Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've had an account here for years but can't remember any info to get into my old account so here I am starting over.

This is my build post for my 1974 Yamaha dt175, I'm not gonna put a label on it cuz it's kind of hard to label, it will have hints of cafe, street fighter, street tracker here and there. I'm just gonna build it and what comes out is what comes out.

I'm pretty far into this build so these first few posts might seem a little all over the place but in this post I'll pretty much explain what I'm doing and post a pic of the day I picked it up.

So... 1974 dt175, I was told it runs but wasn't able to start it due to a dead battery so I took a chance, brought it home, put my grom battery in it, sprayed some starter fluid in it and it started up first kick so we're good there!

On to what I'm doing and parts being used.
(Front end)
Yz85 front forks, cannon racecraft custom made fork spring .52 spring weight 3" shorter than stock, racetech spacers to make up for the 3 inches in springs, new fork seals, 20w fork oil, upper fork tubes powdercoated copper, yz85 triple (modified), triple powdercoated black, all balls steering stem bearings, ttr125l front hub, hub powdercoated copper, Buchanan custom made spokes, DNA 17x3.5" black hoop, yz85 front caliper, yz85 big rotor, woodcraft 46mm clip ons

(Rear end)
Custom made swingarm out of double stacked chromoly welded that is 2" longer than stock wheel base, yz125 rear hub, hub powdercoated copper, Buchanan spokes, DNA 17x3.5" black hoop, yz125 rear brakes.

(Engine)
As of right now it's staying stock and painted black, I'm talking with eric gorr about doing some port work and milling the head but we will see.

(Exhaust)
I modified a yz125 pro circuit expansion chamber/silencer to fit this bike, I'm gonna have to do some bending to get the silencer where I want it but no big deal.

(Frame)
Rear hoop has been cut off, everything I didn't need detabed, seat mounts welded in, tail cowl area has been skeletonized in .75" chromoly and I'll be filling it in with fiberglass. I still need to weld in my wiring tray but other than that it's ready for powdercoat. Still undecided on the color.

(Tank)
Will be painted but I'm still not sure on the color, thinking maybe dark blue with classic Yamaha speed blocks.

I think that about covers it, here's a pic of the day I picked it up. I'll post pics of what I've done thruout the day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So with the front end it was pretty much a straight swap with the allballs bearings except the steering stem was 1/2" to short. So I put it on the ole material stretcher and made it 1/2" longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My front wheel/tire clearance is gonna be very close, hoping I can work this out.
There's also a pic of my front end all together with my woodcraft clipons, minus wheel cuz I'm still waiting on my spokes to come in.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And this is where I'm at right now, working on fiberglassing the rear tail cowl. I suck at fiberglass but I'm really liking how this is turning out.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! Hopefully I don't disappoint! It's been a few years since I've built a bike so trying to get back into the swing of things.

I spent the better part of last night trying to get the cartridge out of the lower forks and finally said screw it and dropped them off at my local mechanic to have him install my lowering spacers in the forks. I should be able to pick those up tomorrow along with my powdercoated parts so hopefully can get these forks back together next week.

Spent this morning sanding the frame getting everything smooth, it will be sandblasted and powdercoated so I only took it to 80 grit. Then shot a coat of black on it real quick to keep it from rusting.

I'm still trying to decide if I wanna mono shock the rear or not so I'm gonna wait a while to have the frame powdercoated.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh yeah I also finished up my fiberglass tail pieces. I'm no fiberglass guy but I think these turned out pretty great. Just need to make my mounts for them and then they will be ready for paint.

Also I dropped my seat pan off to the upholsterer yesterday so should get that back next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you natan!

I haven't had much time to work on it this weekend due to family being in town but I was able to get the forks and hubs back from powdercoat and get them put back together. I still need to paint the lower lugs gloss black.

My steering stem bearings should be here Tuesday and the spokes for the front wheel should be here in a week and the front end will be finished.

Pics don't really do the color justice cuz they look brown but they are actually copper with flake in it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts