Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently found out that my wife and I are having another baby. This means my already hectic schedule is about to get worse, and I have even less time to work on my bike. I have been looking for a bike around the 2k range that will get be around town well and will be reliable. Ran across a good deal on a Buell Bast. I did some research and it sounds perfect for what I need but I have no experience with them. I need opinions here!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
They are comfy have a clunky gear box can ride 2 up top around 90 ( I'm 160lbs and was in full tuck only going 91) but you can jet it. Personally they're cool bikes but not my cup of tea. Not sure of parts availability but there is a huge "thumper" following so I'm sure you find all parts through there but I'm pretty sure they don't make new parts for them.

For 2k you pick up a bandit 6 sv650 ninja 650 or Fz or something along those lines that'll cruise better at highway speeds and when ever you do get that rare occasion to go have fun you won't be bored. I've got 3 kids myself 3 years old 2 years old and 7 months so I get what you're looking for but I'd stay away from the blast but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
If it runs good, etc. I'd definitely check it out. Are you in Meridian, Boise area? If it's not too far amigo,go for it. I really like the Blasts, but wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it. Also, you have to ask yourself if you're happy and content with 500 cc's as well. I say cash talks amigo, and the riding season (at least over here in the pdx area,) is coming closer to a close. You'll have lots of awesome options and deals you can make. Also, if you put 1k into your bike now would it be bad ass? Thats another option, dump half that into your current bike and make it yours!

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Buell = yes
Blast = no

If I were to buy a "cheap" bike I'd buy another GS500 in a heartbeat. It'll out run and out handle a Blast all day everyday, the aftermarket is huge and it didn't change for like 20 years so there are tons of parts out there.

I owned those bikes within a month of each other.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
The only reason I didn't buy one is because it got sold out from under me...was gonna buy it to have a little bike to play around on and eventually have something to teach the wife on. I think you should do it, but ultimately its your choice so do what you want to do.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
bring 1200 cash and ride away on a f2 just make sure its noot beat to shit. bring a compression gauge and some tools but either way those motors are bullet proof. id definatly take that all day bring cash its the end of season people cant afford their summer time toy anymore you steal it for cheap

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
use search, i've seen this thread about 5 times with in the last few months

not being a jerk being helpful.. there is a thread of about 6 buell owners giving their thoughts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live about an hour away from Boise, and I am willing to drive about 5hrs to pick something up if it is decent. This means, anywhere from Saltlake City to Parts of Wa, Portland OR, ECT. I found this GS500 what do you think? http://eastoregon.craigslist.org/mcy/4090932179.html I have never ridden one but what I don't understand is how my 86 VF500 has 86 hp yet this GS500 only is in the 50's. Also I am not stuck on a 500. I would love something larger if I could find it for a good price.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
They are comfy have a clunky gear box can ride 2 up top around 90 ( I'm 160lbs and was in full tuck only going 91) but you can jet it. Personally they're cool bikes but not my cup of tea. Not sure of parts availability but there is a huge "thumper" following so I'm sure you find all parts through there but I'm pretty sure they don't make new parts for them.

For 2k you pick up a bandit 6 sv650 ninja 650 or Fz or something along those lines that'll cruise better at highway speeds and when ever you do get that rare occasion to go have fun you won't be bored. I've got 3 kids myself 3 years old 2 years old and 7 months so I get what you're looking for but I'd stay away from the blast but that's just me.
This.

Buell = yes
Blast = no

If I were to buy a "cheap" bike I'd buy another GS500 in a heartbeat. It'll out run and out handle a Blast all day everyday, the aftermarket is huge and it didn't change for like 20 years so there are tons of parts out there.

I owned those bikes within a month of each other.
And this.

use search, i've seen this thread about 5 times with in the last few months

not being a jerk being helpful.. there is a thread of about 6 buell owners giving their thoughts
My thoughts when I first saw the thread, but I think all of the other threads were talking about the big Buells... don't remember a whole lot of content on the Blast. Perhaps the title should be changed to "Thinking about a Buell Blast..."

As I noted above, I agree with what these guys are saying. Blast's are ok for noobs or for someone who wants to hack the shit out of the thing to make something cool... It wouldn't be in my top ten for around town use with a $2k budget.

With $2k the world is pretty much your oyster... tons of options to chose from. If you're doing a performance comparison, that Blast is roughly the equivilent of a 250 Ninja... and you can get a really nice 250R for $2k. If I were buying, I'd be on the lookout for a Ninja 500... I hear the GS500 is better, but I don't have any experience with them... I had a Ninja 500 and loved the shit out of it... small, light, decent power... with exhaust it sounds good... comfortable. Still part of my weekly CL search and if I find one cheap enough that my wife won't leave me, I'll have another in my garage sometime in the futre...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have seen these. The XS11 has been sitting for 4mo, and he said it ran great when he parked it. He said it wont start now, but he also has not drained the carbs and put in fresh fuel. Ninja 650 is a little out of my range. If I could find something a little under 2k that would be preferable. I saw the yellow 750 but wasnt sure with it sitting so long I thought about going to look at it. I really liked the TL I just wans't sure on milleage, and again a little out of my price range. I really did think about the XS11 but again I am looking for something that is reliable and I WILL NOT have to work on, at least for now. I am actually having to sell my VF500 because of time and money.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
I've done a bit of research on the blast, it's a good solid little bike for a chick.....the blast was actually designed for women and in the later years was actually an admitted(by buell) mistake and scraped...

That being said I'm a HUGE fan of ALL the buells even the thunderbolt which I think is hideously ugly, the cyclone like Daytona has is the bike Nicholas Cage used in Ghost Rider to do the jumps, and the XB lightning was used in The A Team....

....all the buells are simple machines to work on, the Thunderbolt, Cyclone, X1, XB and the blasts were designed for ease of maintenance, hence the no maintenance, non-adjustable drive belts, just ride until it snaps

I think the blast is a cool bike, it's basically the XB 9 minus 1 cylinder, I really want to get one for my wife

Honestly bro if you are interested in a buell I'd try to up your budget a little and score a cyclone, X1 or xb9 they will give you much more bang for your buck, if not the blast is a great choice for a little town terror but as said before dont pay a penny over $1500 and even at that price you should be able to get one already setup with and exhaust

If ya feel like fixing one give this guy a shout

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcy/4049182490.html

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Reactions: Dakotaplatt
1 - 20 of 86 Posts