Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one stood up to the test of time... and survived it!

Until...

that is....

when I bought it this afternoon. :fu:

Kinda sad to take someones old bracket bike built with Mikuni smooth bore 29's, a Wiseco 1100 kit, welded crank, full ignition system, and full Kerker exhaust and molest the fuck out of it with a combination of modern GS and GSXR parts. Care, I do not. This thing is gonna be long, low, and fast in a strait line.

Planned parts list:

GS500E front wheel (310mm GSXR rotor swap)
GSXR750 Slingshot rear wheel (modified)
GSXR750W "blue" USD's
GSXR1100 swingarm extended 6 inches
GS550E rear tail section
Bowen Upholstery custom seat
Tokico 6 pot caliper up front
Dual Nissin 4 pot (front CBR600F4) units out back on the rear rotor ("traction control"... :nuts:
Single shock conversion

Cherry mutha fuckin' red too. Gonna be a pretty beast when it's done. Some refinishing on the header and pipe with some high temp paint should cure all the surface rust woes this bike is having. Gonna be a decent paced build since winter is closing in fast and the turbo bike needs a rebuild and my supermoto is done.

Welcome to, "The Big Block", build. :party-smiley:

I love these old air cooled monsters! :party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley:

And I do love a bike that a PO opens up and says "Oh no! I don't understand any of this! Quick! Get rid of it for cheap!". LOL

Boo hoo, it's a little dirty. Sissy. I'll clean it up. ;)

Then I started digging through the parts stash and found a bunch of stuff that will bolt up without much effort at all. Yeah, I win.

Expect the updates to roll out pretty fast to begin with as I take advantage of the fantastic late season weather we have been getting in the north. I am itching to dig into the suspension and wheel part of this build and worry about the engine and carbs later on in the winter months when I can just haul the engine into the house and set to the task of a full refreshment (just like the turbo bike) of the power plant.

My whole point here is that I always wanted to build a big block naturally aspirated weekend bike, and here I am, off I go, watch this space for more. :)

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spent a little more time in the shop tonight and checked some parts against the bike and it is looking as thought it will possibly need a different exhaust (sidewinder header and modified Kerker midpipe and muffler) to accommodate the idiotic low ride height it will have with the extended swinger and fork set I have on the particular wheels. Might do some part swapping to make this work right too.

Tire sizes will be 110/17 front, and 160/17 rear, respectively. Just a strait line burner for the weekends. Man, this is just a fun project with off the shelf parts I have laying around and all that. Been so long since I built a really ratty death trap with too much power and not enough of anything else aside from pure luck. :D

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
In before page 32...:)

Always enjoy watching your builds!
Do work...

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
this is ecxellent!I hadda Dunstal GS 1000 E waaaay back and it was balls to tha wall power !

Make this happen Ben I an reely lookin forward to this.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, spent some time off and on in the shop today messing around and this thing and it IS indeed a Wiseco piston shod 1100 setup (1085cc IIRC) with a welded crank (no point having one without the other on these particular engines) and they are the VM29 Mikuni's as stated previously, just need a few small parts that Z1 Enterprises carry in stock for reasonable cost too. Probably need about $100 in carb bits and this thing will run on the rack of 4 like it never skipped a beat.

Used some ether to tick over the cylinders and they all can drag the other 3 along by themselves, meaning that when cranking it over and giving a very short shot of starting fluid each cylinder will speed the engine cranking a little. So not scientific, but I gotta get a friend over here with his high end compression tester to check this thing over proper.

Dyna coils, Mallory wires, NGK plugs. Hell yeah! :rock:

These VM29's make me jeans tight. :D

Once I get this thing up on a stand proper I am gonna start fitting these bits to it and spinning up some spacers on the lathe for the wheel swap. Just need a Tokico 6 piston unit for the 310 rotor on the GS500E wheel. Even the speedo drive (if I can dig one up with a 20mm ID, I swear I have one somewhere) will work and space the wheel properly allowing the use of the stock gauges to keep that old school cool this bike has to begin with.

I sure do know how to pick 'em........

30 years difference in age, no difference in the hooligan nature of these big bore fours! :D

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In before page 32...:)

Always enjoy watching your builds!
Do work...

This thing will be done by page 32! :rock:

Glad to have a new build that is worth watching this time as the updates will flow with this one. A turbo bike is amazing but alot of small work. A big block air cooled is MY grounds, what I get down with and lust after. Fuck a GSXR1000 if I can have a fucking GS1000 built to the limits of usable street bike power. This thing is absolutely ruthless.

Do you really need to be the sharpest tool in the shed when you are a 25lb sledge hammer?

Yeah, I'm working FAST on this one as the warm weather will surely disappear soon and I'll be left wanting to work on the bike and have to heat up the shop to do so, in fact, I want to drag both the Bandit engine and the GS1000 engine into my basement this winter and work in complete comfort rebuilding the both of them with fresh gaskets and internal wear parts. Both chassis's should be sorted by then to the point it will be no worries to just use the shop to park my new (to me) car. Don't really want a '86 Cressida to get rusty now before it gets a small block 302ci on 4 weber dual down drafts. But that is a build for another time in the cage fighters section. :D

Fatty fat fucking fat fucker of a bike. :D

Brakes should be sorted in the coming weeks, gonna get to cleaning up the carbs and order a set of jets, clips, and gaskets from Z1 Enterprises as they carry a great deal of VM29 bits. In the mean time I am going to work at getting the lock stop points welded up and spin up a spacer or two for the rear wheel and new brake setup going on it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looking good. You using the stock swinger instead of the stretched one?

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking good. You using the stock swinger instead of the stretched one?

Yup, since the stock swinger has a 20mm axle, is wide enough to handle the Slingshot wheel, and it still allows the bike to handle decently I am just gonna keep it. Looked for viable swaps for a later date but came up empty handed when it came to anything that looks half okay on the bike as most sportbike swingarms are either braced or bland and I don't care for either of those. lol

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If ya get a chance and you don't mind, could you post up the length of the 20mm portion of that axle. That is "head to thread".

Thanks in advance.

Will do, gotta pull the axle tomorrow morning to swap in the new brake system and see where that all lines up for the channel that needs to be welded into the swingarm to accommodate a RM125 caliper and carrier on the Slingshot rotor.

The black, blue, and white front end is really growing on me. I think I might follow suit to the new GSXR and paint it the same colors mixed in a different way. I have all winter to get that job done so I think powder coated vintage Suzuki blue wheels (as well as a few engine bits) would really set this build apart from the rest of my vintage bikes.

Got to sit on it for the first time with a proper seat on it this evening and I really, really think this thing is pretty much done with the big changes. Gonna whip up some spacers for the rear wheel tomorrow if things go well, at the most basic level I might end up cutting some meat off the chain side spacer and off the cush drive to put the wheel center up perfect.

Also keeping the bars in the pics. Lane splitting width bars in a non lane splitting state. :knucks:

Gonna fit up the GS550E tail to it in place of the odd shaped stock one.

The bars are literally only 1" longer than the pegs on both sides. :D

The '78 and the '98 staring one another down... everyone shits bricks when they hear both of them crank over. They sound completely identical on every account. I've never seen wider eyes when they tick over back to back for guests. I'll shoot a quick video of that tomorrow. :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 87 Posts