Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new project and just came across this bike thats about 5 minutes down the road from me (haven't gone to look at it yet)

http://jackson.craigslist.org/mcy/4308035492.html

He said he doesn't have a key for it so no way to try and start it up to see if it runs, he's got a clean title on it. He doesn't seem like he knows much about bikes, just some guy that bought one, wrecked it, and never rode it again. He said there is a very small dent in the frame that is not really noticeable, other than that just cosmetic minus the gauges/keys

What do you guys think about the price?

Any way to hotwire/bypass an 08 R6 easily to test it out?

Thanks,
Spencer

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Depends on his asking price...what does he think the "Motor/Frame is worth?" he may think he has a pile of gold, and you think it's a pile of shit...wouldn't hurt to go check it out though. What did he hit? It looks more serious than just road rash...

BTW, I'm in Tupelo, MS. seen that the ad is in Starkville...if you are looking for someone to help or just ride with, hit me up. I am in the middle of a build myself.

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
Is the right fork tube higher in the triples than the left?.

Might be worth a look.
Great eye, don't know how I managed to miss that. Definitely way off there

Indeed - that's a few inches off. Also, ask him how long it's been sitting - that chain is really rusted out. It always makes me wonder how much people know about their bikes when they don't even slightly clean up the bike for a picture (half a fairing hanging off, the fork thing, etc).

And the no key would worry me . Double check that VIN on the frame. It would sort of seem like he's trying to hide something (it's one thing if a guy with a 70's xs650 is missing a key, but an '08???)

Go look at it. But I wouldn't pay $2800 for it, though. There was an '09 Raven w/ 11k (fairing damaged in a wreck along with tank) that I missed out on in my area that went for under $2k a week ago.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
And the no key would worry me . Double check that VIN on the frame. It would sort of seem like he's trying to hide something (it's one thing if a guy with a 70's xs650 is missing a key, but an '08???)
Ditto! That seems really odd to me, but it could be legit. Call that one a pink flag, I guess.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A good used motor is worth maybe $600. A scratched/dented aluminum frame is worth scrap value. $2800 is pretty high. I'd offer like 2 grand tops, especially if you have to get keys. Some bikes have codes on the back of the ignition cylinder and a dealer can cut you new keys, some don't. Locksmiths won't fit a key unless you have a current title in your name.

The way around that is to take the cylinder for the seat lock or something off, and have them fit a key for that. I did this for an old nighthawk I bought without keys. Charged $20 to make a key, and it worked in the ignition with a bit of fiddling.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
any newer bike you need the code from the ignition. the seat lock and gas cap only use a portion of the tumblers, not all of them. and i would offer maybe a grand for it. no keys so you cant hear it run. frame is tucked so its worthless. if the frame is tucked the forks and wheel are most likely damaged too. also no gauge cluster means you you cant see if there are any codes or anything. in all honesty id pass on it

Reactions: GSX750_SF

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.