Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
E=MC Vagina
6,908 Posts
Seat time buddy, just keep riding.

btw, I dont believe for a second that you used to ride dirtbikes. :fu:
i was thinking the same thing but didnt wanna say anything...

dude for what its worth there is nothing wrong with being a novice theres plenty here and we're willing to help out as best we can just dont lie.it makes it hard to advise you on the right shit if we think your better than you really are. i cold care less if you dont know how to ride a bicycle just dont lie.....and riding a 50 once when you were ten doesnt count as "i used to ride dirt bikes"

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Seat time buddy, just keep riding.

Focus on being smooth, always use the clutch for upshifts and downshifts. Rev-matching will become second nature if you just focus on being smooth. Once you develop some actual skill you will realize that you can upshift without the clutch, but that is not something that concerns you right now. For example, i've been starting to ride alot in prep for some hare scrambles, and I almost never use the clutch to upshift because in that environment, i need to go fast, and save energy and reduce arm pump. For casual street riding, use the clutch, always.

btw, I dont believe for a second that you used to ride dirtbikes. :fu:

You dont need the clutch for downshifting either but its all in the timing both ways.

HEMP, dont worry about rev matching just yet. What you want to do, no matter what rpm you are down shifting from is dont just dump the clutch. You want to ease the clutch out and drag it a little. This helps control the rear wheel.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
oh and i agree, i dont think you spent much time on a dirt bike because everyone knows dirt riders make the best street riders :) if you aint slidin, you aint ridin.

Hell ya shift, new sig material!!!!!

+rep shift.

BTW, that is def the best advice to give. When i said focus on being smooth, shift articulated it better. Slowly let out the clutch as if every shift was from a standstill. Then you will naturally realize how to be quicker and stay smooth. That will all lead to rev matching, etc....

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
oh and i agree, i dont think you spent much time on a dirt bike because everyone knows dirt riders make the best street riders :) if you aint slidin, you aint ridin.

Thats about tha long and short ofit fer sure :D

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
You dont need the clutch for downshifting either but its all in the timing both ways.
haha, very true

I end up doing that in my car when I'm trying to smoke, eat, talk on the phone, and steer with my knee at the same time. :doh:

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
BTW, that is def the best advice to give. When i said focus on being smooth, shift articulated it better. Slowly let out the clutch as if every shift was from a standstill. Then you will naturally realize how to be quicker and stay smooth. That will all lead to rev matching, etc....
Especially when you drop more than 1 gear :)

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts

·
student
1,347 Posts
haha, very true

I end up doing that in my car when I'm trying to smoke, eat, talk on the phone, and steer with my knee at the same time. :doh:

you cant do that on your bike too? newb

i dont worry about any of this and idk if im doing it right i just ride and when i need to slow down i just pull the clutch and go to whatever gear i need to to start again and when i need to stop i just hit the clutch and coast while downshifting to first.

I drive my car the same way:confused: am i wrong? im never tried to rev match or anything

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
you cant do that on your bike too? newb

i dont worry about any of this and idk if im doing it right i just ride and when i need to slow down i just pull the clutch and go to whatever gear i need to to start again and when i need to stop i just hit the clutch and coast while downshifting to first.

I drive my car the same way:confused: am i wrong? im never tried to rev match or anything

I do that when I'm being lazy, but most of the time I stay in the proper gear for my speed so that instant power is available. bike and car.

·
Redneck Dumbass
5,796 Posts
It's simple. You always want the engine RPM's to be in the power band, whatever that happens to be for your particular bike. If your above it, shift up. If your below it, shift down.

Reactions: up2L8

·
Please facerape yourself.
404 Posts
There's something satisfying about a good revmatch. Someday you might be able to dump the clutch while revmatching and trailbreaking if you practice enough. It gets to be something you don't think about any more.

I doubt you're pushing it hard enough downshifting for the rear tire to skip and sway, but if you are and you find that it's getting a little crazy back there, you can engage the clutch and it'll settle down. You can also use your clutch as a poor-man's slipper by engaging it half-way. Just don't make it a habit of riding around with the clutch engaged half-way all the time... in high-rpms if you're doing this day in and day out, it'll destroy your clutch. Or you can just wait until the RPMs are lower and click down easily.

The clutch is your friend. Learn it, love it. There's many different ways to do it, just remember that the bike should be riding smooooooth...

·
Please facerape yourself.
404 Posts
If you're downshifting to get back in the power band or to overttake someone I typically just hold on to the clutch or rev it a little more while engaging the clutch and then quickly disengaging after shifting down. When you do this, the bike shouldn't shutter or shake and you should continue to be going the same speed as you were when you were in a higher gear. The only thing that should change is that the rpms went a little higher and you're in a lower gear. The way that you practice this is first by letting the clutch out slow.. the better you get at it, the less you'll be using the clutch to smooth things out.

In a car it looks like this:

I hope some of this makes sense. It becomes something you no longer think about.

·
Kicks Ass
1,790 Posts
4 pages is a lot to read and I dont have very much time but I wanted to contribute.

Usually the first gear is used to get the bike moving. while downshifting you may notice a much higher pitch if shifting down into first gear while slowing. While it may or may not be proper technique I usually stay in second while slowing until I get very close to stopping and then I will drop it into first. my :twocents:

·
HempinZomniax
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
too who ever didnt believer i rode.. i never said i rode dirt bikes, i did ride enduros.. i had two before the ninja.. its how i got the ninja. and how i learned to ride

·
HempinZomniax
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
4 pages is a lot to read and I dont have very much time but I wanted to contribute.

Usually the first gear is used to get the bike moving. while downshifting you may notice a much higher pitch if shifting down into first gear while slowing. While it may or may not be proper technique I usually stay in second while slowing until I get very close to stopping and then I will drop it into first. my :twocents:

thats what ive been doing today and it seemed to work fine, i had a friend follow and he said its improving a need to still learn the rpms, im listening to it rather than viewing on my gauge as i dont think its set right.

and thank you guys by the way, really

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
too who ever didnt believer i rode.. i never said i rode dirt bikes, i did ride enduros.. i had two before the ninja.. its how i got the ninja. and how i learned to ride

oh shit, i forgot, enduro's aren't dirtbikes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

please, enlighten me, what enduro's did you own?

·
HempinZomniax
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
oh shit, i forgot, enduro's aren't dirtbikes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

please, enlighten me, what enduro's did you own?

never said enduros weren't dirt bikes either haha.. just said i didnt ride dirt bikes specifically.

sooo :fu: hahaha

i had a Lifan gy 200cc and some customish make it kinda looked like a motard more than an enduro, i honestly should a kept that one ( the black one) it was fucking fun and FAST! it was mall and light you could literally pick up the back end with two fingers i miss it=[

it wont let me post pictures so here

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/99767024.jpg/

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/96560243.jpg/

and i coulda used that headlight on my fighter!!!

theese guys ova here lol ... if you don't believe their mine its what ever really haha i dont care im too high n tired lol, il take a picture of my garage with my ninja in it on that ridiculous red floral carpet. cant mistake thatt haha

found thees on craigs, fixed em up a bit painted, put em on craigs again and got some cash offers but got a trade offer took the ninja ;]

·
GURU
8,827 Posts

Not to call bs but in your other thread about your friend dropping your bike you said, "Got the bike used, and am learning slowly on general maintanace never owned a bike before.. the bikes been sitting in his garage a few months than sat in mine.. finally got a chance to get some real oil in it.."

so which is it?

·
HempinZomniax
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Not to call bs but in your other thread about your friend dropping your bike you said, "Got the bike used, and am learning slowly on general maintanace never owned a bike before.. the bikes been sitting in his garage a few months than sat in mine.. finally got a chance to get some real oil in it.."

so which is it?

should have used better wording, never owned or rode a SPORT bike before, and the bike sat in the guys garage who previously owned it, not my friend, my fiend wishes he had my bike lol no really he thinks its his =/ when i go over he just sits on it with sunglasses

and as far as when had the 2 enduros i didnt learn shit about them mechanics wise, i rode em..

21 - 40 of 74 Posts