Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not find anything on this yet on the forum. Do you guys blip the throttle when street riding? I have read that it saves your transmission and will make you faster. I just started trying to learn this technique. Did you have trouble learning and do you believe it is essential?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Are you talking about rev matching on downshifts? Because I absolutely do that.

·
Registered
740 Posts
In order to do a clutchless downshift, sure. It takes a little practice to get the hang of doing it smoothly. Put a little pressure down on the shifter while coasting (closed throttle), then blip the gas, when the torque in the transmission zeroes the shifter will move down. The trick is blipping just hard enough so in the moment the transmission is in neutral/between gears, the revs raise up to match the lower gear. If you're off, you get a jerk of accel/decel as the engine's speed is abruptly changed. It's a lot easier on some bikes than others.

If anything you might save a totally negliglible amount of clutch wear. I still generally prefer to fan the clutch a little on aggressive downshifts, makes the shift much smoother.

Plus, clutches are a lot cheaper than transmissions.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I always do blip the throttle on the downshifts, even in cars. Was something I learned when I learned to drive and it's just stuck with me the entire time.

Throttle blip on the downshifts on my old KZ550 bobber. Holy hell I filmed this nearly 5 years ago back when it had the ignition issue!

(I tend to forget about this one, it only had one owner after me... the kid that bought it from me, dude refused to wear a helmet and had a pension for running the poor KZ as fast as it would go. Shot off the outside of a corner at about 80mph and needless to say, the injuries sustained.... he didn't make it. The only thing keeping me from laying awake at night is the fact it wasn't a poorly built bike. Riding season upon us, I will remind anyone reading this to ride safe, please wear at least a helmet, and it's better to slow it down and ride another day than to be a hero and get hurt.)

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
I always do blip the throttle on the downshifts, even in cars. Was something I learned when I learned to drive and it's just stuck with me the entire time.

Throttle blip on the downshifts on my old KZ550 bobber. Holy hell I filmed this nearly 5 years ago back when it had the ignition issue!

kzpyle - YouTube

(I tend to forget about this one, it only had one owner after me... the kid that bought it from me, dude refused to wear a helmet and had a pension for running the poor KZ as fast as it would go. Shot off the outside of a corner at about 80mph and needless to say, the injuries sustained.... he didn't make it. The only thing keeping me from laying awake at night is the fact it wasn't a poorly built bike. Riding season upon us, I will remind anyone reading this to ride safe, please wear at least a helmet, and it's better to slow it down and ride another day than to be a hero and get hurt.)
amen to that Ben.

whiy do ya keep popin up vids ya buggar ;) evry time I get hooked into watchin tha other ones that come withit :D ya got nice open roads there fer sure mate.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to second i'd say is where it makes most difference. you can just fan the clutch from 5th to 4th you wont feel too much drama at the wheel. and 2nd to 1st you're usually idling up to a light.

saving the clutch is one aspect but another reason people do it in racing is to learn how not to abruptly upset the traction while braking into a corner. or if you realise you want to downshift mid corner for better drive out. But you're already leaned over pretty good. so you want to make sure when you downshift there's not that abrupt yank of deceleration when you let the clutch out. so you learn to just give that throttle a nice little snap so the shift feels seamless

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Rat, watching those old needles flop around makes me miss my single cam. :D The clocks on that bike were always smooth and steady....until you hit WOT then they went batshit crazy :D Was a lot of fun. :rock:

(please ignore the stupid vid descriptions. At the time i was riding a stock '76 F with the mileage shown in the vids. i was tired of the guys at sohc4.com saying a 750 Four was lucky to hit anything over 110. And yes, that speedo was gps-proven to be correct :) )

Sorry for the hi-jack. But yeah, blip on the downshift in everything I've ever owned with a clutch. I even got my gf doing now :D

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Pull in the clutch, chop throttle, lift your toe, let the clutch back back out. Rolling throttle back on is optional. 99 times out of 100 that's how I downshift, because a downshift means I want to slow down.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yea. throttle blipping can be kinda overrated in a way. sometimes its fine to just clutch in downshift clutch out. Understanding the difference between when you would rather do which and why simply takes time more or less. And a lot of times I throttle blip just because it sounds cool and I want to turn heads.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
At first i thought you meant how some guys sit at a light and blip the throttle every few seconds just cause. To me if your blipping the throttle there needs to be a legitimate reason for it, such as your bike is literally going to die if you dont, or your rev matching like everyone else said. Otherwise its just annoying.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
yea no he means for downshifting tecnique

I meant I do it because it sounds cool... when downshifting. I suppose I goose it at the light now and again (if you heard my bike on the pipe you'd certainly understand).. but not constantly like some of them guys.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
yea. throttle blipping can be kinda overrated in a way. sometimes its fine to just clutch in downshift clutch out. Understanding the difference between when you would rather do which and why simply takes time more or less. And a lot of times I throttle blip just because it sounds cool and I want to turn heads.
Right.

I only do it when I'm kinda getting after it. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd on my '80 at about 50mph will cause my rear tire to chatter if I just click down and bang out on the clutch. But like R&R said, natural mechanical instinct will already tell you that it's a no-no.

On just a normal stop, clutch in and gear down til your back in 1st. Nothing fancy.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
Hmm, I blip to Rev match on every down shift. May be it is a twin thing since the engine braking is enough that I usually don't have to use the brakes at intersections aside from the last 5 mph.

I don't remember how long it took to learn but it is second nature now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts