Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is intoxicating. When a motorcycle winds up through the rev's it is heaven on earth, when a six cylinder bike wakes up through the rev range it's like a demonic possession. :D

Here is a massive collection of the 6 cylinder bikes I can find on youtube. Alot of KZ1300's, CBX1000's, and a few Benelli's, but I'm sure I'll find the Laverda V6 videos while I'm at this. :)

CBX1000:

(Personally my favorite six video of all time... "Rev it then!!")

(This guy is my hero on a six.)

KZ1300/Z1300:

Benelli:

Laverda:

I wasn't kidding when I said I could wreck a thread with nothing but video of 6 cylinder bikes. :D

Add what you can. I'm sure I missed a friggin' ton of them, but I hand picked the best I can remember off the top of my head. Still can't find a few that got lost in the mix of the internet before youtube existed. There was some old VHS dubbed to digital stuff floating around of a CBX with a roots blower at the drag strip doing some fast passes and an interview with the builder and rider. I know there is alot more Laverda footage as well.

I could have gone into the race bike's only section of production sixes, but that would have added another 3 hours to this thread construction and I think I've found the real meat and potatoes of youtubes archive of bikes. :)

What can you find in the realm of six cylinder bikes? Post it up!

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
All that motor and only 105 HP, They do sound sweet though. I remember when they came out. I was riding a 1979 Yamaha XS 1100 Special. I was sitting in one of my little ******* watering holes and this guy kept ragging on me about how he could kick my as he called it Yamahaha. I got tired of listening to him so we went out and touched them of for $20.00 which was a lot of money then. I really thought he was going to beat me. I kicked his ass out of the hole and took him by about 3 bikes supprised the hell out of me. Him too I think. I took his money and told him to go back to the bar and I'd buy him a couple of beers. He never came back, go figure.

Honda CBX Technical Specifications
•Brand: Honda
•Model: CBX
•Production Year: 1979
•Category (Type of Bike): Sport touring
•Engine Size: 1046.00 ccm (63,51 cubic inches)
•Engine Type: In-line six
•Engine Horsepower: 105.00 HP (76,22 kW)) @ 9000 RPM
•Compression Rates: 9.3:1
•Stroke: 4
•Torque: N/A
•Starter Type: N/A
•Top Speed: 220.0 km/h (136,02 mph)
•Transmission Type: Chain
•Gearbox Type: 5 speed
•Fuel Capacity: 24.00 litres (6,31 gallons)
•Fuel Control: DOHC
•Number of Valves: 4
•Cooling System Type: Air
•Weight: N/A
•Length: N/A
•Front Brakes Type: Dual disc
•Rear Brakes Type: Single disc
•Front Tyre Dimensions: 3.50 – 19
•Rear Tyre Dimensions: 4.25 – 18

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
i understand that they are not the fastest bike but the sound of the motor and the uniqueness is what i love.

i NEVER see them on cragistlist ever so i dont know if i will ever get one

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I'd like to find one too.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i understand that they are not the fastest bike but the sound of the motor and the uniqueness is what i love.

i NEVER see them on cragistlist ever so i dont know if i will ever get one

And you probably won't unless it's some idiot with a barn find, or a box of CBX someone wants rid of, but will try to pull a premium.

The place to look for them is owners groups. Someone always has a six sitting around under a tarp they would love to see another enthusiast ride. It's a cult following for the sixes and you either have to scour dealer websites like a hawk (how my brother found his KZ1300) or deal in the right circles.

I recently got a job offer I can't refuse working for a guy that deals primarily in his personal endeavors with CBX1000 sixes. I've even ridden on the back of a pretty hot CBX when I was in my teens and my dad was borrowing it from said business owner needing a hand around the shop with service work. :D

Owning a six is about being in the right place, at the right time, talking to the right people, with the right amount of money in hand. ;)

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts

this thing is Fucking Mint. it belongs to a Guy that helped pay off my Front end swap by purchasing some of my holeshot collection and my bandit head light assembly and a few other bits i had collecting at the shop.

hes eccentric as fuck. a tinkerer like me. he bought one of the new high cc Yamaha Race Quads to put in a Sportbike frame.

hes also the former Parts Manager at the shop from way back in the day. he bought that CBX from a Guy that bought it straight from the crate the day it came in. mind you Many years later. he was also the Technician that set it up from the crate. so believe me when i tell you that bike is his BABY

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

I saw one identical to this last summer, well except it was grey. It looked to be completely original, but pretty rough shape, lots of oxidisation on the alloy and rust spots on the steel. It basically looked like a bike one person had owned for 30 years and done just enough to keep it on the road, no polishing, no repainting or powder coating etc. would have been ideal for a resto, but pretty rough for a runner.

·
Organ Donor
586 Posts
so sexy. i've been creeping craigslist forever waiting for a crashed cbx to come along

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
I found a Z1300 in a bike shop a couple months back. It looked good from across the shop, but get closer and see all the dents, scratches, rust, flaking paint, etc. And they still wanted $2900 for a 31 year old bike that needed alot of TLC

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so sexy. i've been creeping craigslist forever waiting for a crashed cbx to come along

Once again, craigslist isn't going to return results like you would hope for. Everything that ends up there, in the six cylinder realm, will be trashed and top dollar, or 20k+ and pristine. Best bet is to join a CBX forum and scour the ads, post a "want to buy" thread with what your looking for (project, resto, crashed, etc.) and hope for better results.

I found a Z1300 in a bike shop a couple months back. It looked good from across the shop, but get closer and see all the dents, scratches, rust, flaking paint, etc. And they still wanted $2900 for a 31 year old bike that needed alot of TLC

Even my brothers KZ1300 was pretty trashed. Surprised it made it home let alone out for another 500 miles before the stator melted down and the low compression issue was found. Most sixes that are even for sale are worn down and rather ugly in the maintenance history.

I know it sounds rude, but give up on the craigslist searching if you want a six. Join an owners group and work on finding a previous owner who is willing to part with one. Your chances quadruple when you associate with the owners and clubs. The sixes are a passion, an addiction, without that true determined drive to own one, you will always be a curious onlooker hoping that deal of a lifetime just falls in your lap.

Took my brother 8 years to find a suitable six that wasn't totally trashed to shit. Even McBlackens bike was rough and took alot of time and care to get to a point it could be ridden anywhere and he still had issues. I swear the last owner was having some issues with it as well.

Want the F1 sound of a CBX? Associate with these dudes:

http://www.cbxclub.com/

Interested in the howl of the mighty 1300? This is your place to be:

http://www.kz1300.com/

(A quick search of the WHOLE NATION didn't return one CBX for sale on craigslist)

Only KZ1300 on craigslist I can find. 85,000, yes, eighty five thousand, miles. :wtf:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3039703939.html

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The old adage was just brought up by my brother as I was reading off my reply, he said, and I quote:

"If you want a six, you gotta pay to play."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts