Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
"More than meets the eye"
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I saw an ad for a Suzuki TL 1000 S at a bargain price. Not running and (in his words) top-end bearings need replacement. I started talking to him but was still wondering how to get all the money together. Then I suddenly started get money in for stuff that suddenly started selling. I was able to convince him I was committed and definitely was gonna buy it...and so many people bugged him for it and I do believe him because of what this bike is and what the price was.

Now, I have always been hoping, maybe dreaming of one day owning a TL...and now I will. I am so in love with these 1000cc v-twins...now I will have both a Honda and a Suzuki. :party-smiley::party-smiley::party-smiley:

He wanted to spend lots of money on it like installing turbo and so on. But in the mean time his wife fell pregnant and he is also quite busy with his aluminium welding shop so he decided to rather sell.

SOOOOOO, at the moment the bike is totally stripped down and all in boxes. Saves me a lot of stripping down time but yeah I have to take his word that everything is there. Must say that I did quite like what I saw.

These pics were his last good pics of the bike which he also used in the advertisement.

Will post pics on Saturday of all the parts layed out when I "take stock" of it for my own sanity.

·
Full Combat Fighter
206 Posts
I just picked up a TLR. Good luck with it. Shitloads of fun to ride. Going to work on her next winter mostly. Ive missed too many seasons to risk any big jobs this year

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! You must also enjoy hey!

I am gonna have to balance my time nicely between these two projects although the Firestorm must get done as it's so close to finished.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked up the TLS tonight. Can't wait to start getting it back together.

Wondering about color...if not Black then I am thinking Yellow. There is someone locally that makes replica sticker sets so I can get her looking very original again. Will have to see if I can get the color code or formula somewhere for the correct Yellow to use.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soooo....I picked up the boxes of parts that resemble a motorcycle...lol

Layed everything out yesterday for a quick "stock take".

The only major missing parts I found to be the exhaust system. Contacted the seller and he seemed a little surprised but I could also hear he seemed a little upset because it means the bike shop that stripped it down didn't pack the exhaust system.

So hopefully during the week that can be sorted.

I first need to get my Firestorm build finished though before too much energy into this one.

In the mean time I will send in the heads as the one needs to be line-bored on the intake cam. Same thing happened as on my Firestorm where the front intake cam's one lobe seized up from lack of oil. I will probably also take the wheels in to have refurbished and have the lips polished too. Things like that which won't take up too much time away from my Firestorm build so that I can hit the ground running when the 'Storm is done.

For some odd reason some pics came out a little blurry but at least you get the idea:

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
"Some assembly required" :D

Can't wait to see where this one goes...

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup...some assembly required....lol

I am itching to do nice fighter build...wifey is dead set against that...wants me to restore to original because of all the parts being there...

·
Full Combat Fighter
206 Posts
You are a brave soul lol. I hate projects that someone else started. Bolts end up missing and damage and previous owners do stupid things and take large amounts of effort to undo.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are a brave soul lol. I hate projects that someone else started. Bolts end up missing and damage and previous owners do stupid things and take large amounts of effort to undo.
So very true hey! And like you said..."damage"...found 1 exhaust header bolt broken and 1 bolt in each of the heads in the head-to-frame mounting points. So extra expense to have them extracted. Hopefully I don't find more such surprises.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just bought some parts off ebay...now to wait for them to arrive

Now you might be wondering about the mounting of these mirrors and thinking they are wrong as they are meant to go on the handlebars but I am keeping the stock fairings...I have a nice plan up my sleeve...

Nice new screen:

These purple grips might reveal my intentions on colour scheme:

Then some nice new levers. I chose all black because other colour options would clash with the grips:

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did a quick bit of stripping on the heads and crank case...was busy making my shopping list of rebuild parts needed like gaskets, rings, etc.

I think I also found the ultimate reason for the intake cam on the front head seizing up.

When I laid everything out last Saturday I noticed the clutch cover not looking too good inside...as if something inside the motor chew the bolt bosses on the inside...but today I found out why:

For some odd reasons all the top tips of the clutch basket has broken off and my logic tells me that is what ground the inside of the clutch cover:

All these little plastic shavings obviously caused some blockage of some oil passages which caused the front intake cam to seize. Fortunately the crank or any other parts didn't pick up any damaged. Will have to clean the heck out of these casings and all passages and orifices.

Reactions: Cookie2000ad

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Holy carnage...

That you can freakin' say again!!! I can just be glad it didn't destroy more of the motor hey...then I would have had to look for a whole motor.

So far I have been able to source the required parts from a local place. Clutch cover they have...he just needs to confirm on front head and the clutch basket/gear as he thinks he does still have. And the best things is his prices are very reasonable.

Waiting for prices from Suzuki on the rebuild spares....hopefully a pleasant surprise rather than a shock.

Reactions: F'dup

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered the clutch cover, clutch basket and headers. Will arrive C.O.D. Their head was sold.

Managed to find a nice front head and intake cam from a guy close to me.

Ordered and paid deposit on parts from Suzuki. Not a total shocker but not a pleasant surprise either. Rings are what's pushing the price up a fair bit. But the total collection of parts I think is at a reasonable price.

Reactions: Cookie2000ad

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received the exhaust headers, clutch cover and clutch basket yesterday in the mail. As you can see the headers aren't stock. Still waiting on the rebuild parts from Suzuki.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up the brake and clutch levers and handlebar grips and blank key today at the post office...still waiting on the double bubble screen and mirrors

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The mirrors and double bubble screen finally also arrived. Didn't take any pics of it as it's the same thing as in the pics above. I just unwrapped all to check that there was no damage during shipping.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mmmmm...will do my best to convince you...lol

Yeah I love the v-twins and their sound...love the power delivery from low down. Hopefully I can get this project going in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Leroy
1 - 20 of 31 Posts