Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

This site is going to make me...

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dogbreath 
#1 ·
... Build another 'fighter.

After my CBR blew up on me at 150mph, I figured I'd get an "interim" bike for cheap and found my Bandit. I'd been hoping the CBR would last me until next year, when I had my credit mostly fixed up and I could rebuild it by buying a newish sportbike with a personal loan. Alas, the CBR could only take so much of a beating after 50K+ miles of redline riding.

The Bandit has been serving me well, but I still want to get another bike. I want a literbike! I've been riding for four years and over 80K miles, I'm more than ready! (But not financially.) So my original idea was to get a 'Busa, or an '05 ZX10R (in Kawi Green!). But now, after building a mild 'fighter, and seeing all these frickin' BADASS bikes on this site and elsewhere....

... I'm atually considering picking up a crashed literbike for a few thousand, something only a couple of years old, and using the money I would have spent on the ZX10 to mod the living crap out of it.

My reasonable side says I'm crazy, but I find the prospect of buildiing up a real streetfighter - gobs of power, modern-day handling, solo seat, absurdly loud exhaust - really exciting. I would just need it to not be my only ride as there will be downtime while I mod things on it. I'd have my Bandit so I'd be golden.

I can't do this right now - I need to move the 'rents to a better neighborhood and find a better place for myself as well - but the gears are turning. And yes, I can mostly thank (blame?) ya'll for this crazy, crazy thought :wtf::D

See less See more
#8 ·
you really think so? i work on and build a few at my job and they are on e of the EASIEST bikes to fix. i mostly fix wrecked bikes by putting them back to stock but i thought about fightering one but most people around here want a plastic bike. oh well. if i had the money for another bike i would fighter one.

#4 ·
I am in a much worse place than you guys. I have a motor on its way, I have access to welders, pipe benders, and all necessary equipment to make my dream bike. it will take a long ass time, but I plan on building a proper (individualized) fighter that will KICK ASS and I blame cf.com for it

TAHNK YOU

#6 ·
I think we are all looking for our next project

I also blame the site

I am thinking about bailing out of the bandit and was thinking about a cafe racer style but after seeing the thread on the goldwing figthers I've found myself really interested in that type project

any thoughts???????????

#9 ·
Hey I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum :confused:I meant to put in Riding. Any mods around, feel free to move it...

^
:Stupid: lol

Anyway, I was thinking 'Busa because of all the power. I know handling is a complaint for some, but then I'd be stripping it down so the weight would be reduced.

An R1 is another option, I can get a beat-up specimen for $4K or so, not an '07 obviously but at least from this decade. I immediately thought of a Gixxer but it seems there are alot of those. Another one would be a CBR1000RR.... Whatever it is, it needs to have at least 140HP stock and good handling. Everything else, I'll take care of.

BUT I got to thinking after posting this thread, mostly about all the time that building up the Bandit has taken away from my photography - which is Priority Number One. I need to shoot more, market myself more, learn more about the business side of things, more on studio lighting.... it may seem irrelevant to talk about this on this site, but as we all know, building a fighter the right way sucks up plenty of time.

It may be easier for me to just buy a ZX10R, slap a slip-on and Power Commander on it, chuck the rear fender, put in a double-bubble windscreen and frame sliders and be done with it.

Hmmmm. I still have a few months to go.

#12 ·
This is gonna be something I want to do. Except use a 929 engine. Just tryin to figure out how to keep it on there and reinforce some things to make it a keeper and not a temporary novelty.

I know a welder(by profession), but he never did bikes before. I can get an engine and find a vespa. Just figurin a way to make things work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.