Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so my team is building an fzr600.... "they" say that swapping the swing arm to a modern 600(or whatever) with a 180(190) tire on it make the fzr handle like dog shit...the best set up is a yzf600 swap with a 160-1170... so my question is...will we be judged on the look of a cooler swing arm and fatter tire while sacrificing the handling of the bike. We could easily swap to an r6 rear set up but i want this bike to ride as good as it will look...

so my question is...what would score more point...flashy bling new parts we "get to work" on the fzr or fuction over form and do what makes the bike ride better, yet still a good amount of custom work?

·
Registered
371 Posts
well brotha....the way it rides is way more important......why have a "cool" looking bike that rides like shit....my rear tire is a 160 or 170and i think it looks just fine........

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweet...all on the same page, thanks :bigred:

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
Your friends are right.. a YZF 600 rear end would be good. But if you want maximum performance from an FZR you's need an FZR 400 swingarm with a TZR wheel. Shorten's the wheel base but widen's the rear tire..

YZF rear end will give you pretty much both end of what your looking for, looks and handling.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good infor on the 400-tz swap...that wheel would probably blow the budget and be too soft for new england streets though...

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
my stock sv is a 160 rear, I'm planning to swap the rear wheel with spacers to a 180. PPL say, oh since it's wider, you wound turn in quick enough on corners.......

Well if thats the case, why are all the GP bikes 180 rear wheels?

I can see their point with thinner wheels and turn in, BUT there'd be less contact tire to the ground with a thin tire which means less stability. I'll be looking forward to trying out that 180 to see a difference.

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
enrico vespa said:
my stock sv is a 160 rear, I'm planning to swap the rear wheel with spacers to a 180. PPL say, oh since it's wider, you wound turn in quick enough on corners.......

Well if thats the case, why are all the GP bikes 180 rear wheels?

I can see their point with thinner wheels and turn in, BUT there'd be less contact tire to the ground with a thin tire which means less stability. I'll be looking forward to trying out that 180 to see a difference.

GP bike run a 180 mostly because of the way they are built.. just like the way R6's Gsxr 600's and so on, are built. Wheelbase, neck angle's, height, weight transfer of the bike itself aswell as the basic size rider, and power plant of the bike.

The reason Yamaha put a thinner tire on the FZR is because it doesnt push that much power, and was bult to be more nimble because of that. They had to make it up somehow.. right?

An R6 on the other hand put's more power to the ground so in order to tame that power and have it be control able in the turns and straights they put a 1-1 1/2" longer swingarm on it and threw a wider tire under the rear.

Same respect goes to the 1000's and the Busa 1300's

thinner tire = more flickable turning
Wider tire = less flickable turning + more rubber to the ground for bigger power plants

Your SV is a 650 correct? I see going to a 170, but even though a 180 would look pretty damn sweet.. I think it would take away from the handling. UNLESS you shortened the swingarm by about an 1", that being said it might be close to evening it self out. But if you go wider, go 170.

All the people I know with R1's ( R1's mind you come stock with a 190) drop down to a 180 becasue they handle 10 x's better then the stock size. Its like night and day

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the bigger bikes need the traction

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
I run a 180 most of the time on my 1,000, because it steers quicker makes the bike turn in and steer alot quicker!!!! .I think Because it is more concaved or more curved and the 190 is more flat ??? I like running the 180 pirrelli race tire ??

All this ya'll know ...............I know !!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
The RC51 (& most other current literbikes) come with equipped with a 190/50 tire. The first thing most owners do is throw it away & put on a 180/55 or 190/55 tire. The reason for this is the 180/55 tire is a taller tire than the 190/50 & aids in the overall handling of the bike making it turn-in easier. The 190/55 is an even better choice as it gives you an even taller diameter so you get all the benefits & then some of the 180/55 plus way more rubber on the ground when leaned over (when compared to the 180/55). The downside is that the 190/55 tires are more expensive sometimes WAY more expensive than their 180/55 siblings & the taller the tire is the more you will have to adjust your bikes suspension geometry to make it handle properly (i.e. hold a line without putting pressure on the bars, not want to stand up on the brakes & not run wide on corner exit etc...)

so its the sidewall height (50, 55) that makes the dif. although i ran a 200/50 on the 929 and it felt like the turn in, while not as quick, was more dramatic than the 190.. :twocents:

http://www.rc51.org/tires.htm

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
929_adam said:
The RC51 (& most other current literbikes) come with equipped with a 190/50 tire. The first thing most owners do is throw it away & put on a 180/55 or 190/55 tire. The reason for this is the 180/55 tire is a taller tire than the 190/50 & aids in the overall handling of the bike making it turn-in easier. The 190/55 is an even better choice as it gives you an even taller diameter so you get all the benefits & then some of the 180/55 plus way more rubber on the ground when leaned over (when compared to the 180/55). The downside is that the 190/55 tires are more expensive sometimes WAY more expensive than their 180/55 siblings & the taller the tire is the more you will have to adjust your bikes suspension geometry to make it handle properly (i.e. hold a line without putting pressure on the bars, not want to stand up on the brakes & not run wide on corner exit etc...)

so its the sidewall height (50, 55) that makes the dif. although i ran a 200/50 on the 929 and it felt like the turn in, while not as quick, was more dramatic than the 190.. :twocents:

http://www.rc51.org/tires.htm

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa that's da ticket !! :LolLolLolLol:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
haha. its good to know what youre talking aboot. :D

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
i've never had any canadian in me, thanks...except canadian bacon on my eggs benedict. mmmm thats good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts