V four honda whore
12,300 Posts
fixed those crooked bends yet?

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fixed those crooked bends yet?
yes mate, it wasnt so bad once i cut them to length, and a bit of heat etc seems fine now. or at least not as noticable on the bike.

·
V four honda whore
12,300 Posts
looked bad in one of pics you posted in thread, but that might be camera angle. was shitty on facebook tho

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looked bad in one of pics you posted in thread, but that might be camera angle. was shitty on facebook tho
Think it was camera angle, may have been some movement from heat while welding that may have helped

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
regarding your welds, some (hopefully) constructive criticism: I suspect you aren't getting things as clean as they need to be for TIG to work well. I also suspect you're using a fairly long arc length.

IMO, for someone working on learning TIG, if you aren't dipping your electrode reasonably often your arc length is most likely too long.

Reactions: tldave and titan

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regarding your welds, some (hopefully) constructive criticism: I suspect you aren't getting things as clean as they need to be for TIG to work well. I also suspect you're using a fairly long arc length.

IMO, for someone working on learning TIG, if you aren't dipping your electrode reasonably often your arc length is most likely too long.
i have spent a lot of time grinding tunston :D i was definently not as close on the Gusset welds as i could have been but mainly down to position. i do plan on redressing them welds later. i think i was between 1-2mm of the surface but will try and get a bit closer.

i terms of cleaning up the metal, that has been my main focus here, every thing is getting, de greases, sanded - orbital in most cases but where needed the old flapper to to remove grim. its hardest on the old frame sections. lastly its getting wiped off with acetone and finally a clean SS wire brush just before welding..

very much still a work in progress on the tig front but appreciate the observations

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
In that case I'm surprised at all the oxidation on your welds. Are you running a gas lens? What size cup, what argon flow rate? Are you wiping your filler rod off too?

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In that case I'm surprised at all the oxidation on your welds. Are you running a gas lens? What size cup, what argon flow rate? Are you wiping your filler rod off too?
Standard set up so no gas lense. Using a size 7 cup, around 10-12ft/h ( this is probably the problem area as I need a better regulator) filler rods are all cleaned off before use, rubbed down with scotch bright.

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you guys getting these custom drop triples from? Is that cheaper than extending the forks?
I was given this by my brother in-law off a project he never finished

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
Standard set up so no gas lense. Using a size 7 cup, around 10-12ft/h ( this is probably the problem area as I need a better regulator) filler rods are all cleaned off before use, rubbed down with scotch bright.

I've never cleaned filler with abrasive, I just use acetone on a paper towel

that's a little on the low side as far as flow rate goes but if your stickout isn't too far I doubt it's your problem, so I wonder what's going on.

I'd suggest a gas lens just so you can run more stickout and less gas flow - it'll save you money pretty quickly. a China/Amazon supply kit is fine but I'd recommend buying a name brand lens itself, one of the ones in my Amazon kit didn't work right (I think it was plugged up somehow). I got gas flow per the regulator but got tons of oxidation, switched to a different one and it works great.

Reactions: tldave and titan

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never cleaned filler with abrasive, I just use acetone on a paper towel

that's a little on the low side as far as flow rate goes but if your stickout isn't too far I doubt it's your problem, so I wonder what's going on.

I'd suggest a gas lens just so you can run more stickout and less gas flow - it'll save you money pretty quickly. a China/Amazon supply kit is fine but I'd recommend buying a name brand lens itself, one of the ones in my Amazon kit didn't work right (I think it was plugged up somehow). I got gas flow per the regulator but got tons of oxidation, switched to a different one and it works great.
I have some lenses, just never used one. I'll give it a go. Cheers for the tip

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
a lens lets you stick the tungsten out farther and/or use less gas, no real downside IMO

Reactions: MDM and titan

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
You know that those subframe gussets are not the best design, right? For maximum strength they should be aligned to the sides of the tubes, and not welded along the central line. Best described in Tony Foale's articles, such as this one - https://motochassis.com/Articles/Frame.mod/KawaMods.htm :winko:

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know that those subframe gussets are not the best design, right? For maximum strength they should be aligned to the sides of the tubes, and not welded along the central line. Best described in Tony Foale's articles, such as this one - https://motochassis.com/Articles/Frame.mod/KawaMods.htm :winko:
No but I do now will read up and add more if required. Thanks very much

Reactions: MDM

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you should keep the frame that lighter shade of blue. its nice.
Not sure on colour yet, I know what I'm doing with the tank I'll work to out frame colour after. The front wheel and for lowers are a grey colour so may just stick with that or maybe go with a gun metal. Juries still out till it's mocked up

1 - 20 of 68 Posts