Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this TL a few months ago, but havent got much time to work on it. Now that the Speed Triple, 91 GSXR, 97 GSXR, and 900RR are all sold off and I finished up the rebuild on my car engine for winter, I can finally DO WORK on this thing!!

Plans for this one aren't super grand at the moment. My main use for this bike is a development platform for design and testing of billet parts. First things are going to be mirrors, rearsets, headlight mounts, then maybe shock conversion parts.

Picked it up from a guy who put if down going over some railroad tracks. He didn't even know about the radial shock issues .. but I think it had something to do with both forks pissing oil all over the place!

Started the strip

Needed a new subframe and tank badly!

It came with a Corbin seat that i was super excited about. Then I rode it around and I hated it. It was rock hard, got in the way of my legs at a stand-still, and the front bracket wasn't quite strong enough to hold the seat in place while riding!!! Egh .. I still dont know what to do with it.

So I bought a crap seat off ebay. If fits much better and actually stays in place while riding! Oh and I also decided that I hate the TLS fender, so I found a beat up TLR fender on ebay.

First attempt at recovering a seat! Easy peasy .. took less than an hour! No super
pneumatic/electric staple gun necessary.

All done! Not too bad for a first try. I am going to ride it a bit to let the vinyl relax into shape some more, then re stretch and staple the leg dip.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Nice for sure now show us more billet

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got this thing rolling on it's own power again!

Shortly after my last post, one of the rear intake valves suddenly went out of spec and started spewing combustion into my intake manifold. After my move to Vancouver, I found a good dealership that would sell me a single shim. All valves back in spec and fire it up!

Except the stupid F'ing spark plugs keep fouling. Apparently this engine is special and NEEDS the dual ground electrode "K" plugs. I tried getting away with the single electrodes but they just wouldnt hold out for more than a week. Anyway, got the right plugs in and runs great!

Made me some fancy sauce fender integrated LED turn signals.

Kinda like the look sans tail plastics

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice for sure now show us more billet
Gonna have to wait on billet for this bike .. got some lucrative gun projects taking up all my time at the moment!

Definitely a nice start. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Once I get my headlight figured out and get measurements what is a rough idea on what you would charge for a pair of brackets? I like your work and would like to try to support a fellow member. Thanks
It completely depends on the dimensions, thickness, number of setups required on the machine, etc. For some basic ones like the ones pictured in this thread, around $50 for the pair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts