Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the situation, I know very little on turbos but im looking to experiment with one.

I understand eBay junk is well; junk
Now since I've made that at clear here's the plan.

The turbo would mount under the seat with the compressor outlet pipe running through the center of the bike in to something like this

Turbo is a junk T3/T4 hybrid turbo.
Turbo here

A alternative motorcycle turbo?
EMUSA Turbo Charger GT15 T15
Here-internal waste gate

I would be running a snow water meth kit with no intercooler. "stage 1 boost pressure controlled"
Snow kit
1-2 gallon tank in molded in my new tail.

I was thinking of 6lbs in looking for 150 peak rwhp

The parts excluding exhaust tubing come out to $600

Again im looking for a "cheap" turbo set up running minimal boost.

Stock compression is 9.5:1

I know that ill never see the performance out of a rear mounted set up as one right off the header, but it saves space, cheaper, and easier to work with.

My questions are

Is ther another junk > $200 that will be less lagging?

Will this waste gate work with the t3/t4?
Here
Other than eBay junk will this BoV work?
Here
With 3-6lbs of boost would it be possible to hit 150rwhp?
What aprox rpm would the turbo spool up?

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
there is a little more than intake and exhaust plumbing to a turbo system, but just to start the discussion, if your goal is around 150hp, then why are you looking at a turbo that is advertised as being capable of producing 400hp. Thats double the size of what you should be looking for.

Subarus have very long exhaust tracts before turbos, so turbo lag does increase, but since the intake setup has a very short path, throttle response is increased, so a longer exhaust tract isnt necessarily all bad. With a proper sized turbo, peak power is hardly affected.

From what i understand, and this may not capture all of what meth does, but basically, it reduces your chance of detonation, so you can run a particular turbo higher and higher without pinging. With a low compression mild build, I dont see the need and complication for this.

If you like ebay turbos, this might be better sized: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT15-T15-20...UDI-A2-FOCUS-TRANSIT-MOTORCYCLE-/350609811025

You need to look at a compressor map for whatever you choose to figure out roughly where your engine matches up to it in terms of efficiency. If you get it wrong, you will have either a laggy as hell turbo or spin it too fast and damage it.

I dont know how to set up carbs for turbocharged application if you have carbs instead of FI.

You still need to supply oil pressure to the turbo and drain it as well. This is easier on some bikes, but some builders choose not to meddle with the bike's oiling system and go for a separate oil pump which has its own implications

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phew, I tried searching but I can't find any rear mounted builds.

All my turbo friend IRL work with cars and not bikes

Edit

Wouldn't I need someone form of air cooling?

I dont plan on plumbing a intercooler.

I figured I could set a water meth kit to kick in and cool it as well as knock prevention.

I definitely like the turbo you linked, it looks like it will work better.

Total cost should be around $800 after plumbing.

I might need a return oil pump if the turbo is to high.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Rear mount was a consideration on my Buildoff bike. Decided against it for a number of reasons.
At 6psi with that much piping between turbo and intake, I probably wouldn't worry about cooling the air. I'm running 4psi, with the turbo basically right next to the exhaust ports, and I'm not cooling it.
You need to run pressurized oil to the turbo and back, and given the distance on a rear mount you'll probably have to use a proprietary pump for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear mount was a consideration on my Buildoff bike. Decided against it for a number of reasons.
At 6psi with that much piping between turbo and intake, I probably wouldn't worry about cooling the air. I'm running 4psi, with the turbo basically right next to the exhaust ports, and I'm not cooling it.
You need to run pressurized oil to the turbo and back, and given the distance on a rear mount you'll probably have to use a proprietary pump for it.

Will this oil pump work?
here

Im not sure what to do on my carburetor side, im running gsx750f carbs.

I want to upgrade them but im not sure exactly what I need?

What kind of rwhp do you predict I would make off my 1157 with a gsxr cam 9.5:1 comp @6lbs

·
Former bike builder
1,240 Posts
Few advice... Forget words "cheap" "budget" "easy" "internet forums help" when even thinking turbobuild.. Almost every one that will tell you what to do, has not made anything them self. Yes there will be some good info too, but its hard to know what are good advice on what is not.

By making few over 350rwhp gsxr i have learned to keep my mouth shut.. Have fun with you learning proses. It will not be cheap :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Few advice... Forget words "cheap" "budget" "easy" "internet forums help" when even thinking turbobuild.. Almost every one that will tell you what to do, has not made anything them self. Yes there will be some good info too, but its hard to know what are good advice on what is not.

By making few over 350rwhp gsxr i have learned to keep my mouth shut.. Have fun with you learning proses. It will not be cheap :)

So its not possible to build a rear mounted turbo set up for > 1000

Im just looking for 150hp not 350 lol.

