Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Soo FOOKIN close!
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the great feedback guys, but it aint happening. I started sanding the tank down yesterday, and the colors and layers are different, and it looks like shit. I'm pretty bummed about that, but I at least now I get the oppertunity to learn how to use a spray gun :D

·
That just happened
246 Posts
I think it can look cool. Pics of the first try man!!

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
we gotta fly there tie ya down and force ya to doit! ;)

·
Soo FOOKIN close!
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just lay down the colors you like and give it a try........
Would I be able to use a rattle can? Is the paint "thick" enough after say, 3 coats? I'm a little worried about painting it and then sanding, only to find that the layers are too thin, and I can't really afford to go and dump a whole lotta cash on paint ATM.

·
Yup.
3,735 Posts
You could always just mimic the effect with three different colors instead of trying to actually make it happen

·
Registered
740 Posts
The thing with rattle can paint is that it's not hardened, so it sands away very very quickly. I'd do a couple heavier coats of each color, giving at least overnight for each color to dry before spraying the next. Sand as you want, when you're happy, get a can of SprayMax 2K clear. It's a 2-part rattle can, you "activate" it, which releases a vial of hardener into the can. Then clear over your job to prevent nicks and scratches. Gasoline will also readily take off non-hardened paint, something to consider for a gas tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts