Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got an 06 Kawi 636 that came somewhat fighterer'd. The "headlights" have since been moved off the forks to the ram air intake thing with some brackets that took less than ten minutes to make. The tail section that it came with is this ugly-as-sin conglomerate of checkerplate, rivets, and red LED's that honestly looks way worse than the pictures could show but, thanks to my skill (LOL) with electrical tape and resistors, at least the brake LED's now dim enough to function as tail light as well. I've got a lot of work ahead of me to make this into a stylish bike but right now it's at least functional and still fun as heck. It definitely turns heads because nobody knows what the hell it is - except ugly :D

So, I look to you fine folks with good taste in all things fighterer-ish to help me pick out a few parts. I like everything from fighter to cafe racer to stunt bike styling, so anything in between would fit my tastes as long as it all fits with the rest.

Headlights: I like the V-Rod and the Ducati Monster headlights. Not sure which I prefer. Also need to find some brackets that'll allow me to mount it without smashing into that ram air thing on the frame.

Handlebars: Not sure if I want to go with a raised set of clip-ons for a little more relaxed posture, or some dirt bars. I definitely need to do something though, as I rip around town more than I even think about the track (for now, at least)

Shorty levers: as long as I stick with ASV, CRG, or Pazzo's, I'm good, right?

Tail: I don't want to make the ass end look full-on insect, like the factory ninja tail. I think it would look even worse with the rest of the bike missing its plastics. I'm no fab wizard but I'm not afraid to cut, drill, and use a heat gun to make something that's already close fit into place. If you're a fab wizard willing to build a piece that would look good and fit an integrated taillight, I'd be interested in hiring you. Heck, maybe I should just get some steel and start cutting, bending, and welding? Ugh.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Attachments

·
Fucking Newb...Oh wait
7,631 Posts
Don't know if there was a question in there somewhere, but just as some insight... I'm a big fan of tire to tail gap, which this has none of. If I were you, and this is once again just opinio based I'd just scrap the subframe and hugger and go for a sleeker more modern tail. In doing so you can get a subframe with it and simply modify the subframe to fit the frame lugs you have. I honestly believe that may be easier than trying to bring whats going on back there back to life lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol. I was looking for tips on what to go with for handlebars, headlights, and most importantly, tail section.

Thanks for the advice stuntninja but could you give me a bit more info please? Did you mean,get ahold of a subframe from a Ducati or something and make that fit? Replacing the subframe is something I actually didn't consider and I think you're right about it being easier than dealing with... Well, whatever that is there. Haha

·
Fucking Newb...Oh wait
7,631 Posts
Lol. I was looking for tips on what to go with for handlebars, headlights, and most importantly, tail section.

Thanks for the advice stuntninja but could you give me a bit more info please? Did you mean,get ahold of a subframe from a Ducati or something and make that fit? Replacing the subframe is something I actually didn't consider and I think you're right about it being easier than dealing with... Well, whatever that is there. Haha
I would look for a tail design you like, and see if it's realistic to get a subframe with it. It takes a little of the fab work out if you have something to work with. Most of the time, this will simply entail changing the mounting points on either the new subframe or grafting the ones off of whatevers left of yours to make it work. The ram air ducting could be interesting to fight around on that bike, It'll have you pushing the headlight further out to get sufficient airflow. Honestly, I've seen the ram air ducts damn near completely covered on those bikes with little to no loss of power. Handlebars... well thats always fun. Sit on different bikes, find something that feels good for you. Remember, aesthetics are important, but how you feel on the bike is moreso.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would look for a tail design you like, and see if it's realistic to get a subframe with it. It takes a little of the fab work out if you have something to work with. Most of the time, this will simply entail changing the mounting points on either the new subframe or grafting the ones off of whatevers left of yours to make it work. The ram air ducting could be interesting to fight around on that bike, It'll have you pushing the headlight further out to get sufficient airflow. Honestly, I've seen the ram air ducts damn near completely covered on those bikes with little to no loss of power. Handlebars... well thats always fun. Sit on different bikes, find something that feels good for you. Remember, aesthetics are important, but how you feel on the bike is moreso.
Thanks for the advice. Now begins the search for a good looking tail to put on mine :D Now that I look at it, the 09-11 zx10R has a nice looking tail without too much extra plastic, plus it's got enough room for all the electrical garbage too.

As for the headlight, I think I've decided on the VROD. Now I just gotta find a bracket that leaves enough room to clear the ram air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts