Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These socket trays are on sale, $44 for the whole set. I paid $60 for the two 1/2" (metric and SAE) from the Snappy truck, and I'm like 90% sure they're all made in the same sweatshop. Worth it for sure, as long as your drawers are tall enough to accommodate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351738890040

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,622 Posts
These socket trays are on sale, $44 for the whole set. I paid $60 for the two 1/2" (metric and SAE) from the Snappy truck, and I'm like 90% sure they're all made in the same sweatshop. Worth it for sure, as long as your drawers are tall enough to accommodate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351738890040

You mean throwing them into empty butter and ice cream tubs isn't good enough? :D

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
I've got them in my box and love them.

Anyone have a good way to organize wrenches? I've seen the clip tray things but I don't like having to hold onto the tray as I pull out the wrench I need. I've thought about making my own but haven't taken the time to do it yet. Currently I leave all the metric ones loose in one drawer and SAE wrenches loose in another. I have a lot of them so it works for now. Just annoying when you're in a rush.

·
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Anyone have a good way to organize wrenches? I've seen the clip tray things but I don't like having to hold onto the tray as I pull out the wrench I need. I've thought about making my own but haven't taken the time to do it yet. Currently I leave all the metric ones loose in one drawer and SAE wrenches loose in another. I have a lot of them so it works for now. Just annoying when you're in a rush.
I've been looking for a good wrench solution too. I've got two of the triangular wrench trays in one drawer, with a bunch of extras of various sizes piled up in the remaining space, and it works but I'm not very happy with it. It would probably not work nearly as well if I ever touched the SAE side.
Guy I used to work with had some neat racks that I haven't been able to find, hung on the lid of one of his boxes (always open) and held the wrenches at a bit of an angle. Looked real clean and was easy to find what your were looking for. Unfortunately that only works if you have a wall or vertical surface to mount it to and I like my shit in drawers.

I've been thinking of making some kind of insert that would fill the entire drawer and hold the wrenches vertically (laying down, obv.) in slots, like a normal wrench tray only bigger.

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts

I am totally opposite. I have my sockets in one drawer, loose. I have them organized so I know where they go when I take one out. Wrenches are in the clip trays :D

I don't mind unclipping my wrenches, but you can wrap some sandpaper around a paint stick and open them up a bit if you want them looser.

·
Rollin hard in Wiscompton
3,719 Posts
I've been looking for a good wrench solution too. I've got two of the triangular wrench trays in one drawer, with a bunch of extras of various sizes piled up in the remaining space, and it works but I'm not very happy with it. It would probably not work nearly as well if I ever touched the SAE side.
Guy I used to work with had some neat racks that I haven't been able to find, hung on the lid of one of his boxes (always open) and held the wrenches at a bit of an angle. Looked real clean and was easy to find what your were looking for. Unfortunately that only works if you have a wall or vertical surface to mount it to and I like my shit in drawers.

I've been thinking of making some kind of insert that would fill the entire drawer and hold the wrenches vertically (laying down, obv.) in slots, like a normal wrench tray only bigger.
Here's what I use. Came from Harbor frieght.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50,679 Posts
I am totally opposite. I have my sockets in one drawer, loose. I have them organized so I know where they go when I take one out. Wrenches are in the clip trays :D

I don't mind unclipping my wrenches, but you can wrap some sandpaper around a paint stick and open them up a bit if you want them looser.

Salute! Me 2

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts

I've gone over to peoples places to help with their projects and walked right out when they handed me a bucket/bin of sockets or I open the drawer and the sockets are scattered everywhere. That drives me nuts.

I'm really good at eyeball measuring wrenches but I never seem to get sockets right. I've noticed having those trays has significantly sped up the process of having someone hand me sockets when they have zero mechanical ability. "Medium sized gray tray. I need the long 14." Boom. Done. Otherwise they had to keep picking them up and try to read each socket and hope they put them back in the correct spot.

Ever since I invested in ratcheting wrenches I've been using sockets less and less. I'll have to try out the sandpaper idea. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've gone over to peoples places to help with their projects and walked right out when they handed me a bucket/bin of sockets or I open the drawer and the sockets are scattered everywhere. That drives me nuts.

Same here man. I worked at a local truck accessories shop for a couple weeks not long ago and they had their sockets rolling around in the trays too. Drove me nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've noticed having those trays has significantly sped up the process of having someone hand me sockets when they have zero mechanical ability.
That reminds me, one of the best purchases I've ever made in the world of tool organization... a $17 label maker from Wal-Mart.

"Grab me a 10mm wrench would ya?"
"Sure, where are your wrenches?"
"In the 'wrench' drawer ya tard."

·
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the subject of tool organization, I made me a power tool organizer. Actually did it up a couple weeks ago but forgot to share it.

·
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well. I'm a someone.

·
old, tired, but willing
69 Posts
i know it prob sounds a bit anal but i put all my tools back in the cases and such that they came in from the shop. i always do this at the end of the day whether i'm coming back to it the next day or not. sockets, screwdrivers, spanners, the lot

it doesn't help that i have no shed or garage, i have to do all my stuff in an open carport so anything that gets left out is basically in the weather.

any tools that don't have a case live in the tool drawers which have been lined with non slip rubber matting so they don't slide/roll around when you close or open the drawers or move the tool chests round

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.