I got quoted $1700 for a 1216 11:1 conversion that would make 150hp I figured if I could generate around that for less money it would easier going a turbo route

·
Noobie
2,700 Posts

^rear mounted like that?
it's build by the same shop that build the "Blade" yantosh mention above, an australian shop... :doh: i forgot what the shop named...

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
$800? double that

You could easily make 200hp doing it youself with lots of parts searching and prep for about $1500 (being very frugal waiting for quality used part deals)

If you dont grasp the basics of a turbocharging something there are tons of resources to bring you up to speed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

^rear mounted like that?
it's build by the same shop that build the "Blade" yantosh mention above, an australian shop... :doh: i forgot what the shop named...
1st that is beautiful

2nd almost exactly like that but above the swing arms. With the 6" extension going on here soon there will be plenty of space right above the pivot under the seat towards The rear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$800? double that

You could easily make 200hp doing it youself with lots of parts searching and prep for about $1500 (being very frugal waiting for quality used part deals)

If you dont grasp the basics of a turbocharging something there are tons of resources to bring you up to speed.
Please im all ears, well eyes.

What turbo would work best, the clearance on the front feane seems a bit small for a intercooler;

What parts would you recommend?

·
Noobie
2,700 Posts

·
3,993 Posts
Anything's possible if you're willing to work for it. There's always money involved, but if you know where to look and have some patience you can significantly lower your costs.
Bear in mind I have a higher starting point, my goal is ~230HP. I searched on and off for a few weeks and found a turbo that suited my needs on Craigslist for $80. Through negotiating properly and the resources available to me (in this case a guy at my shop with lots of experience building turbo rally cars), I was able to get the seller to deliver it to my shop and have it inspected by the aforementioned turbo guy before I paid for it. Scoured eBay for a couple weeks and found a TiAL wastegate for a great price. Built the manifold myself, going to build the dump pipes myself, going to build the plenum myself... that's over $1k saved right there. Currently looking for good deals on the fuel system components I need (Note: not cheap components but solid, high-end stuff that is on sale or used in good condition. Don't cheap out on this stuff or you'll be pretty unhappy with the end result).
It can be done. You just need to be willing to do it. It isn't as easy as taking it to a shop with a blank check and saying "I want this end result."

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anything's possible if you're willing to work for it. There's always money involved, but if you know where to look and have some patience you can significantly lower your costs.
Bear in mind I have a higher starting point, my goal is ~230HP. I searched on and off for a few weeks and found a turbo that suited my needs on Craigslist for $80. Through negotiating properly and the resources available to me (in this case a guy at my shop with lots of experience building turbo rally cars), I was able to get the seller to deliver it to my shop and have it inspected by the aforementioned turbo guy before I paid for it. Scoured eBay for a couple weeks and found a TiAL wastegate for a great price. Built the manifold myself, going to build the dump pipes myself, going to build the plenum myself... that's over $1k saved right there. Currently looking for good deals on the fuel system components I need (Note: not cheap components but solid, high-end stuff that is on sale or used in good condition. Don't cheap out on this stuff or you'll be pretty unhappy with the end result).
It can be done. You just need to be willing to do it. It isn't as easy as taking it to a shop with a blank check and saying "I want this end result."
I would build my own plume, and use flex exhaust hose for the exhaust inlet for the turbo. I could wrap the whole exhaust to help trap the heat and make it look better. I would use the GT15 T15 that was recommended. Run a return scavenger pump.
Use a oil temp gauge and probably run a A/F gauge.

If the intake temperature is to high I would pick up a stage 1 water/meth kit

The things that I dont understand is where the BOV goes and how to run the carburetor.

Also @10000rpm would the GT15 T15 turbo over spool?

Im only looking for a modest 3-6lbs of boost I just want to make around 150 - 180rwhp

I do have dyno access

·
3,993 Posts
If intake temp is too high, throw an intercooler on there. Way simpler/easier than a spray kit that you have to refill all the time.

BOV goes between turbo and throttle body (or carb in your case), generally on the plenum/airbox.

No idea what the spooling capability is on one of those. But you're correct in your line of thinking... a bike engine spins to way higher RPMs than a car, so you're putting out much more exhaust flow into the turbo (all else being equal... like displacement).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If intake temp is too high, throw an intercooler on there. Way simpler/easier than a spray kit that you have to refill all the time.

BOV goes between turbo and throttle body (or carb in your case), generally on the plenum/airbox.

No idea what the spooling capability is on one of those. But you're correct in your line of thinking... a bike engine spins to way higher RPMs than a car, so you're putting out much more exhaust flow into the turbo (all else being equal... like displacement).
Would a small intercooler like this one work?

I still don't know what to do onmy carburetor side

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
man I cant wait to build a turbo bike. I have like 99% of the parts to build a full setup but now don't even have a bike at the moment haha.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts