Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls !!!

Right so bought a 89' Suzuki GS500E for a measly 150€ which a non functionning motor. PO couldn't tell me what was wrong with it, sold it cauz he is in Med school and CBA to fix it. Engine isn't locked, or so it would seem. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to mechanics so I WILL come here quite often for questions ! You are warned !!!

Right time for the pictures !

More of the how she was are in my presentation page here.

I'll just post a couple of pics of how she sits for the moment !

More rust !

Cracked subframe, don't know if the PO was aware of this.

Don't know if you can see very well, but the filter is filled with something that's a mix between mud and poo, not very tasty !!

The bike is really dirty, covered in rust. PO emptied the fuel tank, for which I am greatfull, took out the tank, airbox and carbs so far, need new air filter but at least the carbs look ok !
Need to sort out a battery to see if I can get her to start up.
This bike is in a very advanced stage of decay, everything needs to be done, the front brake caliber joints are busted, brake fluid on the wheel, disc etc. She is a total mess, which will make it all the more interesting to fighter up and restore.

I think i want to go café direction, having seen a couple of good racers out of tiny 500cc, I'm pretty tight for a budget so I might not be all fancy brand new parts and custom SSSA, I have a limited supply of tools and most are the very basic ones, but I am highly motivated !

Hopefuly with a few tips from you guys and a little help, I might be able to get her back on her feet.

It's gonna be fun !

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right small update !

Took more of the bike off, no pics to show for it though.

I've discovered more interesting facts about the bike, PO said he drop it once and the frame cage does indeed show traces of a small fall (nothing bad just a few scratches), however When taking the front off I realised that the PPO probably smashed the front end because the gauge casings are cracked open, and he stuffed some of the loom in the frond headlight box (with a new handmade hole probably done with a screwdriver....

The positive side of this is that even though it is more damaged than I though it was, it's still healthy looking, none of the essentials are damaged in the least (they are covered in about an inch of muck though :D)

And just for fun I took the headlight off of my GSR (because I need to resolder the headlight, my previous attempt at fixing it finally came off so I got a small pic of the GSR with the GSE headlight, tell me what you guys think !

Stay tuned, I'm assembling a toolkit when I can spare the money towards the bike, bear in mind this is a "as time and money allows" build :D

I would really like to get more work done on it, I just do not have the time to spare at the moment, but I am still trying to get at least an hour or two every week into it !

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right so did a bit of tearing down tonight ... Man this bike is a lame condition :p. Not regretting yet though !!!

First question, kinda of a newbie, should my exhaust rattle when I shake it ? something seems to be moving inside the can ....

Next ! MORE PICTURES !!! (okay 3 but still ...)

Sproket cover

Sproket

Inside the engine WOOOOH !!!

Oh and second question, their seems to be some sort of white deposit around the exhaust pipes (where it connects with the motor) should I be worried ? Everything is black, and then a bit of white around the pipes exits.

Stay tuned !!

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update, went down to the garage to check if the engine was locked (I know it's a non runner, but didn't think about the possible engine lock).

Question is how do I check without turning it on ?!

Put it in 6th gear and try and push / turn the wheel while on centerstand ? I know it should resist but should the wheel feel "smooth" when rolling ? Are their any risks to moving the bike in gear without the carbs/exhaust in ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try turning the engine from the front sprocket bolt! No problem with the exhaust off . The white deposit may have exhaust paste which can help seal leaks

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front as in the smaller one ? Turned the rear wheel by hand this morning, no engine lock so it would seem I was able to get a good 4 or 5 chain revolutions and then stopped cauz it wasn't the easiest thing ^^

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saturday update !

Spent 30mins on the bike trying to get the loom out ... realised some screws where dead and I don't have anything to take them out at the moment, so I didn't actually do much to the bike because I am stuck ... I did take a couple of pictures of where I DW and what sort of equipement I have :D, so you'll have to settle with these ...

My Kia Picanto/toolshed/storageshed/small light source/music station !

Other side of my parking spot, good thing I have a small car, I can fit all three vehicules on it :D

My awesome collection of tools (yes that is all of them !)

As she is sitting now ... alot of screws are gripped by rust, I need to get a few tools to actually take out the rest, Couldn't unscrew the front caliper because it is so badly gripped ...

I also did a small timelapse video for fun, waiting till it uploads to post it.

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, no pics though, teared the bike down some more and slowly moving it inside the flat, but came to another cock blocker.... I cannot for the life of me untighten the engine bolts or the front caliper screws, I threw all the elbow grease and lubricants I could find at it. The thing won't fucking budge... ended in tears as I smashed a spanner against the frame... sometimes I regret buying that lump of metal. I fear I'll never be able to get it running again ....

·
UnicycleMode
7,578 Posts
A small propane or butane torch will head up those bolts hot enough to nearly glow orange and you should be able to get some penetrating lube into them and break them free when they are hot. Keep a fire retardant on hand (extinguisher, water bottle, etc.) if you do heat things up that hot as you may catch grease and oil on fire in the process if the bottom of the engine is rather dirty. ;)

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Hit them with ur purse, Nancy.

An impact should do the job. I have a cheap electric one from harbor freight and I'm considering putting my babies in it.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Thanks for the tip !!! Would a power drill do the work ?( those pneumatic screwdrivers don't know the English for it)

No you need the hammer effect of an impact. A drill just turns. That knock from the impact will shake the bolts loose. Also, WD-40 or a similar penetrating lubricant is going to be your best friend.

If you want to check the motor you can remove the spark plugs so there is no compression fighting you, unscrew the crank inspection cover, put a socket on the crank bolt and turn the crank manually. If the motor is locked it won't budge. If it's seized the most common problem is the rings went and dug into the cylinder. That or someone didn't adjust the valves regularly and a piston may have hit a valve head and shoved it into the cylinder head. That would wedge the piston and reduce the stroke.

If you've bought something with that much damage your best bet is to buy a used running motor and do a swap. It will be cheaper in the long run than rebuilding the current motor. You'll need a lot more tools than what you've got, also.

Good luck with your project. Those 500s are good bikes when they're running right. Damn near bulletproof. They only go bad if an owner neglects them.

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty sure the engine works, PO said it would do a running start but hasn't started in two years ... that and found some of the wiring pretty chewed up. Don't think it's an engine issue.

Impact gun is what I meant in my message, language barrier thing, problems is they cost as much as what I paid for the bike... and I would like to avoid sinking too much money this soon in this build. Once everything is stripped and clean and I have assessed the damage and what needs fixing I shall buy tools. But thank you very much for the input !! Gonna rep as soon as I find a computer !!!

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:doh:

You obviously need the tools to strip it down...
I meant if I could find someone to lend me the tools before buying them. Of course I need the tools ... I just don't want to buy loads of specialized tools that are only needed on bikes and such

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
There are different grades of impact guns. I have an electric one from Craftsman that I've had for 10 years now and I bought it for $80

If you plan to continue riding in your life this is an important tool to own. Also, it works great for any vehicle you own. There are a lot of nuts and bolts that require an impact to assemble or remove. I'd pick one up

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts