold in the event this happens again. Proof it is a direct replacement.

·
breaking stuff since 1978
1,530 Posts
yep i did that and i too thought i was the ducks nuts for doing it as well.
I know some people dont like sliders as in a drop at speed they can damage the frame. but in a drop like this one they save you alot of damage. wish i had mine on when i dropped my freshly painted bike on its side and fucked my pristene fairings.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
i did that a fortnight after buying my TL-s, it fell down a decline of a hill. i was pretty amazed i managed to pick it up! only busted an indicator and scuffed my mirror.
good job fixing the shifter, when i crashed my cbr250rr i had to hand-shift the whole way home, and to fix it i duct taped a bunch of old allen keys to it :D

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
what the fuck is a fortnight?

·
Change or Die
991 Posts
Look at it this way, now you can ride like a maniac because the bike has already touched the tarmac:thumbsup:

Reactions: n0regret5

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sucks man. Only time I dropped my bike was in the parking lot at work. Shut her down and coasted into the parking lot. Leaned her over onto the kickstand, which was still up. Oops.

Broken shifter would best be replaced with a Booooosa model which will fold in the event this happens again. Proof it is a direct replacement.
awesome info. I'm looking for one right now.

I especially like that it's a folding lever too.

Sympul

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
Globetrotting Goblin
231 Posts
always good ta get the first drop out of the way soon... cookies on a bike is possible!!!! well chips(fries) are anyway just need a pillion, an open visor, and not be worried bout gettin the odd one in the eye:LolLolLolLol:.... the joys of stupidity:jester:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts