Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Does anyone know of any bikes that has a throttle assembly where the throttle comes out of the cam underneath the handlebars as opposed to the top of the handlebars which all the ones I know of do. I hope this makes sense!!!!

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
pics?

Do you mean where the cable exists the twist grip.
My R6 has the cable exiting pointing down.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Can't you just undo the bolt and turn the throttle tube and cable house and it'll do the same thing?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't you just undo the bolt and turn the throttle tube and cable house and it'll do the same thing?
I have thought of that but it would completely alter the way the way the throttle operates. Your would need to give a big reach around (ahem!!!!) to wind the throttle open it just wouldn't feel like a natural hand movement (again, ahem!!!).

I appreciate the suggestion, but it would make the throttle virtually unusable unless you had weird wrists!!!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
IM going go look at a throttle tube but in my mind wouldn't it be the same amount of turning you're doing? Just as long as you move the throttle tube too. It'd be the same amount of movement just positioned different on the bar. Idk im about to go have a look at 1 of the throttle assemblies I have in the garage

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with spinning the throttle tube is that the area of travel with the throttle will change. If I did this then the throttle would reach the end of its travel where it would normally start if the tube was in its correct position. In order to operate the throttle I would have to reach further round the grip to get the full travel. Bearing in mind I will be flipping the tube by 180 degrees I can't see how this would work!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link Yan.

The look and the price is right but I will need to check if these work with the two push/pull cables or just one cable and they seem to be primarily made for dirt bikes.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I still think you're over thinking but my 02 r1 has the throttle assembly under the bar.

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Whether the cables are up, down, front, or back won't matter as long as you keep the cables in the same orientation relative to the throttle housing. If the throttle needs 1/5-1/4 turn to open, it'll still need 1/5-1/4 turn to open. Only if you switch the cables, will it rotate in the opposite direction but will still rotate just the 1/5-1/4 turn.

Later, Doug

Reactions: hrdy

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
The problem with spinning the throttle tube is that the area of travel with the throttle will change. If I did this then the throttle would reach the end of its travel where it would normally start if the tube was in its correct position. In order to operate the throttle I would have to reach further round the grip to get the full travel. Bearing in mind I will be flipping the tube by 180 degrees I can't see how this would work!
You are super over thinking it. It doesnt matter if the housing is turned or not you grip it the same and it will turn the same, you dont have to grip it from one particular point. Turn the thing 180 degrees or whatever so the cable point down like you want them and it will still function 100% like it should unless the cables get bound up. 1/4 turn is a 1/4 turn no matter where the housing is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think everyone is missing my point. If you imagine a tube that had a certain amount of travel to suit how your wrist would flex while moving it, that area of travel will be set up to work with the natural flex range of the wrist. If you then rotate that are area of travel by 180 degrees then it no longer works with the natural flex of the wrist, but against it. When you wind up the throttle, your wrist will run out of flex way before the full travel of the throttle meaning you would probably never get above half throttle. I would like to hear from someone who has done this to see if I am tight or wrong as I will probably try it on mine tomorrow even though I don't think it will work!!

·
Super Moderator
3,021 Posts
Remember to turn the throttle tube 180* too. If the cable tabs are opposite of the cables, then when you turn it, the tabs must still be opposite of the cables.

Later, Doug

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Ok sorry but this is almost starting to feel like a troll thread, is it?
The throttle only moves a certain amount of degrees, say 90 for example (1/4 turn), it will only ever turn that amount, regardless of where you put it on the bars. Theres just no difference in where you put the housing, its all the same, throttle will turn the exact same, only thing that can change that is hand position.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts