Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im gonna be doing some...cutting things out of my fairings. i was thinking of using a dremel, but im not sure if they have a low enough speed setting. i need to be able to cut shapes, corners and round edges as well...

anyone know what would work better than that??? if anything?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
there is a hi and low speed setting...I've used it a bunch to cut things up...seems to work good..

mshap did an awesome job cutting up a 900rr cf fender for jello with it...

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
I think it'll work fine, just use a sharp bit, and TAKE IT SLOW! That's the key here. I've cut through just about every type of plastic know to mankind through all my various hobbies and projects. Taking it slow is definitely the key.

High speed on the tool = melting plastic, big mess

You pushing too fast with the tool = big ugly ruts and nasty cuts

Just take it slow, use light pressure, let the tool do the work, and frequently stop and dip (just the bit) into some water to cool it down. You can aslo keep a spray bottle of water on hand and periodically mist the plastic to help it keep cool when you're cutting.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what kind of bit are we talking here??

maybe a router bit? so i could do better angles?? or a cutting tool?

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
yeah a dremel works great ive tried a roto-zip but thats was a huge mess just get a plastic zip drill bit and that should work just fiine

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i went out and got this:

didnt get a chance to use it yet. . . but i got like 40 tips for it and i bought a couple extra.

anyone else have one of these bad larrys?

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
929_adam said:
so i went out and got this:

didnt get a chance to use it yet. . . but i got like 40 tips for it and i bought a couple extra.

anyone else have one of these bad larrys?
we have one of those at the shop,we used it on polymer (i think thats it)plastic,works good,their allso good for small metal work

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
I'm using a dremel to cut my battery tray down. (for to be chop the tail)
I used a full on, 18,000 RPM pneumatic cutting disc to cut the overlap off when I took off the tail plastics. I was like 'fuck it' and melted the whole thing, now there's big globs of molten plastic hanging off.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
for stock plastics you can use a hot knife too. basically a soldering iron with a hobby knife blade in the end of it. you can usually get hot knife tips for any soldering iron from any radio shack.

·
Bush pilot
591 Posts
skr00zloose said:
for stock plastics you can use a hot knife too. basically a soldering iron with a hobby knife blade in the end of it. you can usually get hot knife tips for any soldering iron from any radio shack.

man, I haven't used hot knives since highschool...:rastaman2: :hippie7: :rasta: :cool-smiley-030: :confused:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahahahah. hot knives. good shit. thx for the info skrooz. . . and yah i remember those days G. ahah not very well tho.

:hippie7:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts