Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, im sure there is a reason i shouldn't have done this, but on my ex250, i mounted up a front tire on the rear, stock was 100/80/16-130/80/16 now i have 100/80/16 on both front and rear, i havent run into any problems but i dont ride like im racing, but the lighter weight tire gave me like 10mph on my top end... so now itll do 105 :LolLolLolLol:

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
oh dear God I hope you're kidding...that's a BIG change, you're playing with fire. That tire is too skinny for that rim and you're stretching it in ways it wasn't designed. I'll be surprised if you don't slip the bead and have a blowout, or lose it in a corner, or worse. Get a 130 man. Don't mess with that.

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the ex250 rear rim wad made for a 120 rear tire, and when dunlop stopped making the 120's they used a 130, its a 2.5" wide rim, i looked it up online and somewhere i saw a chart that said a 2.5 rim could fit a 100-130 tire, i hope thats true

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
oh my god. i hope so too!

this is pretty funny. you put a front tire on the rear, not 100% sure that its safe, THEN you go out and find out how fast you can go...THEN you ask us if its safe AFTER!

:LolLolLolLol:

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, yea.... i researched if the tire would safely fit the rim, i just heard something about the front and rear being designed differently or if there was a reason they always used a thinner rubber up front, because my reasoning tells me that 2 tires the same size would handle best... but then you get into needing a thicker tire to handle rear wheel power, and you dont wanna put a biggen up front that you dont need.... its not like a put a 100 width on the back of a 600, its an ex250 haha

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
enrico vespa said:
tires are damn important
+1

I've known people to plug them :wtf:
You only got 2 ! Keep them fresh and sticky :party-smiley:

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
If the bike would have handled better with different tire sizes, it would have come with different tire sizes.

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
endo said:
If the bike would have handled better with different tire sizes, it would have come with different tire sizes.
on the contrary.... ive been around on the 250 forums, and alot of people say that kawasaki used to use a 120/80 on the rear then when dunlop (the main supplier of kawi tires) stopped making that size they decided to pinch a 130/80 in the 2.5 inch rim, and supposedly a 120 is EXACTLY what a 2.5" rim fits

i wanted a little more top speed 90 wasnt really cutting the mustard for me and when i switched from a 130 to a 120 the weight made a big difference i think the 5 lb difference in the rotational mass of the pair as opposed to the stock is equal to like 30 lbs on the frame...

sorry, but it sounds like I got on here ask your opinion then say you're wrong, lol....

but new news, i have the drunken idea to chop my tail, i just need to figure out what to do with my fusebox, voltage regulator, and that ugly coolant resivior!:LolLolLolLol: :knucks:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
haha. well be careful with the cutting tools when your drunk!

but do it!!

wow...a 2.5" rim. mines like a 6". jesus.

·
I WRECK ALOT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh no, cant do any work now... my dad has a shop with every tool i can need, cept a plasma cutter and a mig welder, jst have the arc welder.... but thats 7 miles away, and thats just wayyy to far haha

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
An ex250 with a chopped tail makes me happy inside.

Saying 5 pounds of unsprung rotational mass is equal to 30 pounds of sprung static mass is a little bit of a misnomer, but lowering unsprung weight and rotational mass makes more of a difference than sprung static weight... there's just no real equation.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
A lot of people say a lot of things man. I'm just saying that safety and performance are always at the front of every manufacturers mind (even on a 250). A 120 to a 130 is not a big deal. A 130 to a 100 is. Let me put it this way, if a 120 was such a great tire, why would Dunlop stop making that size? Maybe it was because Kawasaki said "this bike will work better with a 130". To my knowledge, not many bikes using that type of tire use a 120, so if Kawi changed the size, it wouldn't need to be produced. I'm saying do what you want, but I don't wanna read a RIP thread because your bead slipped or you leaned over too far and washed out. Just trying to keep ya around.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
well, i've owned a few bikes with 2.5 FRONT rims with 110's on them (stock) and have put 100's on them just fine. i would be more concerned with the profile of the tire than anything else. front tire profiles are waaaaay different than rears. cornering on a bike puts alot of load on the rear tire, and i'd imagine that the contact patch of a front tire mounted on the rear is quite a bit less than having a rear on the rear. probably turns in real quick though, lol.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Yeah that's what I was talkin about steering geometry. I guess it would have a really quick drop off when you lean too far.

How different does it handle with the 100 on back?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts