Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of pestering, she finally relented! :party: :rock:

It currently looks exactly like this:

Budget is pretty limited ATM so I'm initially thinking of just removing the fairing, getting a top yoke conversion for straight bars, a new headlight and that's about it... for now. ;) I want it to be a fully reversible conversion so no chopping up the subframe etc (I can get stuff off eBay for that, at a later date).

Anyone done one of these? What I'd really like is suggestions as to what top yoke to get. I'm definitely not going to drill the current top yoke though. Searching for "GSXR top yoke conversion" (or something similar) throws up so many threads it'd take hours just to trawl through the results to find out if they're relevant or not. I'm more than happy to read up about this, it's just finding the relevant threads first. :rolleyes:

All pointers and advice much appreciated. Ta. :)

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
If you want to make it fully reversible, your best bet is to buy a new triple and then build off that one. That way you can keep all your stock parts. You'll most likely need new cables up front as well. just an FYI. I'd hit the pics forums to see what others have done, get some ideas and then DW amigo!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yea best bet buy a used triple and drill that out. Chop the can remap it single round 7in headlight male sure you clip the wires back far enough to we're you put the stock connectors back on and wrap it so no one will ever know. For dirty bars you will need longer brake clutch and possible throttle lines/cables.

I can't get my wife to ride a 250 or even on the back of my bike so do your wife's bike up right

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
The throttle cables should fit with risers if you route them behind the too triple. Clutch cable will fit. Brake lines won't fit. Front controls should fit just fine

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: eccles291

·
Angry Northerner
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. This is all in the early stages ATM but it IS gonna happen! :Evil_smile:

I just got out of hospital earlier this week after chest surgery so I'm not in any sort of physical condition to DW.... yet. This is my planning stage, which is really fucking frustrating but also exciting too. I'm not an engineer/machinist/mechanic but I'm not completely useless either and I'm happy to get stuck in and have a go. I've got the bike, a garage with power and light, a half decent set of tools (you can never have 'enough' tools though, right?!) and a bike ramp so all the main things are in place. I just need to get a plan together now. :jump_fire:

This isn't gonna be a show stopping conversion, merely an every day useable, cheap SF. It's taken me long enough to persuade 'er indoors to let me do this so it can't be anything too drastic. That's probably not a bad thing either TBH cos it's my first project too so expect a lot of threads/posts from me along the lines of, "How the fuck do I do X/Y/Z?" :LolLolLolLol:

My current train of thought for the conversion is this:

Top Yoke
I was initially thinking of a new top yoke - I found a full kit at topyokes.com here - which is for a black anodised top yoke, risers, brake line & Renthal bars which comes in at £277 delivered. Not too bad I thought but then there are certain bars I like the look of and others I really don't so I need to look through some pics and find out which ones I like and find out what model they are.

I've also started to wonder about getting a used OE yoke from eBay and drilling that meself.

Clocks
I'd like to use the original clocks, mainly to save money but also it means less pissing around whilst also having the bonus of keeping the loom unmolested and the bike's mileage accurate too. I'll have to look at exactly where/how to position them and then make a bracket for them.

Headlight
This is one of my main issues with a lot of SFs. So often a great looking bike is badly let down by a headlight that looks fucking gash! Whilst others look the dogs bollocks!

For instance, this is fucking awesome:

I also quite like this arrangement too:

Exhaust
For now, I'll keep the Scorpion can that's on the bike as it is and look to do something with a different one at a later date.

Bodywork
Obviously I'll remove the fairing but I'll keep all the rest of it as it is. The subframe bolts on so a replacement can be bought and altered for a better suited arse-end in time without chopping shit up for now.

So that's all I can think of for now. As usual, any thoughts you guys have are much appreciated. I know next to nowt about exactly HOW I'm gonna do this but with time and some help from you lot I'm sure I'll get there. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts