Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a bike from another user, rabies, who tipped me off to this forum and said you guys would be interested.

http://youtu.be/HFNxiWqUaB4

This is the version 1 tachometer, will work with any ignition system(inductive) or square wave output(conductive), has battery meter built in, peak RPM recall, and is less than 3/4" thick. This is serial number 1 and my personal one so it is showing off my awesome electronics, otherwise it would have a black background. I'm thinking about doing a kickstarter to do large volume run. So I want some feedback, though anything is helpful, I really want to know what would you be willing to pay for this?(assuming the leds are the color you want) That way I know if this would even be possible sell for more than it costs before I get too many crazy ideas.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Welcome to CF. Post up in the noob section and tell us a little about yourself.

Very cool that you can build your own gadgets. Are you able to make the tach smaller? What is your coat to build it?

I like it. If I was in the market I may spend $50. Lots of competition out there and the uncertainty of longevity are your enemy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks like it could be good. Make it smaller as its far to big right now IMO anyway

Most kick starters that reach their goal still fail as they have no manufacturing experience.
Making a one off prototype is childs play compared to the complexities of tooling, manufacturing and reselling.

You have a mark stating made in USA which is good, but if you are going to mass manufacture anything in the USA its going to cost you a lot when compared to China for instance. When the build quality will be no different.

Id recommend "Designed in the USA" for instance as that frees you up to get parts made for cheaper.

Last point is you are going to have to compete against the established companies like KOSO for example. You either have to be cheaper or better.

Good luck with it though, ill be interested to see how you get on.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i would also be interested to see what happens

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like it could be good. Make it smaller as its far to big right now IMO anyway
We were thinking about doing a 3" and a 5" which is only slightly larger than the one in the video

Most kick starters that reach their goal still fail as they have no manufacturing experience.
Making a one off prototype is childs play compared to the complexities of tooling, manufacturing and reselling.
We have actually spun up a run of 150 of boards, but we couldn't afford assembly and all of the components at the same time. So we bought Pick and Place machine to help with assembly, so we already know how to design for manufacture.

You have a mark stating made in USA which is good, but if you are going to mass manufacture anything in the USA its going to cost you a lot when compared to China for instance. When the build quality will be no different.

Id recommend "Designed in the USA" for instance as that frees you up to get parts made for cheaper.
I really don't want to send it to china because quality control and communication is also expensive that and the flexibility to change or update your design mid production can be helpful. However the cost saving are insanely high while not compromising on quality of the product when you go to China so its still on the table.

We are thinking about doing one with two bars so it can display rpm and speed. It looks like the going price people want to pay is a little lower than I'd like it to be but taking it to china should still make it do able. As far as longevity concerns go we'd probably give a lifetime warranty on them so people know we are serious about quality. Thanks for the feedback, if there are any features that you would really want let me know because I might not thought of them yet.

·
The Wizard
32 Posts
Having rpm and speed together would be killer. I would easily spend $100 on a 3" dual mode one or more depending on the final design and look. I think you may be on to something. There is a Canadian company that makes gauges here and they start at around $175 and up. But they have all your indicators.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hey there welcome in
My name is Kai.

I have personal experience on having stuff manufactured in China for a few different business ventures ive been a part of as well as have family in China in the trade as well.

Let me know if I can be of help to you.

Very cool product id like to see you succeed

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I just watched the video in a dimly lit room and it blinded the hell outta me. Could there be an easy way to incorporate a dim feature? That could get pretty rough at night.

And not to step on any toes,but I'd rather pay a few extra bucks than have it sent to China. Too much of that shit going on already. No offense,just my opinion. But I would definitely buy one of those,especially with the current see-thru face. I dig it.

Best of luck to you.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
We were thinking about doing a 3" and a 5" which is only slightly larger than the one in the video

We have actually spun up a run of 150 of boards, but we couldn't afford assembly and all of the components at the same time. So we bought Pick and Place machine to help with assembly, so we already know how to design for manufacture.

I really don't want to send it to china because quality control and communication is also expensive that and the flexibility to change or update your design mid production can be helpful. However the cost saving are insanely high while not compromising on quality of the product when you go to China so its still on the table.

We are thinking about doing one with two bars so it can display rpm and speed. It looks like the going price people want to pay is a little lower than I'd like it to be but taking it to china should still make it do able. As far as longevity concerns go we'd probably give a lifetime warranty on them so people know we are serious about quality. Thanks for the feedback, if there are any features that you would really want let me know because I might not thought of them yet.
having both speed and a ring tach would be awesome, worth a few more rubles for me. also being original and not being a knockoff of a knockoff is cool. standing behind your product is paramount.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Having rpm and speed together would be killer. I would easily spend $100 on a 3" dual mode one or more depending on the final design and look. I think you may be on to something. There is a Canadian company that makes gauges here and they start at around $175 and up. But they have all your indicators.
I agree with pinball, I honestly would rather have MPH and tach. If incorporated, I'd easily spend $100 for a reliable piece. I wouldn't care much about the indicators.

·
KING SHIT OF FUCK ISLAND
6,159 Posts
That's awesome, I'd be interested. I'd much rather support a garage hacker tinkerer than send my money to Koso or Vapor etc. Know what'd be awesome, and probably be a big hit? Make a thin, slim, rectangular gauge with only two straight bars for MPH and RPM... I'd give you many rupees. For most of us our indicators are our eyes, ears, and common sense... I think they're unneccesary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just watched the video in a dimly lit room and it blinded the hell outta me. Could there be an easy way to incorporate a dim feature? That could get pretty rough at night.

And not to step on any toes,but I'd rather pay a few extra bucks than have it sent to China. Too much of that shit going on already. No offense,just my opinion. But I would definitely buy one of those,especially with the current see-thru face. I dig it.

Best of luck to you.
Yeah we are intending to put a photosensor on there of some sort so it can auto adjust the brightness.

As for making it in china it will cost more than just a few bucks more to make elsewhere, I haven't shipped an electronics project over there before but from the sounds of it you are going to pay at least 50% more keeping it in the states which translates $10-30. When people are saying $100 is what they want to pay, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either you pay $150 and support local economies or pay $100 and support some economy that's not local. If no one wants to pay the extra price, then the only thing you can do is take it to China and hope the lower price will help. For first run we made our own leads, after figuring out all of our cost and labor it comes to about $15 per unit, we have since sent it to China because it only costs us about $3 a unit, which is slightly more than what we paid for just the connector when we did it in house.

The clear faceplate is something we could offer as an option the only problem with that is it makes it a little harder to see in direct sunlight. With the regular black faceplate its pretty easy to read in direct sun. Still not quite as easy to read as I would want it to but leds are only so intense, the easiest way to help the contrast is to shade it from the sun so it doesn't shine straight on it, or have it at an angle so sun isn't straight on it.

We are currently looking at some different leds for testing and we might even go where each led can change any color. When we get a version 2 put together I'll be sure to post again. I'll keep an eye on this thread for more feedback. Thanks for all the input!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts